Subject: [magma] Controlling multicast networks

From: "Rami Lehtonen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:25:33 +0200

Hi all,

we have submitted a new version of our draft on the area of multicast
control. We have changed the scope a little bit according to comments
received in Atlanta. Here is a short clarification what MCOP currently does.

-MCOP is a tool for network management to manage multicast networks (dynamic
and remote "access list")
-MCOP does not relate to authentication at all (there is no protocol for
hosts to gain access if it is restricted by the network management)
-IP addresses fit quite nicely to management of multicast groups on network
level
-Context is currently intra-domain multicast control
-MCOP protects multicast groups from unwanted sources (e.g. a DoS attack to
a certain group or to a number of groups) by controlling which networks or
hosts can or can't send traffic to a multicast group.
-MCOP protects from unwanted multicast transmissions or groups (e.g.
receiving high bandwidth stream by accident) by controlling which networks
can receive traffic from a multicast group.
-May be used to restrict multicast state information in routers (host
specific send/join limits, e.g. host is able to send traffic only to 5
different multicast groups during certain time)
-May be used to deliver rate limits (applicable only to multicast sources)

Now we hope to get some comments on the draft before the next meeting.

Btw, does the topic fit into magma/mboned charter and are people willing to
work on this problem? At least Ramen/Sapphire worms are examples of real
problems in multicast networks.

Rami Lehtonen

---
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Multicast Control Protocol (MCOP)
	Author(s)	: R. Lehtonen et al.
	Filename	: draft-lehtonen-magma-mcop-02.txt
	Pages		: 39
	Date		: 2003-2-12

This draft introduces Multicast Control Protocol (MCOP) that may be
used as a tool for multicast network management.  MCOP provides
multicast network remote management with centralized information
database located at Multicast Control Server (MCS).  It allows
gradual, group and network specific multicast network deployment.
MCOP protocol is used between MCS and routers that have directly
connected multicast sources or receivers.  The actual control is done
by MCOP enabled routers based on the information received from the
MCS.  MCOP router can filter IGMP/MLD reports and multicast packets
before they reach the IGMP/MLD processing layer or multicast routing
stack of the router.  MCOP is independent of multicast routing
protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lehtonen-magma-mcop-02.txt

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma