Subject: [Ltru] Re: Small bibliography error in RFC 4930

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:35:19 -0700

Martin Duerst <duerst at it dot aoyama dot ac dot jp> quoted Frank 
Ellermann:

>> At the moment you can reconstruct a 3066 registry by looking at the 
>> redundant / grandfathered tags in the 4646 registry, and in the source 
>> standards (i.e. the language and region subtags in the 4646 registry).
>>
>> IOW just stay away from scripts, variants, and UN region numbers.

No need to do that.  Just go to 
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags .  IANA must be keeping the 
old registry around for some reason; this must be it.

Martin wrote:

> I remember that in the transition period from RFC 3066 to RFC 4646, we had 
> somebody requesting registration of el-Latn. We rejected this because with 
> RFC 4646, there would be no such need anymore. With the interpretation 
> above, that would no longer be true.

Actually, we accepted it but it initially failed to make it into the 3066 
registry, since by that time 4646 was very close at hand indeed.  Months 
after 4646 weas released, the requestor argued forcefully to have "el-Latn" 
added to both registries.  IIRC there were veiled legal threats.

> No. There is no old registry. There is only one registry. The current 
> registry IS the RFC 3066 registry, just slightly overhauled.
>
> With this, of course the reasons for citing RFC 3066 when RFC 4646 was out 
> become even less understandable.

I admit to a lot of confusion regarding Scott's explanation.  When I was 
working on 4645, I heard frequently that RFC references must always refer to 
the latest revision, not to RFCs that have been superseded.  I'm sure nobody 
wants RFC authors to be able to pick and choose among obsolete RFCs to find 
the one with the most favorable, now-removed wording.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru