Subject: Stable Linux MANET Implementations?

From: "John Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:31:27 -0500

I'm looking for a more or less stable implementation of MANET on Linux for
setting up a small MANET here at Virginia Tech.  We want to install Mobile
IP on the same hosts, so those installations with patches to the kernel
would be best (so we can also patch them for Mobile IP if necessary).

The implementations I found on Joe Macker's site that support Linux are:
* University of Maryland's TORA (Linux 2.1.95)
* UCLA's ODMRP (Linux 2.0.36)
* Ericsson's AODV (Linux 2.0.36)
* Georgia Tech's ABR
* INRIA's OLSR

Any help as to which implementation is easiest to install would be
appreciated.

Thanks!
John Wells

---

From: Derek Smithies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:15:05 +1300

> * Ericsson's AODV (Linux 2.0.36)

I also have been looking around for Linux implementations, and have been
wondering if the manet group have missed something crucial.

Several cute features (and quite useful for mobile nodes in a MANET) 
are in IPv6, neighbour discovery/route discovery in particular.

With neighbour/route discovery you have the basis of the necessary 
information for a mobile source routing networking protocol. True, 
there are significant scaling issues here. Neighbour/route discovery 
will not scale to millions of mobile nodes. However, if you limit the 
region of discovery to be several hundred (my guess for a reasonable 
number) nodes then routing within the zone is possible. Routing between
zones is a problem left for the three (say) fixed ethernodes 
in the zone which are connected to the ethernet.

I wrote to one member of the manet group on this issue, and his reply
was
>yes v6 for ad hoc nets will be interesting...when v6 happens of course.
A reply that suggests v6 is a long way away. However, everyone said that
about computers having 100 MB/ram (when the biggest you ever heard of was
8 MB). Given the current congestion of the numbering space in IPv4, and
that IPv6 stacks do exist, a shift to v6 is imminent.

Comment, anyone?

Derek.
-- 
Derek Smithies Ph.D.        ph +64 3 343 6172
Indranet Technologies Ltd.  http://www.Indranet.co.nz/ 
Smithies law:
  Computers have two fundamental problems, a)too small and b)too slow.