Subject: Need your help with Optical Netwoking project

From: "Shally Steckerl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:46:31 -0700

Hi, I'm Shally Steckerl and I work for Cisco System's Service Provider Line
of Business. I got your address from a web page on the internet. I've been
tasked with helping a very important project within our Optical Networking
Group, and was wondering if you could help me. I'm new to this sector of the
industry and need to network with good folks who may know someone interested
in joining our rapidly growing team. We are undertaking many important
projects with big customers in the Rocky Mountain region (Montana, Kansas,
Colorado, Utah, Idaho or Wyoming) and need to grow our staff.

I thought that since you are in this business you may be able to help me
network. I'm looking for people with engineering or sales experience who are
familiar with the Optical sector, even if they are not in that geographic
area. Please let me know if any of your friends, peers or contacts would be
interested in talking with me about this opportunity or know someone in the
optical networking business. Also any suggestions on where else to network
would be eternally appreciated!

At the end of this message is a detailed description of the technical
environment. If I should contact you by other means, or at another address,
please reply or call. Or, if you know someone who is interested, feel free
to simply forward this message.

ADVthanksANCE!

Shally Steckerl
Cisco Systems
480-922-9287

p.s. this is sent from my home address, if you prefer you could reply to
[email-masked]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Optical Transport and Optical Networking

Buzz:
http://www.cisco.com/jobs/us/culture.shtml
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/servpro/solutions/optical/
About Cisco: http://www.fortune.com/fortune/2000/05/29/ten10.html
Best Companies: http://www.pathfinder.com/fortune/bestcompanies/

Responsibilities:
- Perform technical presentations to customers and prospects as well as
assist in the development and generation of formal sales proposals to ensure
technical accuracy
- Determine network requirements and design efficient, cost-effective
solutions based on transmission product specifications and customer
requirements
- Perform equipment demonstrations for existing and prospective customers
and sales force
- Perform technical marketing functions to designated regions in support of
strategic sales efforts

Requirements:
- BS/BA, EE/CS or equivalent, with a minimum of 3 years related industry
experience designing and implementing networks
- Specific experience with SONET/SDH transport/access equipment
- Understanding of traditional TDM and WDM

---

From: "Dave Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 07:17:35 -0400

Shally, You may not have known this, but you sent this message not to an
individual, but to an IETF mailing list. Doing so is in fact a fairly
serious breach of nettiquette, and a retraction and apology are in order.
Recruiting via IETF mailing lists is considered well outside the bounds of
acceptable postings to mailing lists whose purpose is furthering standards
development in the IETF.

Thanks for dealing with this quickly,

Dave Oran, Area Director, Routing Area, IETF.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Shally Steckerl
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 2:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Need your help with Optical Netwoking project

ADVthanksANCE!

Shally Steckerl
Cisco Systems
480-922-9287

Buzz:

Responsibilities:

Requirements:

---

From: "Shally Steckerl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:50:16 -0700

Dave,

Thank you for notifying me! I am indeed aware that sending such a message to
a list is an inexcusable breach of etiquette. As a list admin myself, and
subscriber to many, I am embarrassed. I beg readers accept my apology. My
intention was to reach an individual not a list, and I did not recognize
[email-masked] as a list address.

It was given to me by a good person, as a professional referral, with the
best of intentions. I assumed it was an individual's address and thought I
would be able to network further. Once again, my sincerest apologies for the
mistake.

-Shally

"The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything."
--Bishop W. C. Magee