Subject: [Ltru] FW: FW: 13th-hour WG Last Call comments

From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 13:20:16 -0800

I'm forwarding the note below on behalf of John Cowan.

(editor hat ON)

I have added the proposed text to my draft-20 copy.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Cowan [] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 1:16 PM
To: Phillips, Addison
Subject: Re: [Ltru] FW: 13th-hour WG Last Call comments

[ccil.org just went down as I was writing this; please forward to LTRU]

Now that my attention has been brought to it, I have to agree that
there is the potential for user confusion between private-use subtag
such as (such as x-foobar) and subtags of other types reserved for
private use such as 'Qaaa'.

Consistently using the phrases "private-use subtags" and "subtags
reserved for private use" everywhere (almost but not quite true: 2.2.9
says "designated for private use") and explaining what the difference
is would IMO go a long way to subduing this confusion.  Here's
proposed additional text for 2.2.7:

Private-use subtags should not be confused with what this document refers to as
"subtags reserved for private use".  These are subtags such as 'qaa',
'Qaaa', or 'AA' that are designated as private-use codes by the
underlying ISO standards.  Although their purpose is very similar,
subtags reserved for private use are syntactically language, script,
or region subtags, not private-use subtags.

-- 
GMail doesn't have rotating .sigs, but you can see mine at
http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/signatures
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru