Subject: [Ltru] Re: Registry in XML?

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:00:37 -0700

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> wrote:

> For whatever reason, the working group decided not to adopt an XML 
> format in favor of the record-jar format eventually used. There is not 
> a current (up-to-date) XML version of the registry, although creating 
> one would not be difficult.

The main reason for choosing record-jar over XML was that it would be 
lighter-weight and easier to read visually, and a simpler format against 
which to write a processor from scratch.  We did not feel it was safe to 
assume that everyone had XML parsing capabilities available to them.

Back in early 2005 when the Registry was planned to be in bar-delimited 
format, one record per line, and the XML discussion was taking place, I 
wrote a small proof-of-concept program to convert it into XML.  This no 
longer works with the record-jar Registry, but as John Cowan points out, 
at least one of the possible XML implementations could be created fairly 
trivially.

There is also the attributes vs. entities decision to be made (as 
always), and I don't necessarily agree that attributes could not be used 
at all; some properties of the Registry might lend themselves well to 
attributes:

<registry date="2006-06-05">
...
</registry>

For RFC 3066ter, I would not support changing the format from record-jar 
to XML unless there were a general initiative to do so for all IANA 
registries; but in that case I would support it rather strongly.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:40:19 -0400

> at all; some properties of the Registry might lend themselves well to 

Well, sure.

-- 
We pledge allegiance to the penguin             John Cowan
and to the intellectual property regime         [email-masked]
for which he stands, one world under            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Linux, with free music and open source
software for all.               --Julian Dibbell on Brazil, edited