Subject: [Ltru] Capitalization of "Sign Languages"

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:39:27 -0600

(a) ISO 639-2 shows the "English name of language" corresponding to code 
element 'sgn' as "Sign Languages", with the S and L capitalized.

(b) ISO 639-5 (still using the covertly acquired PDF, not freely 
available yet) shows it as "sign languages", all lowercase.

(c) Strict consistency with the other "X languages" entries in ISO 
639-2, -5, and the Registry would yield "Sign languages".  The 
comparison isn't perfect since "Sign" isn't a proper noun like the 
others, but no other Descriptions for language subtags in the Registry 
begin with a lowercase letter (except "tlhIngan-Hol" which I guess has 
semantic significance).

Given that we are trying to maintain exact fidelity with the core 
standards, which form(s) should I put into draft-4645bis?

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:50:46 -0400

> begin with a lowercase letter (except "tlhIngan-Hol" which I guess has 

Let's go with this one.

The Klingon romanization uses the letters D, I, S, H, and Q (but not
d, i, s, or h), but does not capitalize in the usual Latin-script sense.

-- 
What has four pairs of pants, lives             John Cowan
in Philadelphia, and it never rains             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
but it pours?                                   [email-masked]
        --Rufus T. Firefly
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru