Subject: [Ltru] Re: ISO 639-2 decision: "mis"

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 08:59:06 -0700

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> I expect the ISO 639 RAs will be providing a usage note wrt 'mis' 
> explaining that its extensional semantic must be defined in relation to an 
> application context. This was one of the action items listed if the 
> proposal to change the name were approved. I will follow up with the RAs 
> on getting that done.

I hope there is no expectation that this "usage note," whenever the RAs 
approve and publish it, needs to be copied to the Language Subtag Registry. 
I am already waiting for the online ISO 639-2 code lists to be updated (and 
only for that) before submitting a change request for the Registry for 
"mis".  Any further elaboration on this very, very edge-case subtag needs to 
reside in RFC 4646bis and not within the Registry.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:15:14 -0700

I also agree with Randy that a private-use tag would be a much better choice 
than "mis" for tagging content in a language with no available subtag, 
either because the Registry doesn't have one or in the case of a non-BCP 47 
application that uses a subset of the full Registry.

If I want to tag text in Unilingua (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Unilingua) 
you can bet I'll use "x-mirad" or something similar long before I use the 
completely uninformative "mis".