Subject: [magma] AD comments on magma-mrdssm-02

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:13:01 +0200 (CEST)

Draft-ietf-ssm-arch-00.txt is listed as a normative reference.
When is that document likely to become a proposed standard?
The RFC editor would not publish this as an RFC until all normative
references have been published.

So perhaps ssm-arch was intended to be a non-normative reference?

In section 1 it would be quite useful to include the motivation for
needing local ssm range for IPv4 (and not for IPv6).
As I understand it, but I could be off base, a single /8 is not
believed to be sufficient for IPv4 SSM (and in IPv6 there is a whole
/32).

Section 1 could benefit from a reference where it says "the SSM range for
IPv6 is well defined ..." to the actual definition.

Section 2:
Length
     The length of the SSM Range Discovery option is variable and
     depends on the number of destination ranges present in the option
     as well as the sizes of the ranges.
In what unit? (octets I assume)
Does the length include the type and length fields?
(pretty basic to have missed this IMHO.)

Mask-Len-n
     The mask length for the nth address range.
In what unit? (bits I assume)
What is the relationship between this and the number of octets used for 
the prefix-N field?
(pretty basic to have missed that as well.)

Prefix-n
     The multicast destination address prefix for the nth range present
     in this option. The size of the prefix field is variable and
     depends on the number of significant bits in the prefix (specified
     in the corresponding Mask-Len field). The field is padded by enough
     trailing bits to make the end of the field fall on an octet
     boundary. Note that the value of the trailing bits is irrelevant.
s/irrelevant/must be sent as zero and ignored on receipt/ ??

This section could benefit from examples e.g with a /16 prefix and a /17
prefix.

Nits:
The document seems to call the option "SSM Range option" but in many
places it has an added "Discovery" to make it "SSM Range Discovery option".
Pick one of them.

> 8.  Normative
Missing "References".

  Erik

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma