Subject: [magma] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-pashby-magma-simplify-mld-snooping-00.txt

From: "Pashby, Ronald W CTR NSWCDD-B35" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:17:08 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 18:50
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pashby-magma-simplify-mld-snooping-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Simplifying IPv6 MLD Snooping Switches
	Author(s)	: R. Pashby
	Filename	: draft-pashby-magma-simplify-mld-snooping-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 2005-7-14
	
The purpose of this draft is to simplify the design of MLD Snooping 
switches and provide a method for sending Solicited Node multicast 
addresses to be send to every port to improve network security and 
management.

IPv6 Addressing Architecture requires that all nodes must join the 
associated Solicited-Node multicast addresses for every unicast and 
anycast address it is assigned. This causes MLD snooping switches 
to create potentially huge multicast forwarding tables just to 
handle Neighbor Discovery. A simple change to alleviate this would 
be to allow switches to forward a range of addresses that include 
the Solicited-Node multicast addresses to every port. This also 
could help in network discovery and discovering security breaches 
as discussed in [spoof]. Similarly the same allowance could be made 
for Local Network Control Block (LNCB) addresses.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pashby-magma-simplify-mld-snooping-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pashby-magma-simplify-mld-snooping-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pashby-magma-simplify-mld-snooping-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma