Subject: [Ltru] Re: extlang

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:07:55 -0700

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> (I do not think that there are still serious proposals to use UTF-8 in the 
> registry: even if I regret it, it seems settled)

+1

> But, on the other hand, I want to emphasize that ISO 639-3 was issued in 
> february, that some users want the new language codes now and that any 
> delay in the release of the RFC undermines the whole language tag effort.

It's unfortunate that the ISO 639-3 code list still isn't truly ready for 
initial launch, and won't be until July, even though the standard has 
already been issued.  But that's the way it is, and our "stability" goals 
would not be served by incorporating the 639-3 code list as it is today and 
then being forced to keep any code elements they choose to remove between 
now and July (cf. the Occitan languages).

My wish is for us to have everything else ready *before* 639-3 announces its 
"final" code list, so that we can issue WGLC for 4646bis and 4645bis at that 
point without further delay.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru