Subject: Re: [Ltru] Usage contexts

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 16:33:50 -0600

Leif Halvard Silli <lhs at malform dot no> wrote:

> So let's put the texts you did not like to the side, and and let us 
> consentrate on finding the right way to convey to those user guide 
> authors, that the language tags for macrolanguages are suitable for 
> "certain usage contexts [where] a single language identity for all 
> [encompassed languages of a particular macrolanguage] is needed".

Section 3.1.9 quotes this passage from ISO 639-3, while Section 4.1.2 
includes at least two paragraphs about making the choice between 
macrolanguage subtag and encompassed language subtag.

I know you're providing specific replacement text, which is what 
contributors are always asked to do, and I appreciate the effort.  But I 
still don't see what is lacking in the text we already have.  Try 
re-reading the sections mentioned above and see if they don't address 
your concerns.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru