Subject: [Ltru] Re: Update ltru-initial-05 (was RE: Draft-14 ready...)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:40:37 -0700

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

>>>> In section 3 of draft-ietf-ltru-initial-05, it might be useful for
>>>> the document to include the URL of the IANA registry.  It seems to
>>>> me that anyone interested in this document will want to locate the
>>>> IANA registry too."
>>
>> Historically, IANA has moved registries around their site as needed.
>> If you include a URI, you force them to maintain that URI or
>> redirects to an appropriate URI.  I would suggest a pointer to the
>> IANA site instead, since that is likely more stable.
> ...
>
> As a contributor...
> I prefer this alternative, particularly since the document is only
> informational.

Somebody please provide the appropriate text, probably for the first
paragraph of Section 3, and I will be glad to paste it in and submit it
as soon as possible.

I note that RFC 3066 specifies only the following for the location of
its registry:  "The IANA registration forms for registered language
codes can be found at http://www.iana.org/numbers.html under
'languages'."  The exact URI is not given, probably for the reasons of
maintainability that Ted mentioned..

The only other changes to draft-initial that I am aware of are:

1.  The usual changes to dates -- document-submitted, document-expires,
and the File-Date and every single Added date within the initial
registry contents.  (Please don't tell me you want those diffs published
to the list!)

2.  The addition of one primary language subtag, as follows:

Type: language
Subtag: rup
Description: Aromanian
Description: Arumanian
Description: Macedo-Romanian
Added: 2005-10-14  [or whatever]

Does anyone believe there are more changes that I missed?

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:09:05 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
> To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 9:40 PM
> Subject: [Ltru] Re: Update ltru-initial-05 (was RE: Draft-14 ready...)
>
...

How about this:
  The IANA language subtag registry can be found at
  http://www.iana.org/numbers.html under 'Language Tags'.

Note that the 3066 text isn't even right, which serves to underscore
Ted's point.

Randy

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:11:14 +0200

> maintainability that Ted mentioned..

It's a long time ago now, but I think that IANA was unable to commit to a 
specific URI at the time..... I was also feeling slightly burned by the 
fact that the URI from RFC 1766 had stopped working; RFC 1766 had:

   All registered forms are available online in the directory
   ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/languages/

if someone wants to dream about permanent identifiers for the beasts, we 
have some tradition for registering URN schemes that can be resolved to 
IANA resources...... but let's not do that now.....

                     Harald