Subject: Re: [Ltru] a modest proposal...

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:13:30 -0600

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> Add+deprecate allows people to have the forms they really care about,
> and yet preserves a formal relationship between them, so that people
> can convert between them.

󠀁󠁥󠁮So there really isn't any stigma attached to the use of
deprecated-at-birth items, after all?󠀁󠁿

I knew Mark was a big believer in deprecation at birth, but even I'm
surprised to see him recommend it for solving two different problems at
once.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:24:41 -0600

My last public comment on this, and then I am done with this manual
line-breaking garbage.

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

>> Outlook Express sends my mails as:
>> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="utf-8";
>> reply-type=original
>
> This is perfectly sensible but, when your message arrives, there is
> only the 'text/plain; charset' part, the fact that the message is
> flowed (RFC 3676) is lost (may be a broken gateway somewhere).
>
> So, it is not a surprise if I have the same problem than Martin with
> your messages.

Since they're getting through to some people, and I haven't changed
anything about my mail configuration lately, there doesn't seem to be
much I can do about this.

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

> My recommendations to all list subscribers:
> ...
>   (2) DO NOT use format=flowed.  In my experience, it doesn't work
>         well anyway.

Since I've been called out on this, my setting in Outlook Express is:

Tools | Options | Send | Plain Text Settings |
Automatically wrap text at 72 characters, when sending.

So I don't know why OE is sending "flowed," but I don't know how to turn
it off.  If anyone does, please send me help OFF-LIST.  (No advice to
change mailers or operating systems, please.)

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:54:56 -0600

"Phillips, Addison" <addison at amazon dot com> wrote:

> I have also included the proposal to incorporate ISO 639-5.

I think the draft says this, but to be sure I'm reading it correctly:

For collection codes, in cases where the names (and denotations) differ 
slightly between ISO 639-2 and 639-5 -- usually because 639-2 includes 
"(Other)" -- we are using the 639-5 name and not the 639-2 name, right?