Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-manet-term-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:03:10 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Mobile Ad Hoc Networking Terminology
	Author(s)	: C. Perkins
	Filename	: draft-ietf-manet-term-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 18-Nov-98
	
This document presents conventional definitions for many terms to be
used during the discussion of various algorithms for enabling ad hoc
networks of mobile computers, particularly over wireless media.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-manet-term-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-term-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-term-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Fred L. Templin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:26:38 -0800

Charlie,

The draft looks very good and has been needed for some time. One
definition which is missing, however, is the term: "Mobile Ad Hoc
Network" itself. Perhaps it could be defined as "a group of one or
more clusters supporting both intra-cluster and inter-cluster
communications"? (Actually, I just noticed that the working group
charter already has the following definition:)

  "A 'mobile ad hoc network' (MANET) is an autonomous system of mobile
  routers (and associated hosts) connected by wireless links--the union
  of which form an arbitrary graph. The routers are free to move
  randomly and organize themselves arbitrarily; thus, the network's
  wireless topology may change rapidly and unpredictably. Such a
  network may operate in a standalone fashion, or may be connected
  to the larger Internet." 

Fred
[email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Content-Type: text/plain
> Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>