Subject: [Ltru] scripts on langtag.net

From: GerardM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:58:26 +0200

Hoi,
When it is argued that the content should be in ASCII in order to be
readable, then please make it so that the content of the website parses
well. I get for instance "Ethiopic (Ge&#x2BB;ez) / Ethiopic (Ge'ez)". This
is nor humanly readable.

To me this notion that UTF-8 cannot be used because it might break
things is rather odd when I cannot properly read all the names of
scripts on langtag.net. To me it seems that things are broken anyway.

Thanks,
    Gerard
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:46:54 +0200

[I assume you refer to
http://www.langtag.net/registries/lsr-script.txt]

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 08:58:26AM +0200,
 GerardM <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 48 lines which said:

> readable, then please make it so that the content of the website
> parses well. I get for instance "Ethiopic (Ge&#x2BB;ez) / Ethiopic
> (Ge'ez)". This is nor humanly readable.

Do you prefer:

Ethiopic (Ge'ez)

only? 

If so, I can create an ASCII file where all descriptions with numeric
entities omitted. There is no general way to translate from these
entities to ASCII (that's why Unicode was invented, after all).

And note that, in scripts only, four subtags have no pure-ASCII
description (Hano, Nkoo, Lepc and Hang) so this would mean not only
selecting some descriptions but also parsing words inside
descriptions.

[Side note: the registry seems a bit inconsistent. Why:

Subtag: Ethi
Description: Ethiopic (Ge&#x2BB;ez)
Description: Ethiopic (Ge'ez)

and:

Subtag: Hang
Description: Hangul (Hang&#x16D;l, Hangeul)

Why not:

Subtag: Hang
Description: Hangul (Hang&#x16D;l)
Description: Hangul (Hangeul)

?

End of side note]

> scripts on langtag.net. To me it seems that things are broken

I would be glad to provide plain-text UTF8 versions of the registry as
soon as I have time to write the program. Since langtag.net is a
cooperative effort, any cooperation is welcome (probably better off-list).

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:22:01 +0200

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:46:54AM +0200,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 63 lines which said:

> I would be glad to provide plain-text UTF8 versions of the registry
> as soon as I have time to write the program.k

Done (the program is attached for the curious).

Available at:

http://www.langtag.net/registries/language-subtag-registry.utf8