Subject: [Ltru] Re: scripts on langtag.net

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:01:59 -0700

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> Available at:
>
> http://www.langtag.net/registries/language-subtag-registry.utf8

I'd like to suggest that the other "distilled" data at langtag.net be 
similarly converted from hex escapes to real Unicode characters.  The 
Registry contains hex escapes because it has to, not because the country 
denoted by CI is really called C&#xF4;te d'Ivoire.  As long as you're doing 
one type of processing, you may as well do the other.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:34:38 +0200

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 08:01:59PM -0700,
 Doug Ewell <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 17 lines which said:

> I'd like to suggest that the other "distilled" data at langtag.net
> be similarly converted from hex escapes to real Unicode characters.

Done for the tab-separated text files and for the SQL files.

UTF-8 SQL files have been tested with PostgreSQL and work fine.

Anyone to test tab-separated UTF-8 text files with MS Excel or a
similar tool?

I did not convert the XML files, because any XML processor is supposed
to read hex escapes.