Subject: [Lwip] Light-weight SNMP agent

From: "Brinda M. C" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 19:56:39 +0530 (IST)

Hello,

As part of a project on building a network monitoring and management based 
on SNMP for 6LoWPAN/RPL WSNs, we have developed a light-weight SNMPv1 
agent which, according to our knowledge, occupies far less text program 
memory than the existing implementations. Our implementation occupies a 
memory footprint of just 4KB of text program memory on TelosB motes. Our 
performance test results showed that our implementation also brings down 
computational overheads substantially.

We tested our SNMPv1 agent implementation on both TinyOS-2.x and Contiki 
OS running 6LoWPAN/RPL protocol stack.

The motivation for our work comes from the fact that the memory 
footprint of 6LoWPAN/RPL and the related protocols is ever increasing and 
and our belief that there is a need to optimize our implementation so that 
we should be able to monitor any operational network comprising of 
resource constrained devices with limited memory.

I would be more than happy to share the approach we followed while 
building our light weight SNMPv1 (we call it uSNMP) and provide a generic 
guidelines to those who want to realise the same using their own 
implementation methods. You are welcome to contact me for the source 
code as your feedback will be very useful.

In this context, I would like to know if we can submit a document based on 
our work to the lwip charter so that it can be included in an appropriate 
Internet draft.

Regards
Brinda

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

---

From: Zhen Cao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:08:59 +0800

Hi Brinda,

Thank you for the information.  See my reply inline.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Brinda M. C <[email-masked]> wrote:
> on SNMP for 6LoWPAN/RPL WSNs, we have developed a light-weight SNMPv1 agent
> which, according to our knowledge, occupies far less text program memory
> than the existing implementations. Our implementation occupies a memory
> footprint of just 4KB of text program memory on TelosB motes. Our
> We tested our SNMPv1 agent implementation on both TinyOS-2.x and Contiki OS
> running 6LoWPAN/RPL protocol stack.

We also encountered this issue on the mote. Given the fact of the
existing protocol stacks, have you managed to fix both your uSNMP
codes and the existing BLIP inside of the node?

>
> The motivation for our work comes from the fact that the memory footprint of
> 6LoWPAN/RPL and the related protocols is ever increasing and and our belief
> that there is a need to optimize our implementation so that we should be
> able to monitor any operational network comprising of resource constrained
> devices with limited memory.

Limited resource will hurt all applications including SNMP. SO
basically I think the optimization of the existing codes is also
important to make the world a better one :)

>
> I would be more than happy to share the approach we followed while building
> our light weight SNMPv1 (we call it uSNMP) and provide a generic guidelines
> to those who want to realise the same using their own implementation
> methods. You are welcome to contact me for the source code as your feedback
> will be very useful.

Thank you.  Could you hack an Individual Draft on the topic to
describe what kind of problems you had met and conquered?  I think
that's a better way of communication.

> our work to the lwip charter so that it can be included in an appropriate

Sure. You are very welcome!

> _______________________________________________
> Lwip mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lwip

-- 
Best regards,
Zhen