Subject: [Ltru] recommended case of language tags

From: "Stephen Silver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:39:49 +0100

There is a minor problem related to the recommended case of language
tags.  (This is not new - the paragraphs in question are unchanged
from RFC 4646.)

Section 2.1 says:

  Although case distinctions do not carry meaning in language tags,
  consistent formatting and presentation of the tags will aid users.
  The format of the tags and subtags in the registry is RECOMMENDED.

So, for example, here are three grandfathered tags in recommended
format:

  sgn-BE-fr
  sgn-BE-nl
  sgn-CH-de

Section 2.1 continues:

  In this format, all non-initial two-letter subtags are uppercase,

But this is incorrect for the three tags cited above.  (I think these
three tags are the only ones where such a problem occurs.)

The error is repeated in section 4.4:

  When performing canonicalization of language tags, processors MAY
  regularize the case of the subtags (that is, this process is
  OPTIONAL), following the case used in the registry.  Note that this
  corresponds to the following casing rules: uppercase all non-initial
  two-letter subtags; titlecase all non-initial four-letter subtags;
  lowercase everything else.

-- 
Stephen Silver

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru