Subject: [Ltru] Results of Duplicate Busters Survey #1

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 07:05:29 -0600

Here are the results of Survey #1, in which I asked what to do about 
duplicate names in the core standards, which we adopt as Description 
fields and in which duplication within a record type would therefore be 
bad.

For the language subtags for Hebrew, Indonesian, Javanese, and Yiddish, 
the region subtag for "Private use", and the grandfathered tag for 
Hakka, I recommended no change, since these are not the cases in which 
duplication poses a problem.  Nobody argued against this.  I did change 
the text "PRIVATE USE" from uppercase to sentence case, again without 
objection (although Kent Karlsson had originally expressed preference 
for all-lowercase "private use").

For the language subtags for Aruá, Awa, Borna, and Murik, ISO 639-3/RA 
has made the appropriate changes in their database and posted them to 
their Downloads page, so we have no action item there either.

That leaves only the Dimli/Kirmanjki situation, which might have been 
handled by ISO 639-3 as well but was not.  To summarize, "Dimli" and 
"Kirmanjki" are the only names assigned to ISO 639-3 code elements 'diq' 
and 'kiu' respectively, but they are also alternative names for the code 
element 'zza' whose reference name is "Zaza."

Below is the original text I wrote on July 30, proposing that these 
names be disambiguated in the Registry.  I'd like to ask ISO 639-3 to 
consider making this change in the source; if they do not, I'd like 
feedback from the lists on making the change in the Registry, a solution 
which has not sat well with many list participants in the past.

---copied from earlier post---

Type: language
Subtag: diq
Description: Dimli
--> REPLACE WITH: Description: Dimli (individual language)
Added: 2029-09-09
Macrolanguage: zza

Type: language
Subtag: kiu
Description: Kirmanjki
--> REPLACE WITH: Description: Kirmanjki (individual language)
Added: 2029-09-09
Macrolanguage: zza

Type: language
Subtag: zza
Description: Zaza
Description: Dimili
Description: Dimli
--> REPLACE WITH: Description: Dimli (macrolanguage)
Description: Kirdki
Description: Kirmanjki
--> REPLACE WITH: Description: Kirmanjki (macrolanguage)
Description: Zazaki
Added: 2006-08-24
Scope: macrolanguage

Discussion:
These three cases are handled together due to their commonality.  Both
Dimli and Kirmanjki are individual languages encompassed within Zaza,
which may also be called Dimli or Kirmanjki, neatly exemplifying the
concept of a macrolanguage.  The strings "individual language" and
"macrolanguage" are used extensively in 639-3 for this purpose; see, for
example, Dogri.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Kent Karlsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:42:37 +0200

> "macrolanguage" are used extensively in 639-3 for this 

My preference would be to remove Dimli and Kirmanjki as alternative
descriptions for zza, if ISO 639-3 RA does so. Failing that, I support
your suggestion, even if ISO 639-3 RA continues to ignore the issue.

	/kent k

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:19:34 -0500

I think that the ISO 639/JAC erred in including so many names with the 
macrolanguage (done before I was a voting member). I cannot simply remove 
the names (as I also think would be better), because they are included in 
Part 2. So the offending name pairs will be disambiguated in Part 3.

At the moment I am processing substantive change requests and trying to 
meet other deadlines with other work, so it may be a week before these 
changes are posted publicly either online or in download tables.

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
Dallas, TX 75236
[email-masked]

"Kent Karlsson" <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
2008-08-25 10:42 AM

To
"'LTRU Working Group'" <[email-masked]>
cc
[email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject
RE: [Ltru] Results of Duplicate Busters Survey #1

                 /kent k

_______________________________________________
Ietf-languages mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages