Subject: Re: [Ltru] Can we live with Draft 15?

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:41:03 -0600

Stéphane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> Some (cherry-picked) encompassed languages will have a 'Type: extlang' 
> entry in the LSR, together with a 'Type: language' entry for the same 
> subtag.

Technically, it's the macrolanguages that are cherry-picked, not the 
encompassed languages.  That is, we picked all of the "zh" languages, 
all of the "ar" languages, etc., and none of the "za" or "qu" languages. 
We didn't pick some Chinese languages and leave others.

> If qzz is registered that way, with a 'Prefix: qa', both qa-qzz and 
> qzz are valid tags but the latter is the recommended form (the former 
> being deprecated at birth).

Correct, although there is a question of whether the former or latter 
should be deprecated.

> Macrolanguage information is stored in the registry but there is no 
> simple relationship between macrolanguages and extlangs.

The relationship isn't that complex:

1. For each of the 6 cherry-picked macrolanguages, all of its 
encompassed languages are extlangs.

2. For purposes of rule 1, we treat "sgn" as if it were a macrolanguage 
encompassing all languages with "Sign Language" in their Description 
field.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru