Subject: [magma] MLDv2: relationship to RFC 2710

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:27:26 +0100 (CET)

The document obsoletes RFC 2710 (MLDv1). This means that an implementor should
not need to read RFC 2710 when implementing MLDv2. This doesn't seem
possible since the MLDv1 packet formats (and perhaps some MLDv1 behavior
needed for interoperability with v1 peers) are not contained in the 
specification.

For instance, when it says "send a MLDv1 query" it is not defined in
this document.

In addition, having MLDv1 as a normative reference while obsoleting it 
doesn't work, since in order to advance MLDv2 to draft standard
all the normative references need to be at least draft standard
and MLDv1 will never go there if it is obsoleted.

I see two different ways of resolving this.
1. Make the document self-contained so that all aspects of MLDv1 that
   a listener or router needs to do (packet formats, behavior, timers)
   are in this document. Then it can obsolete MLDv1 and have MLDv1
   be an informational reference (for those that want to look at
   the previous version for curiosity reasons).
2. Leave the document content as is and make it *update* RFC 2710.
   Leave RFC 2710 as a normative reference.
   When it is time to advance this document to draft either
   fold it together with MLDv1, or advance both document.
   If both documents are advanced then it will result in rfc-index  showing
   MLDv1 and MLDv2 as draft standards with the MLDv1 spec having a note
   about "updated by RFC <MLDv2>".

I think having two documents when going to draft standard would be a bad
idea from a readability perspective. Thus I think the question is really
whether the documents should be merged now or later.

   Erik

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma