Subject: RE: [Ltru] draft-05 changes, etc.

From: Peter Constable <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 05:03:20 -0700

From: Addison Phillips [mailto:[email-masked]]

> I just submitted draft-05...

There's a word missing in rule 4 of section 4.1:

Change

   4.  [ISO639-2] has defined several codes included in the subtag
       registry that require additional care when choosing language
       tags.  In most of these cases, where omitting the language tag is
       permitted, such omission preferable to using these codes.

to

   4.  [ISO639-2] has defined several codes included in the subtag
       registry that require additional care when choosing language
       tags.  In most of these cases, where omitting the language tag is
       permitted, such omission is preferable to using these codes.
                                ^^

Peter

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Peter Constable <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 05:26:59 -0700

I suggest the following change to numbered paragraph 5 in section 2.2.1: from

   5.  All language subtags of 5 to 8 characters in length in the IANA
       registry were defined via the registration process in Section 3.5
       and MAY be used to form the primary language subtag.  At the time
       this document was created, there were no examples of this kind of
       subtag and future registrations of this type will be discouraged:
       primary languages are strongly RECOMMENDED for registration with
       ISO 639, and proposals rejected by ISO 639/RA will be closely...
                                                  ^^
to

   5.  All language subtags of 5 to 8 characters in length in the IANA
       registry were defined via the registration process in Section 3.5
       and MAY be used to form the primary language subtag.  At the time
       this document was created, there were no examples of this kind of
       subtag and future registrations of this type will be discouraged:
       primary languages are strongly RECOMMENDED for registration with
       ISO 639, and proposals rejected by the ISO 639/RA-JAC will be...
                                                      ^^^^^^

Peter

---

From: Peter Constable <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 05:29:21 -0700

In section 2.2.2, numbered paragraph 4 repeats information in numbered paragraph 2:

   2.  A sequence of up to three extended language subtags MAY appear in
       a language tag.  This sequence MUST follow the primary language
       subtag and precede any other subtags.

   ...

   4.  There MAY be up to three extended language subtags.

I suggest that numbered paragraph 4 can be removed (with the following paragraph be renumbered accordingly).

Peter

---

From: Peter Constable <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 05:51:30 -0700

I assume the editors are tracking this open issue:

   o  Defines the incorporation of ISO 639-3 codes as language and
      extlang subtags.  Extlangs are now permitted in language tags.
      The changes necessary to achieve this were:

      *  something
         ^^^^^^^^^

Peter

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 06:27:24 -0700

Thanks. Fixed in editor's copy.

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 06:28:31 -0700

Done (in editor's copy)

Addison

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 06:29:48 -0700

Removed item 4.

Addison

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 06:30:43 -0700

Yep. The editors intend to fix that as we approach last call.

Addison