Subject: [Ltru] Re: Question about 639-3 value "Castillian"

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:08:10 -0800

Joan Spanne <ISO639 dash 3 at sil dot org> wrote:

> This was a misspelling in the ISO 639-3 FDIS code table. Since it is 
> "correct" in 639-2, and since 639-3 is committed to having all Part 2 
> English names in the Part 3 data set, and since this is still the FDIS 
> and not the fully published 639-3, I thought it appropriate to make 
> the change and republish the data set and the download table. That is 
> now done and available.

The new "Name Index" file is available at:
http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/iso-fdis-639-3_Name_Index_20070116.tab

It does include the spelling change to "Castilian" along with some other 
changes, including the "Alemannic" change mentioned below, but also the 
addition of "Kyrgyz" as an alternative to "Kirghiz" as shown in 639-2 
(although other 639-2 names like "Galician" and "Marshallese" and 
"Navaho" are still absent), and a few reorderings (for example, among 
the large group of names for "Old Church Slavonic").  And for some 
reason, a large number of entries in the Name Index file were moved out 
of alphabetical order, which makes some automated processing more 
complex.

> There was a similar, though slightly stickier, question with regard to 
> a [gsw] name "Alemannic" vs "Alemanic." Again keeping with the name 
> spelling as found in 639-2, I changed "Alemanic" to "Alemannic."

Unfortunately, the main Code Set file has not been changed, and that 
file still shows "Alemanic" as the reference name.  I assume this is to 
be changed, but until it is, draft-4645bis must continue to show the 
one-N spelling.

Anyway, I've started assembling draft-4645bis-02 while waiting for 
comments on -01.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru