Subject: Re: [Ltru] editor's copy of draft-20 updated...

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 22:25:48 -0700

In describing the model I feel we should follow for assignment of 
prefixes to variant subtags, I wrote:

> Similarly, the single prefix "xx" would cover the two prefixes 
> "xx-Latn" and "xx-Cyrl", and more.  Adding one expressed prefix and 
> deleting two, a net reduction of one *expressed* prefix in the 
> Registry, would substantially increase the number of *allowable* 
> prefixes for this variant in tags.  That's why I don't agree with 
> requiring the new set to be {xx-Latn, xx-Cyrl, xx}.

Although this model works for prefixes that include script and/or region 
subtags, it doesn't work quite the same for prefixes that include other 
variants.

This is because we recognize that some variants can logically be used 
together, like 'rozaj' and 'biske', while others can't, like '1901' and 
'1996'.  We have decided that when two prefixes can logically be used 
together, we define an ordering, and the Registry entry for the second 
variant contains a prefix with the first variant:

Type: variant
Subtag: njiva
...
Prefix: sl-rozaj

Then a usage like "sl-rozaj-njiva" is considered appropriate, while 
"sl-njiva" would be considered as inappropriate as "ja-njiva".

So while it is still true that {xx} would subsume {xx-Latn}, and {yy} 
would subsume {yy-KE}, it is not true that {zz} would subsume 
{zz-variant1}.  Thus, when widening the set of allowable prefixes that 
involve variants, all of the prefixes should continue to be specified, 
and {zz-variant1, zz} could not be abbreviated to {zz}.

The absence of any Prefix fields still means "all prefixes are 
allowable," even those prefixes that contain other variants.  And of 
course, all of this still applies only to prefixes for variant subtags. 
Prefixes for extlang subtags continue to be very straightforward: there 
must be exactly one, and it must consist of a language subtag and 
nothing else.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru