Subject: [Ltru] Re: Language Tag MIB Textual Convention

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 00:30:47 -0800

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

>> LanguageTag ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>>    DISPLAY-HINT "100a"
>>    STATUS      current
>>    DESCRIPTION
>>             "A brief tag that identifies a language.  A registry of
>>              tags is available at
>>              http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags.
>
> A sanity check might be in order.  The registry is of sub-tags,
> which are combined using the syntax defined in BCP 47 to form
> a language tag.

It's worse than that; the URL cited is actually for the old RFC 3066 tag 
registry.  If this document is to be updated to refer to RFC 4646, it 
should refer to the IANA Language Subtag Registry at 
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:36:44 -0800

Hi -

As a technical contributor...

> From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
> To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 12:30 AM
> Subject: [Ltru] Re: Language Tag MIB Textual Convention
>
...

Good point; this leads me to think that perhaps it's best to just
refer to BCP 47.  Giving the URL might tempt developers to skip
the essential stuff in the BCP.

This reminds me that the object's definition needs to say something
about well-formedness and validity.  I suggest something like:

    Values MUST be well-formed language tags, in conformance with
    the definition of well-formed tags in BCP 47.  An implementation
    MAY further limit the values it accepts to those permitted by a
    'validating' processor, as defined in BCP 47.

Randy

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 23:10:51 -0800

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> It reminds me we should really have a "Language tags Web page" with
> pointers to code, to test cases, etc.

I'm trying to find the time.  Someday.