Subject: [magma] MLDv2: robustness assumption

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:34:08 +0100 (CET)

The draft says:
   The Robustness Variable tunes MLD to expected losses on a link.
   MLDv2 is robust to (Robustness Variable - 1) packet losses, e.g. if
   the Robustness Variable is set to the default value of 2, MLDv2 is
   robust to a single packet loss but may operate imperfectly if more
   losses occur. 

I assume that this means that if there are Robustness Variable (or more)
losses the state between the listeners and and routers might get out of
synch (with the router not knowing which groups to forward) but that
after some finite time without significant packet loss, the router
will acquire the state that correctly represents the listeners on the link.

The next message will make this assumption, so if I've misunderstood the
assumption please speak now and don't bother arguing with my next message
or messages.

  Erik

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: "Rolland Vida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:05:53 +0100

Hi Erik,

First of all, thank you for reviewing the document. I will try to answer
your questions one by one, in separate e-mails.

> assumption please speak now and don't bother arguing with my next message

Your assumption is correct, this is the behavior that we expect. So I'll
jump to the next message.

Rolland

-------------------------------------------------------------
"The optimist claims that we live in the best of all possible
 worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true." - J.B. Cabell

  Rolland VIDA, Ph.D.
  Researcher, Budapest University of Technology and Economics
  Department of Telecommunications and Telematics
  Magyar Tudosok krt. 2, Room E324, H-1117, Budapest, Hungary
  Tel: +36 1 463 11 02        E-mail: [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Rolland Vida" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:05:53 +0100

Hi Erik,

Rolland

  Rolland VIDA, Ph.D.