Subject: Re: [Ltru] a modest proposal...

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:26:33 -0600

"Phillips, Addison" <addison at amazon dot com> wrote:

> Type: language
> Subtag: yue
> Description: Cantonese Chinese
> ...
>
> Type: extlang
> Subtag: yue
> Prefix: zh
> Description: Cantonese Chinese
> Preferred-Value: yue
> Deprecated: 2008-06-02

Actually, there's a real, objective problem with this, beyond the 
question of whether Doug likes deprecated-at-birth subtags or not.

If we do this, we will have to create an exception to our rules about 
Preferred-Value.  Normally a subtag has a Preferred-Value of the same 
type, but we will have to change this so that a subtag of type "extlang" 
has a Preferred-Value of type "language."

Of course, that means we could never deprecate an extlang in favor of 
another extlang -- and I wouldn't want to bet that ISO 639-3 might some 
day change the code element of an encompassed language in such a way as 
to make this necessary.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 18:34:56 -0700

> has a Preferred-Value of type "language."

Nope. See the text in draft-15.

'extlang', like grandfathered and redundant, uses an extended language range in draft-15.

Addison

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:43:01 -0600

> 'extlang', like grandfathered and redundant, uses an extended language 

So it does.  Actually, that's a fairly clever solution.