Subject: [Ltru] Re: status of RFC 3066 or RFC 3066bis in relation to HTTP Accept-Language

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:18:21 -0800

McDonald, Ira <imcdonald at sharplabs dot com> wrote:

> The LTRU WG has (perhaps precipitately?) encourage IANA to
> mothball the old registry - newly registered script subtags
> for specific languages will NOT also be registered into the
> defunct old registry - which means that running code that
> checks that registry will NOT explicitly understand that
> those _specific_ subtags are now valid script subtags.

Isn't that exactly what we were chartered to do?  Replace the old with 
the new?

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/ 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:40:55 +0900

At 07:18 06/03/27, Doug Ewell wrote:
 >Isn't that exactly what we were chartered to do?  Replace the old with the new?

Well, the "U" in the name of our group reads "Update", which
some people may argue is different from "Replace".

But another important point is that the old registry really
wasn't intended or designed for automatic lookup, so I
think recommending to somebody that they use the old registry
for checking tags is a rather doubtful idea.

Regards,   Martin.