Subject: NTDR Gossip and Shameless Recruiting

From: Chip Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:05:19 -0400

Since things have been quiet recently, let me stir things up
with a bit of NTDR gossip and some shameless recruiting.

Gossip:

BBN has now completed Rev 1 of our NTDR ad hoc networking
boxes, and they're out in the field being used. Some of you
may recall from the Munich IETF that NTDR is a radio/router
that runs at a user-visible speed of about 300 Kbps, with
a range of roughly 10 miles, with as many as 400 to 1,000
mobile radio/routers in a single ad hoc network. This is
a vehicle-mounted system, with all vehicles moving at speeds
of up to 50 mph.

The biggest networks actually used, so far, have been about
50 nodes in the field, and 83 nodes in the lab. It's hard in
practice to heap up enough radios to make bigger nets,
but we'll likely get some chances in the coming year. The
protocols all seem to work well; network formation and
mobility management are now quite smooth.

Shameless Recruiting:

If you're psyched to build real, live ad hoc networks,
and are pretty good at protocols and C code, drop me a line.
We have next generation ad hoc networks to build, and have
just recently won contracts to build other novel ad hoc
networks using (a) hand-held radios running on multiple
frequency bands, and (b) airplane drones flying at 100,000'.
Voice over IP is a key part of both these new networks.
We're building a lot of real systems, and would love to
add one or two good people who want to really make things work.

Cheers,

-- Chip Elliott, BBN

PS. If this gossip or recruiting is TOO UTTERLY VULGAR for
your taste, please flame me by private email. No point wasting
everyone's inboxes!

PPS. Does anyone else have news or updates on their work??