Subject: [magma] AD Review comments on draft-ietf-magma-mrdisc-02.txt

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:34:27 -0400

Hi All,

I sent the attached comments regarding draft-ietf-magma-mrdisc-02.txt 
to the authors and WG chairs on October 1st.  I try to cc: the WG on 
substantive AD review comments, and I'm not sure why I didn't in this 
case.

Anyway, you can read my comments below.  I've placed the document in 
"AD Review - Revised ID Needed" state, and I am waiting for a 
resolutions to my issues before sending this document to IETF Last 
Call.

Comments are welcome!

Margaret

---

Substantive Comments:

This draft introduces the concept of a "Multicast Router Termination"
message, but the security considerations section doesn't include any
mention of this message and how/if spoofed Multicast Router
Termination messages could be used in DoS attacks.

In general, I think that the Security Considerations section is
somewhat inadequate.  If this mechanism introduces new security
concerns that don't exist with existing mechanisms, I don't think it
is good enough to simply declare them out of scope.  Also, I don't
fully understand how the SEND work would apply here to resolve the
described problems.  The SEND WG is done, so you would need to
describe here how SEND can be used to mitigate the identified risks.

Editorial Comments:

3.1.5  NeighborDeadInterval

  This variable is the maximum time (in seconds) allowed to elapse
  before a neighbor can be declared unreachable.  In order for all
  devices to have a consistent state, it is necessary for the
  MaxAdvertisementInterval to be configured consistently in all devices
  on the subnet.

>>  This is referring specifically to when you will determine that a
  neighboring multicast router has become unreachable, right?  If so,
  I think that could be clearer.

  All Advertisements are sent as IGMP (for IPv4) or MLD (for IPv6)
  messages to the All-Snoopers multicast address.  These messages
  SHOULD be rate-limited.

>>  You include the above text for advertisement message, but not for
  solicitations or termination messages.  I know it is kind of
  obvious, but I'd consider moving this text to the overview section
  and changing it to say that all MRD messages are sent this way.

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma