Subject: [Ltru] RE: comments on matching-8.txt - markus

From: "Addison Phillips" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:06:34 -0800

Mark opined:

> The comments and dispositions look good. One item: Zzzz already exists
> as a 15924 value, and is thus already allowed, so it is orthogonal to
> this group. The UTC proposal is to tag reserved (not yet allocated to
> characters) code points with it.

I guess the question is whether we need to say anything in particular about 'Zzzz' in matching schemes. Private-use characters have a script of 'Zyyy', so that isn't an issue. I conjecture that nothing need be said about either, as neither sort of script will likely be used to identify a language.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture. 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Mark Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:42:18 -0800

I don't think either needs to be called out.

BTW, the UCD tags all characters that don't belong to a single script 
with Zyyy (Common) or with |/Qaai /|(Inherited, for non-spacing marks). 
But these are should both be resolved away when computing the script of 
a sequence of characters. See:

http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Scripts.txt
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr24/

Mark

---

From: Markus Scherer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:03:32 -0800

So this means that in matching-8.txt
>    Language subtags 'und', 'mul', and the script subtag 'Zyyy' are
>    converted to "*": ...

neither Zyyy nor Zzzz should be called out as special subtags?

markus

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:23:43 +0900

>neither Zyyy nor Zzzz should be called out as special subtags?

Yes, agreeing with Mark and Addison, neither should be called out.
If there was any place to call them out, it would have been the
registry draft, and only to say that they are not relevant as
scripts *for languages*. In matching, they don't have any special
function at all.

Regards,   Martin.