Subject: [magma] Two questions about mrouter

From: "Ulises Fabre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:38:08 -0500

Hi all

I have a few problems concerning the mrouter on a IGMP snooping switch that
the draft does not address. Your help would be appreciated. 

In the draft-ietf-magma-snoop-11.txt it talks about forwarding all packets
to the mrouter but this brings up a few questions

1)       How long should a snooping switch hold the mrouter in its table
before timing it out? I know that RFC2236 says 125 sec for query intervals
but this is for mrouters not snooping switches. Should we follow that or
hold it longer on the switch? I would think that we should hold it longer
(i.e. the same timeout for the host 4.10min) so that we can allow the
mrouter to send its queries in time to renew the entry. What do you guys
think? The draft does not address this.

2)       My colleagues and I have a debate whether to do an election process
for the mrouter on the snooping switch. I believe this is not a good idea
since the mrtouer themselves do this. By doing this also allows only one
mrtouer to be configured/elected per vlan instead of allowing more then one.
Is this the proper way to do snooping? Can/should we allow more the one
mrouter to be learned in one vlan? Y

Your help/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ulises

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma