Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: Archival of registration forms

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 00:22:33 -0700

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response on this.  I'll be honest and say that I'm  
still not entirely clear what IANA should be doing in this case, so  
please do not take anything I say as definitive or concrete as to how  
IANA will meet this community's requirements.  We are definitely open  
to suggestions here...

On Apr 24, 2007, at 12:55 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> A longstanding problem which needs to be fixed.  RFC 4646 section
>> 3.5 requires the approved registration forms (as submitted to IANA
>> by the language subtag reviewer, in my reading) to be available.
>
> Yes. Whatever the reason of the lack of availability (remember that
> David Conrad, IANA director, wrote he is searching why) IMHO, it
> should be fixed.

So, we've started making the forms people submit (after approval by  
the IESG designated expert) available at:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/index.html

Is this what is desired?

> But for LTRU, it may also be time to consider a change to make this
> obligation clearer in 4646bis?

Clear obligations would be deeply appreciated.

>> Are the updated registration form not currently making it to IANA,
> That would be strange since they receive the registration requests and
> they act on it.

Actually, not as I understand it.  IANA only receives the approved  
forms sent to us by the IESG designated expert.

Rgds,
-drc

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:20:42 +0200

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 12:22:33AM -0700,
 David Conrad <[email-masked]> wrote 

> http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/index.html

Yes, IMHO, that's perfect.

Would it be possible to add the previous forms (the ones submitted
since RFC 4646 was issued)? I'm aware it will take time and (may be)
reconstruction...

> Clear obligations would be deeply appreciated.

Posted on LTRU two minutes ago for discussion.

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 13:13:49 +0200

David Conrad wrote:

> So, we've started making the forms people submit (after approval
> by the IESG designated expert) available at:

> Is this what is desired?

Thanks, that's very nice.  I'm not yet up to date with this week's
articles, but I've seen that Doug will try to reconstruct the few
missing templates in the next months, that's also good.

>> But for LTRU, it may also be time to consider a change to make
>> this obligation clearer in 4646bis?
 
> Clear obligations would be deeply appreciated.

ACK.  Do you need that also for the existing "pre-4646" templates,
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tags/> ?  IMO it would be
nice to have all registered templates on your new list, old or new,
variant or grandfathered.  Plus all "explicit" (= reviewed by the
subtag reviev list) modifications, so far that's Debbie's comment
wrt the Channel Islands and IM for the UK record.

At some point in time there will be an update of an update of a
variant (or similar), so maybe add dates to your new list, or use
another way to handle future "collisions".

Frank