Subject: Participation Call: Workshop on Optical Networks

From: Krishna Sivalingam - EECS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 100 11:11:52 -0800 (PST)

Please find enclosed Call for Participation for the first workshop on
optical networks, in Dallas, TX, from Jan. 31 - Feb 1. If you are
interested, please register as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies if this is received multiple times.

=========================================================================
                       CALL FOR PARTICIPATION 
                    WORKSHOP ON OPTICAL NETWORKS
                  http://catss.utdallas.edu/ONW2000/

                    January 31 - February 1, 2000
                  The University of Texas at Dallas
                           Richardson, TX
				 USA

Co-sponsored by: 
  The Center for Advanced Telecommunications Systems and Services (CATSS),
  IEEE Communications Society, IEEE Region 5, ACM Sigcomm, SPIE

Recent advances in optical technology have provided the potential for 
virtually unlimited bandwidth.  Together with the tremendous growth of the
Internet over the past few years, these advances in optical communications
and networking promise to drastically change the telecommunications 
landscape.  A new optical network layer is evolving which focuses on 
providing advanced optical capabilities, such as optical reconfiguration, 
wavelength provisioning, and all-optical protection and restoration.  
New network protocols and architectures, must be developed in order to
fully utilize this emerging optical layer, and to create an efficient 
optical network that will ultimately provide end-to-end optical 
services.  This workshop will focus on approaches and solutions for 
realizing optical networks in long-haul, metropolitan, and local-access 
environments.  

The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD) is located in the center of the
Telecom Corridor in Richardson, Texas, the home to leading telecommunications
companies such as Nortel, MCI, Alcatal, Nokia, Ericsson, and Fujitsu.
Many of these companies are actively involved in the research and development
of optical networking products and services.

The Center for Advanced Telecommunications Systems and Services at UTD was 
established in 1998 to satisfy the acute needs of the growing Dallas/Richardson 
telecommunications industry.  Its mission is to foster a strong 
industry-university partnership to advance the local telecommunication industry 
to the next generation of systems and services.

WORKSHOP WEB PAGE
=================

http://catss.utdallas.edu/ONW2000/

REGISTRATION FEES
=================

Registration fees will be $250 for IEEE, ACM, and SPIE members, $300
for non-members, and $150 for students.  The registration form may be 
obtained from the web page.

HOTEL INFORMATION
=================

The Clarion Hotel is offering a rate of $70 per room per night for
workshop participants.  For details, refer to the web page.

TECHNICAL PROGRAM
=================

January 31, 2000

8:30am -  9:45am   Keynote Address
                   Rich Cowper
                   VP Global High Capacity Transport, Nortel Networks

9:45am - 10:00am   Coffee break

10:00am - 12:00am  Session 1. Routing and Wavelength Assignment

   Algorithm for Optimal Routing and Wavelength Assignment on a 
   Bi-directional Ring
   Gang Liu, Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies 
   Thomas E. Stern, Electrical Engineering Dept., Columbia Univ.

   Profitable Connection Assignment in All Optical WDM Networks
   Vishal Anand, Tushar Katarki and Chunming Qiao
   Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, State Univ. of NY at Buffalo

   On Path Accommodation Methods for Optical Compression TDM Ring
   Kazuhiro Gukyu, Dept. of Information and Mathematical Science, Osaka Univ.
   Ken-ichi Baba, Computation Center, Osaka Univ.
   Masayuki Murata, Dept. of Information and Mathematical Science, Osaka Univ.

   The Partition Coloring Problem and its Application to Wavelength Routing 
   and Assignment
   Guangzhi Li and Rahul Rimha, 
   Dept. of Computer Science, College of William and Mary

12:00am - 1:30pm   Lunch 

   Invited Talk:   "Optical Networks for the Rest of Us"
    		   Bill St. Arnaud
                   Senior Director Network Projects, CANARIE

1:30pm - 3:30pm	   Session 2. Management and Quality-of-Service

   Interconnected WDM Ring Networks: Strategies for Interconnection and 
   Traffic Grooming
   Jian Wang and Biswanath Mukherjee, 
   Dept. of Computer Science, UC Davis

   Distributed Control Schemes for Dynamic Lightpath Establishment in WDM 
   Optical Networks  
   Yousong Mei and Chunming Qiao, 
   Dept. Computer Science and Engineering, State Univ. of NY at Buffalo

   Efficient Fault Localization Algorithm for IP/WDM Networks
   Carmen Mas and Patrick Thiran, ICA, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.

   Service-Specific Resource Allocation in WDM Networks with Quality Constraints
   Admela Jukan, Institute Commun. Networks, Vienna Univ. of Technology

3:30pm - 4:00pm    Coffee Break

4:00pm - 5:00pm	   Panel Session

   Optical Network Applications
   Panel Moderator: Zouheir Mansourati, Nortel Networks

February 1, 2000

8:30am - 10:00am   Session 3. IP over WDM Networks

   A Framework for IP over WDM Using Optical Burst Switching
   Hemant M. Chaskar, Sanjeev Verma, and Rayadurgam Ravikanth
   Nokia Research Center

   Integration Strategies for IP over WDM
   Nasir Ghani, Nokia Research Center

   Management Issues for IP over DWDM Networks
   D. C. Blight and P. J. Czezowski, Fujitsu Lab. of America

10:00am - 10:30am  Coffee Break

10:30am - 12:30pm  Session 4. Network Performance

   Design of OWns: Optical Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM) Network 
   Simulator
   Nilesh M. Bhide and Krishna M. Sivalingam
   School of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Washington State Univ. 

   A Novel Hybrid Wavelength Converter Node Architecture for WDM Wavelength - 
   Routed Networks  
   Jong Tae Lee, Sprint PCS,
   Byrav Ramamurthy, 
   Dept. Computer Science & Engineering, Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln

   CAD Design in Optical Networks: A Case Study
   Don Montgomery and Gaoxi Xiao, 
   Center for Advanced Telecommunication Systems and Services, 
   Univ. of Texas at Dallas

12:30pm - 2:00pm   Lunch 

   Invited Talk:   "True Optical Networking for Emerging Metro Markets"
                   Rohit Sharma
                   Founder, VP, and Chief Architect, Optical Networks

2:00pm -  4:00pm   Session 5. Network Architectures

   Network Controller Design for SONATA, a Large Scale All-Optical WDM Network
   A. Bianco, E. Leonardi, M. Meillia and F. Neri
   Dipartimento di Elettronica, Politecnico di Torino

   A Low-Latency Optical Network For Cluster Computing
   W. A. Rosen, Y. Zhou, H. Sethu, A. S. Daryoush and R. N. Lachenmaier
   ECE Dept. Drexel Univ.

   Subrate Multiplexing Using Time and Code Division Multiple Access in Dense 
   Wavelength Multiplexing Networks
   B. Decusatis, IBM Corp., and P. Das, EE Dept. UCSD

   Single-Hop WDM Network with High Spetrum Reuse Based on An Arrayed Waveguide
   Grating
   Tino Maier and Adam Wolisz, Technical Univ. Berlin

4:30pm - 5:30pm    Panel Session
    
   IP over WDM
   Panel Moderator: George Rouskas, North Carolina State Univ.