Subject: Re: [Ltru] par 3 of 2.2, "identification of subtag's type"

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 15:47:12 -0600

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> (Also, I know I've asked this question before, but why is a variant 
> subtag beginning with a digit listed as consisting of exactly one 
> digit plus 3 alphanumerica characters in the list mentioned above?? 
> (par 3):
> "variant       = 5*8alphanum         ; registered variants
>                / (DIGIT 3alphanum)",
>
> and then just a paragraph down [par 5?  or 4?] a variant beginning 
> with a digit is described as having a length of 4-8 characters:
> "There is a subtlety in the ABNF
>    production 'variant': a variant starting with a digit has a minimum
>    length of four characters, while those starting with a letter have
>    a minimum length of five characters."  ??)

The production

    5*8alphanum

already covers subtags of 5 to 8 characters that begin with a digit, 
does it not?

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ