Subject: the number of RREP for the same destination in ZRP

From: "Chih-fan Hsin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:43:06 -0300

Does ZRP have any mechanism to limit the number of RREP for the same destination?
I can not find any mechanism throught the internet-draft.
For example, DSR can use promiscuous mode and delay sending RREP. AODV can use the sequence number checking.

Thanks,
Charles

---

From: "Marc Pearlman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:21:34 -0400

Hi Charles,

 > For example, DSR can use promiscuous mode and delay sending RREP. AODV can
use the sequence number checking.

The ZRP framework provides a great deal of flexibility in how the reactive
IERP and proactive IARP components can be implemented.
(The implementation guidelines for IERP and IARP are outlined in their
respective drafts).   In particular, an IERP based on DSR can use
promiscuous mode RREP reception and delay sending RREPs. Likewise, IERP
based on AODV can control RREPs through sequence numbers.

In addition to supporting the explicit RREP control mechanisms of existing
route discovery protocols, ZRP's query control mechanisms (ie. query
detection / early termination) indirectly limit the amount of RREP traffic.
As the zone radius increases, nodes receive fewer RREQ copies (on average)
and, in fact are more likely to receive no RREQ at all.  This reduces the
number of RREP initiated by nodes that have routes to the destination.

regards,

Marc