Subject: [Ltru] Re: Last few questions for draft-4645bis-01

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:15:18 -0800

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> +1  Google has about 1,140,000 hits for one L, and 280,000 for LL.  MW 
> has Castlian and no Castillian.  Maybe it's a typo in 639-3, they 
> should fix it.  Until then use their spelling.

I agree completely.  If 639-3 fixes their spelling we can fix ours -- in 
fact, we've kind of obligated ourselves to do so.

> Ugh.  I hope that Galician wins.  Until then "both" is fine.

+1

>> For the macrolanguages Dogri, Konkani, Malay, and Swahili...
>
> +1

Can you live with it if we leave the qualifiers in, as John prefers?

>> Should we maintain the relative order of existing Description fields 
>> and add new 639-3-based descriptions at the end, except that the 
>> reference name always becomes the first Description?  (Default: Yes.)
>
> If you like it that way...  what you get will be 639-3 reference 
> before 639-1/2 descriptions before other 639-3 descriptions (modulo 
> duplicates)

Yes.  What that would accomplish is to avoid reshuffling the existing 
order of names, except as necessary to keep the reference name first.

The alternative, of course, is to put all the 639-3 names first, in 
order, followed by the 639-2 names.  That reesulted in a LOT of swaps 
between, say, the third or fourth name, for no discernable reason.

> I'd prefer a block of 639-3 descriptions automatically starting with 
> the reference name before anything else found in 639-1/2, but that's 
> mostly a matter of taste.  Maybe my preference is better for 
> maintenance (?)

Maybe it would be better.  I'm open to suggestions, but I don't want to 
wait for months again.  Suggestions on 4645bis have been in short supply 
so far.

Does anyone object if I do this the way Frank prefers?

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:40:39 -0500

> wait for months again.  Suggestions on 4645bis have been in short supply 

I think it would be better:  -3 reference, then other -3, then -2/-1,
and the more so because (with one or two exceptions) the -3 names are
higher quality.

-- 
Unless it was by accident that I had            John Cowan
offended someone, I never apologized.           [email-masked]
        --Quentin Crisp                         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:36:47 -0800

I agree. For the other points Doug has, I agree with his suggestions.

Mark

-- 
Mark

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:42:45 +0100

> Can you live with it if we leave the qualifiers in, as John prefers?

Yes.  It's not nice, but the info is important.

Frank