Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: Update ltru-initial-05

From: r&d afrac <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 01:56:44 +0200

<x-flowed>
At 23:40 15/10/2005, Frank Ellermann wrote:
 >Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
 > > we need to expect IANA to maintain such stability. The other
 > > option is to find another registration authority.
 >
 >The latter option would require a lot of work:  Update several
 >RfCs so that registries could be hosted elsewhere.  Or appoint
 >somebody to maintain PURLs for the IETF if you trust that PURL
 >lives longer than the direct URL.

I thought the idea was to eventualy merge width CLDR?
So the whole thing would be supported on the same machines by the same people?
Every time I asked about the dissemination system and its size,
usage, etc. I was responded "like Unicode"?

 >ACK.  But IMHO it's not the main issue here.  I'd gues that
 >less than 1000 persons worldwide have ever heard of "3066bis".

Please do not say that after an IESG 3066bis LC.
Since I would say that at least 500 knows it through my team ....
and most of these people are concerned by the impact not much by the
technical hosting details.

Now, you would also imply that may be less than 100 ever read it?
So that IETF would go by minority consensus?

 >The relevant reality is defined by "Googlebot finds it" plus
 >"Google shows it among the first 10 hits".  An absolute URL
 >in an RfC is a guarantee to spread the news, even in the worst
 >case (= IANA picks a new URL for the new registry).
 >
 >Without that guarantee we can still hope that IANA picks the
 >old URL for the new registry, because then links on existing
 >pages continue to work for what we want.  E.g. I have a link
 ><http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tags/>

This seems an odd discussion because "lang-tags" is a directory of 92
files. Not a registry of hundredth and then thousands of entries?

 >Okay, I'd update it when necessary, but numerous other folks
 >won't, unless they check links and get a 404.  Standards and
 >regitries are among other things wishful thinking, if nobody
 >knows them or everybody ignores them they are dead.
 >
 >"Search Engine Optimization" is very important.  That's why I
 >proposed to add <http://www.inter-locale.com> to the <author>
 >section:  It will sky rocket Addison's page rank, this page
 >will have an URL to the new registry, Googlebot will find it,
 >and that's how "shaping reality" works today (AFAIK + IMHO).

I am not sure of the interest of the inter-locale.com site in this? A
better IANA site design would be more suitable. You seem to consider
the langtags will not really be used and known? Surprising.
jfc

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

</x-flowed>

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru