Subject: [Ltru] Question about 639-3 value "Castillian"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:54:56 -0800

To Whom It May Concern,

I have a question about the reference name used in ISO 639-3 for the code 
"spa." 

The name is now listed as "Castillian" and I believe this to be a 
misspelling. The correct spelling in English is "Castilian" as found in 
ISO 639-2 and on the Ethnologue site. The Spanish and French spellings -- 
castellano and castillan -- use two L's, but I believe the term should be 
spelled with one L in English.

        Reference URL: 
        http://www.sil.org/iso639%2D3/documentation.asp?id=spa

Should this name be updated?

Regards,

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer
Sony Pictures Entertainment
310.244.4384

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Chris Cox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:12:46 -0000

Karen,

I am not sure of the process for dealing with spelling mistakes in the 639-6
database, especially since it has not yet been published but is in final
stages as described by Peter the other day but I think it is pretty certain
that the English spelling is with one L (I checked with a visit to "One Look
Dictionary" where the 13 listed dictionaries gave that spelling, whereas an
entry with two LLs gave only one hit and that was the Wikipedia
disambiguation page for the name spelt with one L).  

Regards

Chris

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 16 January 2007 18:55
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ltru] Question about 639-3 value "Castillian"

To Whom It May Concern, 

The name is now listed as "Castillian" and I believe this to be a
misspelling. The correct spelling in English is "Castilian" as found in ISO
639-2 and on the Ethnologue site. The Spanish and French spellings --
castellano and castillan -- use two L's, but I believe the term should be
spelled with one L in English. 

        Reference URL: 

Regards, 

Karen Broome

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:25:28 -0800

Sorry, Chris. I should have made it clear that this was a formal request 
to ISO 639-3 to change this spelling. I cc'ed the LTRU list for 
information only. 

I wasn't addressing any concerns with ISO 639-6 in the e-mail below, I 
just wanted to make sure that the folks in LTRU knew I had already 
submitted this change request as per an earlier thread. Ethnologue seems 
to have this right so I'm not sure you have a problem with 639-6. I've 
only seen this in 639-3.

Regards,

Karen Broome

"Chris Cox" <[email-masked]> 
01/16/2007 01:12 PM

To
<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
cc
[email-masked]
Subject
RE: [Ltru] Question about 639-3 value "Castillian"

Karen,
I am not sure of the process for dealing with spelling mistakes in the 
639-6 database, especially since it has not yet been published but is in 
final stages as described by Peter the other day but I think it is pretty 
certain that the English spelling is with one L (I checked with a visit to 
“One Look Dictionary” where the 13 listed dictionaries gave that spelling, 
whereas an entry with two LLs gave only one hit and that was the Wikipedia 
disambiguation page for the name spelt with one L). 
Regards
Chris

To Whom It May Concern, 

        Reference URL: 

Regards, 

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer
Sony Pictures Entertainment
310.244.4384_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Chris Cox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:36:39 -0000

Karen,

Worse, I didn't recognise it for what it was but also my reference to 639-6
was a "typo" on my behalf - I was (in my mind) only ever addressing your
reference to 639-3.

Apologies to all.

Chris

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 16 January 2007 22:25
To: Chris Cox
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Question about 639-3 value "Castillian"

Sorry, Chris. I should have made it clear that this was a formal request to
ISO 639-3 to change this spelling. I cc'ed the LTRU list for information
only. 

I wasn't addressing any concerns with ISO 639-6 in the e-mail below, I just
wanted to make sure that the folks in LTRU knew I had already submitted this
change request as per an earlier thread. Ethnologue seems to have this right
so I'm not sure you have a problem with 639-6. I've only seen this in 639-3.

Regards, 

Karen Broome 

01/16/2007 01:12 PM 

To

cc

[email-masked] 

Subject

 

Karen, 

  _____  

To Whom It May Concern, 

       Reference URL: 

Regards, 

Karen Broome

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:27:43 -0600

Dear Karen,

Thank you for pointing out the error, which is a misspelling. It will be 
corrected shortly, in both downloadable tables and the web interface.

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
Dallas, TX 75236
[email-masked]

[email-masked] 
01/16/2007 12:54 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc
[email-masked]
Subject
Question about 639-3 value "Castillian"

To Whom It May Concern, 

        Reference URL: 

Regards, 

Karen Broome

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:21:14 -0600

Hi All,

This was a misspelling in the ISO 639-3 FDIS code table. Since it is 
"correct" in 639-2, and since 639-3 is committed to having all Part 2 
English names in the Part 3 data set, and since this is still the FDIS and 
not the fully published 639-3, I thought it appropriate to make the change 
and republish the data set and the download table. That is now done and 
available.

There was a similar, though slightly stickier, question with regard to a 
[gsw] name "Alemannic" vs "Alemanic." Again keeping with the name spelling 
as found in 639-2, I changed "Alemanic" to "Alemannic."

Both corrections are now visible on the website.

Best regards,

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
Dallas, TX 75236
[email-masked]

01/16/2007 03:12 PM

To
<[email-masked]>

Karen,

To Whom It May Concern, 

        Reference URL: 

Regards, 

Karen Broome