Subject: [Ltru] Re: ISO/FDIS 639-3 tables revised

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 06:55:09 -0800

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> Now, as pointed out, we could encode this as specialized-format 
> comments:
>
> Comment: Do not use three-letter code: abc
> Comment: 639-3 Type = Ancient
>
> While these are possible, this is kinda hacky, since we are 
> overloading the comment mechanism. It just makes a bit gummier for 
> anyone needing to machine parse the data, so I think it would be 
> better to have explicit field types for these.

I agree that these should not be comments.  In particular, the 
three-letter ISO code elements equivalent to two-letter language subtags 
should not appear ANYWHERE in the Registry, or it will give the 
impression they are acceptable alternatives.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru