Subject: OLSR draft

From: Amir Qayyum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:10:43 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

A new version of Internet Draft on OLSR protocol is available and is
attached with this mail. It will be submitted to IETF when the
submission will re-open.

-- Amir

		Optimized Link State Routing Protocol

Abstract

   This document describes the Optimized Link State Routing (OLSR)
   protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. The protocol is an
   optimization of the pure link state algorithm tailored to the
   requirements of a mobile wireless LAN. The key concept used in the
   protocol is that of multipoint relays (MPRs) [1] & [2]. MPRs are
   selected nodes which forward broadcast packets during the flooding
   process. This technique substantially reduces the packet overhead
   as compared to pure flooding mechanism where every node retransmits
   the packet when it receives the first copy of the packet. In OLSR
   protocol, the information flooded in the network "through" these
   multipoint relays is also "about" the multipoint relays. Thus a
   second optimization is achieved by minimizing the "contents" of the
   control packets flooded in the network. Hence, as contrary to the
   classic link state algorithm, only a small subset of links with the
   neighbor nodes are declared instead of all the links. This
   information is then used by the OLSR protocol for route
   calculation. As a consequence hereof, the routes contain only the
   MPRs as intermediate nodes from a Source to a Destination. OLSR
   provides optimal routes (in terms of number of hops). The protocol
   is particularly suitable for large and dense networks as the
   technique of multipoint relays works well in this context.