Subject: About redistributing routes

From: Manel Guerrero Zapata <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:10:19 +0300

Hi:

I've been thinking about the following:

In a router that uses different router protocols (one of them is AODV).
Let's say than the other router protocols redistribute (or might do it)
routes between each other.

Taking into account the nature of AODV, should AODV make and/or accept
some kind of redistribution with them? Although AODV would be the only
routing protocol for adhoc networks in that router?

What do you think about it?

BR/ManelG

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 07:21:27 -0700

Hello Manel,

AODV will happily accept routes as long as:
- The routes have a destination sequence number, and
- The routes have a lifetime.

If you would like to have AODV interact with another routing
protocol, then either the above may be satisfied directly
by the other routing protocol, or you can try to make up some
way to fool AODV into thinking its conditions are satisfied.

However, if the sequence numbers aren't handled correctly,
you will lose AODV's guarantee against routing loops.

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Manel Guerrero Zapata <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:21:50 +0300

Hi :)

Is there any draft, RFC, or some paper in where
is discused the interaction between AODV and other
routing protocols.

In the same manner than between BGP4/IDRP and OSPF
there is:

"BGP4/IDRP for IP---OSPF Interaction" (RFC 1745)

BR/ManelG

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:44:01 -0700

Hello Manel,

Thanks for your previous note about the misnumbering for
AODV message types.  The extension numbering was already
O.K., so we left those numbers alone.  The documents with
new numbers are available at:
	http://www.iprg.nokia.com/~charliep/txt/aodvid/.
and we expect to resubmit them not too long after the IETF
meeting in Pittsburgh.

> is discused the interaction between AODV and other

Since AODV is not yet promulgated as a standard of any
type, one might not expect much to be available within
the manet working group to cover this topic.  However,
I can offer the following observation.

AODV should interact well with any other routing protocol
as long as the destination has the same kind of monotonic
sequence number as is needed by AODV.  If this sequence
number is not available, or if it is supplied as a dummy
substitute not created by the destination, then it may not
be possible for AODV to continue to guarantee loop free
routes.

Regards,
Charlie P.