Subject: [Ltru] (iso639.2708) RE: ISO 639-2 decision: "mis"

From: "CE Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:51:36 -0400

I am wondering if something on mis and the time frames in which 639-1,
639-2, and 639-3 apply can be added to the specifications describing the
matching of language tags???

The trick would be for applications to note the date on which content was
tagged, and then apply 639-1, 639-2, or 639-3 according to the date;
content creators would of course need to include in their documents the last
date each was updated.

Maybe this could be incorporated into the standards for matching language
tags???

(If anyone else thinks so??? )

--C. E. Whitehead
[email-masked]

_________________________________________________________________
Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN 
http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:57:18 +0900

As remarked recently in a different thread, applications are allowed
to use additional knowledge when matching.

The main problem with the idea proposed below seems that it relies
on information external to the language tag, information often not
available at all (in HTTP, there are quite some dates, but none
of them may be the date on which the language tagging occurred).

If enough people (which wouldn't include me) really care, this might
be an area for an extension. With 8 digits per label, a 'date' extension
would come out rather nicely (ignoring for the moment the y10k problem :-):
   mis-d-20070622
(assuming this extension gets the letter d).

Regards,   Martin.

At 00:51 07/06/22, CE Whitehead wrote:
>Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm
>
>
>

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]