Subject: [Ltru] Scored Filtering: Expansion of tags and ranges

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:00:32 +0900

Why do we need to make distinctions between ranges and tags,
and between internal and trailing components in ranges? It
seems it would all be the same if every missing piece (after
suppress-script expansion, see separate mail) were converted
into a '*'. And it would simplify the explanation considerably.

Thinking about it a bit more, there are examples where this
wouldn't work. Take

tag: de-DE-1996, expanded: (de, *, DE, 1996)
range: de-DE, expanded: (de, *, DE, "")

For the last field, neither are they identical, nor is
one of them "*", so we would get a mismatch, with distance 1.
It's very unclear to me why we should get 1 here, and 0
in the reverse case. In filtering, shorter ranges are supposed
to match longer tags, not the other way round.

So I think this should be changed to work the other way round.

Regards,   Martin.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru