Subject: Re: [Ltru] Issue #61: Problem with MAY in 3.5 on Description errata (Apps #13)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:09:34 -0600

Mark Davis <mark at macchiato dot com> suggested:

> The Description field MAY be modified, and is thus not guaranteed to 
> be stable. However, modifications are discouraged because of the 
> negative impact on the provisions in Section 3.4 (Stability of IANA 
> Registry Entries). Therefore the Language Subtag Reviewer SHOULD 
> accept only modifications for errata corrections or required 
> clarifications of intent, and SHOULD NOT accept translations or 
> transcriptions of entries in the registry.

If it is not already clear, it should be made clear that this last bit 
about translations or transcriptions applies only to modifications 
originating from individual requests, not from the core standards 
bodies, which have been known to provide translations in their entries. 
For example, ISO 639-3 has given us:

    Catalan Sign Language
    Lengua de señas catalana
    Llengua de Signes Catalana

and as a matter of policy, all three of these names have been included 
in draft-4645bis.

If this is already clear, then of course nothing needs to be done.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ