Subject: [Ltru] Protocol Action: 'Matching of Language Tags' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:51:18 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Matching of Language Tags '
   <draft-ietf-ltru-matching-15.txt> as a BCP

This document is the product of the Language Tag Registry Update Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-matching-15.txt

Technical Summary
  
   This document describes a syntax, called a language-range, for
   specifying items in a user's language preferences, called a language
   priority list.  It also describes different mechanisms for comparing
   and matching these to language tags.  Two kinds of matching
   mechanisms, filtering and lookup, are defined.  Filtering produces a
   (potentially empty) set of language tags, whereas lookup produces a
   single language tag.  Possible applications include language
   negotiation or content selection.  This document, in combination with
   draft-ietf-ltru-registry-14, will become BCP 47, replacing RFC 3066.

Working Group Summary
 
 Working group support for this document is strong.  There was one objection
 raised during IETF Last Call, related to the scope and applicability of the
  work. This objection had previously been considered and rejected in the
working
  group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.  The PROTO shepherd was
 Martin Duerst.

Note to RFC Editor
 
In Section 2:

OLD:

   In a language range, each subtag MUST either
   be a sequence of ASCII alphanumeric characters or the single
   character '*' (%2A, ASTERISK).  The character '*' is a "wildcard"
   that matches any sequence of subtags.  The meaning and uses of
   wildcards vary according to the type of language range.

NEW:

   In a language range, each subtag MUST either
   be a sequence of ASCII alphanumeric characters or the single
   character '*' (%x2A, ASTERISK).  The character '*' is a "wildcard"
   that matches any sequence of subtags.  The meaning and uses of
   wildcards vary according to the type of language range.

In Section 3.3.2

OLD:

       Split both the extended language range and the language tag being
       compared into a list of subtags by dividing on the hyphen (%2D)
       character.  Two subtags match if either they are the same when
       compared case-insensitively or the language range's subtag is the
       wildcard '*'.

NEW:

      Split both the extended language range and the language tag being
       compared into a list of subtags by dividing on the hyphen (%x2D)
       character.  Two subtags match if either they are the same when
       compared case-insensitively or the language range's subtag is the
       wildcard '*'.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru