Subject: Faculty Positions at Washington University in Saint Louis

From: Catalin Roman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 20:28:14 -0600 (CST)

Washington University in Saint Louis
Department of Computer Science
www.cs.wustl.edu

Applications are invited for tenure-track faculty positions at the 
Assistant, Associate and Full Professor levels. Applicants should 
hold a doctorate in Computer Science or a closely related field, have 
a record of accomplishment in research, and demonstrate a strong 
commitment to teaching.

Building upon the impressive recruiting successes of the last two 
years that included eight new tenure-track faculty, the Department 
plans to fill three additional faculty positions. The Department 
continues to seek outstanding candidates likely to develop 
synergistic relationships with existing areas of research excellence. 
Academic couples seeking to co-locate are strongly encouraged to 
apply. Research groups in search of a highly supportive 
institutional environment may also want to consider relocating to 
Washington University. With the strong backing of the University and 
the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Department is 
committed to making significant investments in promising new areas of 
study and to providing the kind of resources and environment that 
will enable new faculty members to flourish intellectually. 
Candidates with a strong background in networking (including wireless 
communication and security), software systems (particularly embedded 
systems, mobile computing and database), computer engineering, 
theory, and artificial intelligence will receive special 
consideration.

The Department enjoys a great research reputation and impressive 
levels of research activity, e.g., annual research expenditures 
recently reached a record $450,000 per faculty member. Research 
areas which are well represented in the Department include: 
networking and communications; distributed software systems; graphics 
and computer vision; artificial intelligence; computer and system 
architecture; and computational biology. Our doctoral graduates have 
been heading for successful careers in academia and industrial 
research centers while noteworthy entrepreneurial endeavors 
spearheaded by our faculty and graduates (with the full support of 
the University) attest to a highly respected technology transfer 
tradition and culture. Strict limits on University undergraduate 
enrollments combined with the increasing popularity of Washington 
University allows the Department to continue to offer small classes 
and close personal attention to a diverse student body of exceptional 
quality and to benefit from strong participation by undergraduates on 
a wide range of research projects. A faculty known for its friendly, 
accepting and supportive nature provides a welcoming and mentoring 
environment for new arrivals. Finally, progressive fiscal policies 
that reward research, teaching, and innovation by the Department have 
created an environment rich in resources that fosters a readiness to 
invest in promising new initiatives.

Washington University is a leading private national university 
recognized for its world class intellectual contributions (20 Nobel 
Prize Laureates have been associated with the University), its 
exceptional resources (an endowment of $3.5 billion, among the 
largest in the nation), its ambitious investments in physical 
facilities, and its commitment to research excellence. The 
University is located in the midst of a delightful residential 
community which places much value on education and culture and is 
very popular with both faculty and students.

Qualified applicants should send a curriculum vita and the names and 
addresses of at least three references to Dr. Catalin Roman, 
Chairman, Department of Computer Science, Campus Box 1045, Washington 
University, One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130-4899.

Applications will be considered as they are received. Those received 
after February 1, 2001, may not receive full consideration. 
Washington University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action 
employer.