Subject: [Ltru] taq vs tmh?

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:32:27 -0800

When looking at the Ethnologue, it says:

Tamasheq
A language of Mali

ISO/DIS 639-3: taq
Population     250,000 in Mali (1991). Population total all countries:
281,169.
Region     Central, Timbuktu area, and northeast Mali. Also spoken in
Algeria, Burkina Faso.
Alternate names       Kidal Tamasheq, Tomacheck, Tamashekin, "Tuareg",
Timbuktu, Kidal

Now, I don't have a copy of 639-3, but I assume that the Ethnologue has that
correctly. However, how does Tamasheq (taq) differ from the already-in-ltru
Tamashek (tmh)? That is, I hope this is not a duplicate.

Mark
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:43:51 -0500

Mark Davis scripsit:

> Now, I don't have a copy of 639-3, but I assume that the Ethnologue
> has that correctly. However, how does Tamasheq (taq) differ from the
> already-in-ltru Tamashek (tmh)? That is, I hope this is not a duplicate.

It isn't.  Tamashek (tmh) is a macrolanguage encompassing Tamasheq (taq),
Tahaggart Tamahaq (thv), Tawallammat Tamajaq (ttg), and Tayart Tamajeq
(thz).  This is one of those cases where 693-3 makes finer distinctions
than 639-2 did.

Since macrolanguages don't get entries in
Ethnologue, the easiest way to find this out is to use
http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=XXX , which will produce
the right result for any 639-3 code element, including a link to the
Ethnologue or Linguist List, or in the case of a macrolanguage links to
the encompassed language.

-- 
Mark Twain on Cecil Rhodes:                    John Cowan
I admire him, I freely admit it,               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
and when his time comes I shall                [email-masked]
buy a piece of the rope for a keepsake.