Subject: [magma] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-magma-snoop-05.txt

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:52:34 -0500

All,
      This formally starts the MAGMA working group last call
for advancing draft-ietf-magma-snoop-05.txt as an Informational
document.  The last call period will last two weeks and end on
February 16th.  Substantive comments should be directed to the
MAGMA mailing.  Editorial comments are to be sent to the list
or the authors.

Regards,
Brian

---

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multicast & Anycast Group Membership 
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Considerations for IGMP and MLD snooping switches
	Author(s)	: M. Christensen, K. Kimball, F. Solensky
	Filename	: draft-ietf-magma-snoop-05.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2003-1-31
	
This memo describes the requirements for IGMP- and MLD-snooping
switches. These are based on best current practices for IGMPv2,
with further considerations for IGMPv3- and MLDv2-snooping.  Addi-
tional areas of relevance, such as link layer topology changes and
Ethernet-specific encapsulation issues, are also considered.
Interoperability issues that arise between different versions of
IGMP are not the focus of this document.  Interested readers are
directed to [IGMPv3] for a thorough description of problem areas.
This document is intended to accompany the IGMPv3 and
MLDv2 specifications.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-magma-snoop-05.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-magma-snoop-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-magma-snoop-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:10:56 +0200 (EET)

Hello,

I didn't have the time to read through the doc properly, but luckily I've 
already sent a bunch of comments.

A few comments on a quick glance (many of them editorial):

     The requirements presented here are based on the following informa-
     tion sources: The IGMP specifications [RFC112][RFC2236][IGMPv3],

==> s/RFC112/RFC1112/.

         IGMP membership reports must not be rejected because of a
         source IP address of 0.0.0.0.

==> is this a requirement for switches ("0.0.0.0 is okay from hosts") or 
for routers ("hey, please note that switches might be sending the reports 
with 0.0.0.0, take that in consideration!").  This could be clarified, and 
if it's the latter, it should be considered whether this needs to be said 
in some other document.

 Additionally, some vendors' applications, which
         are not IGMP, use this 224.0.0.X address range, and these
         applications would break if the switch were to prune them due
         to not seeing a Join.

==> "which are not IGMP" -- something missing there, an editorial error?

     3)  If a switch receives a non-IGMP IPV4 multicast packet without

==> s/IPV4/IPv4/

     The IPv6 packet header does not include a checksum field.  Never-
     theless, the switch should detect other packet integrity issues.

==> the lines must not be split using (hyphenation) "-", rfc-editor
policy. (many cases.)

4.  Normative References

==> you're aware that the document cannot be published until all normative 
references have been published (e.g. MLDv2, PROXY, MRDISC, etc.) ?

==> some normative references should possibly be moved down to informative 
(like [BRIDGE]).

     11.  Author's Addresses

==> s/Author's/Authors'/

                                Table of Contents

==> table of contents must be between abstract and introduction (RFC-ed 
policy)

          3. IPv6 Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   7
          4. Normative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   9
          5. Informative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  10
          6. Security Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  10
          7. IGMP Questionnaire  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  11
          8. IETF IPR Statement  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  13
          9. Acknowledgements  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  13
          10. Revision History . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  13
          11. Author's Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  16

==> the ordering seems a bit funny, but I'm not sure if there is a 
written-down policy on the order. http://www.ietf.org/ID-nits.html has 
given me the impression that References should be after acknowledgements 
and Security considerations ("9 and 10" here), and IPR statement the last 
thing, after the addresses.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:10:56 +0200 (EET)

Hello,

==> s/RFC112/RFC1112/.

==> s/IPV4/IPv4/

4.  Normative References

     11.  Author's Addresses

==> s/Author's/Authors'/

                                Table of Contents