Subject: [Ltru] Re: Archival of registration forms

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:27:12 -0700

(cross-posted after careful thought)

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> wrote:

>> This will not make more work for the IANA or the LSR but will allow 
>> everyone to go from a record to the original submission.
>
> I think I oppose having mandatory comments, especially ones bearing 
> URLs to potentially transitory message archives.

I oppose these mandatory comments rather strongly.  If we were forced to 
have them, I would think they should be a dedicated field, like "URL: 
http://whatever", not shoehorned into the existing Comments field along 
with all the human-readable stuff.

Regarding the whole issue of IANA archiving the registration forms, I 
think the new page at IANA looks great and should fulfill the intent of 
both this WG and the ietf-languages list.  Over the next 2 months or so, 
I intend to go back through the ietf-languages archives, dig up the 
registration forms for all the variants registered since the Language 
Subtag Registry went live in October 2005, retrofit whatever changes 
were made before the subtag was registered, and post them all on the 
ietf-languages list with an eye toward sending them to IANA.  If anyone 
else would like to do this, or share the workload, I would not object. 
Remember that ISO-based subtag additions and modifications are not part 
of this.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:41:34 +0200

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:27:12PM -0700,
 Doug Ewell <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 39 lines which said:

> Regarding the whole issue of IANA archiving the registration forms,
> I think the new page at IANA looks great

Yes.

> Over the next 2 months or so, I intend to go back through the
> ietf-languages archives, dig up the registration forms for all the
> variants registered since the Language Subtag Registry went live in
> October 2005, retrofit whatever changes were made before the subtag
> was registered, and post them all on the ietf-languages list with an
> eye toward sending them to IANA.

Many thanks, this is an excellent idea. You have my support (yes, I
understand you would have preferred actual work but support is better
than nothing.)