Subject: RE: Mobility pattern in a MANET

From: "Miguel Sanchez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:25:19 +0100

Hi George (and everybody):

I'm also working on this item. I have several ideas and I'm coding some (in
Java). I've also taken a look at Exponential Correlated mobility model
(which models -more or less- the movement of an assault troop).

I'm currently have the following models (some of them in an embrionary
stage):

    * brownian model (maximum randomness, each node moves a certain amount
of space after a random period, the movement is completely isolated, I mean,
no other node positions affects it).

    * column model (like a line of ants). The nodes are distributed initally
more or less like a row and the whole row moves in some direction (which may
be also normal to it, not necessary in the same direction as the nodes are
spread). During movement, each node can get close some other and also can
abandon the perfect line formation (Think of it like a perl ring (with
larger space between each perl) that is shaken a little, specially if unions
are elastic). The whole thing can also be moving some direction.

    * flies on a cake. Consider your nodes as the flies flying around a
cake, and the cake is moving (depending on the acceleration of this movement
you'll get different flies density: a fast move will increment the separtion
between every node, but as the aceleration decreases the cloud of flies will
be concentrated in a smaller volume (higher flies density). [I hope anybody
will find this example too much disturbing]

    * nomadic comunity. Similar to the previous, but where minimum and
maximum separation between nodes is bounded, and where the whole group of
nodes movement is done in stages after which the nodes spend an amount of
time moving like the brownian model but only inside its bounded "circle".

And that's all for the moment, I'll be glad  exchanging models with some of
you, in fact my feeling is that we all need a group of consolidated model in
order to use them in our simulations, because manet protocols strengths and
weaknesses are mainly shown in a simulation with realistic moving patterns.

Regards,

Miguel Sanchez
Universidad Politecnica de Valencia (SPAIN)

---

From: Zygmunt Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 06:58:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Miguel,

Just out of curiosity, what is the rationale for these models (except the
Brownian Motion Model?

Zygmunt.
=-=-=--=-=

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas             tel: +1-607-255-3454
Wireless Networks Laboratory
323 Frank Rhodes Hall             fax: +1-607-255-9072
School of Electrical Engineering  
Cornell University                e-mail: [email-masked]
Ithaca, N.Y. 14853                
U.S.A                             http://www.ee.cornell.edu/~haas/wnl.html
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-