Subject: IP Address Allocation

From: "Saket Agarwal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:49:39 GMT

Hi everyone,
  I have recently joined the manet group and am currently pursuing a 
theoretical analysis of different ad hoc networks as a thesis
  After a lot of background reading(maybe not enough), i was wondering about 
how IP addresses are going to be assigned to each node i.e. if each node 
will have a permanent address or if it will change as the node moves in the 
network. What is the criteria for the latter. Is this problem 
protocol-specific, being different in AODV to DSR to any other protocol,
  I am sorry if this issue has been discussed previously,
  Thanks
Rgds
Saket Agarwal

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:35:50 -0700

Hello Saket,

The problem of IP address allocation has been discussed quite a
bit, but I am certain it needs yet more discussion.  It is possible
for IP addresses to remain static or to be reassigned after movement.
The problem is not protocol specific.

We have made an attempt at a generic protocol specification.
See the following for details:
    http://www.iprg.nokia.com/~charliep/txt/aodvid/autoconf.txt

Regards,
Charlie P.