Subject: AODV IP-address configuration and Internet gatewaying

From: Erik Nordström <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Feb 2002 17:38:33 +0100

Hello.

Could someone explain to me why AODV should allow any node with any
IP-address to be a participant in the ad-hoc network (as suggested in
section 7 of the AODV draft)?

To me the idea of subnets is a good thing, and is the principle on wich
IP-routing is based.

Breaking subnetting would complicate interaction with the IP-layer and
the mechanisms behind gatewaying (for connecting the ad-hoc network to
the Internet).

Why do AODV even use IP-addresses if creating subnets is not desirable?
Subnets are sort of the whole idea behind IP, isn't it?

Also, a draft issue:

When using "blacklists" and expanding ring search, should
BLACKLIST_TIMEOUT really be [(TTL_THRESHOLD - TTL_START)/TTL_INCREMENT]
+ 1 + RREQ_RETRIES = 6?

This is clearly _much_ smaller than "standard" BLACKLIST_TIMEOUT which
is RREQ_RETRIES * NET_TRAVERSAL_TIME = 4200.

/Erik Nordström

---

From: "Hao Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:48:34 -0500

I am working on the study on optimizing the power/energy consumption of
ad-hoc networking. Could someone tell me a link to find some papers or tech
resource on it.  Thanks in advance for your help.

---

From: Ya Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:01:45 -0800 (PST)

Hao,

You can check Mobicom'2001 where there is a section of 3 papers regarding
energy consumption of ad hoc network.

-Ya

---

From: "Tao Lin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:25:26 -0500

I need some help on ns-2 mobility simulations.

Sample files in ns-2 usually select a destination and move a node with a
certain speed towards that postion.

What should I do if I want to simulate wrappround movement? (In other words,
if node moves to the edge of the map, how to reset its position to the other
side?) Thanks!

---

From: Rajesh Bhairampally <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:20:28 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

I recently submitted a paper to mobihoc on the idea of energy
complexity. Energy complexity - like time complexity of an algorithm - is
a theory to analytically compute minimum energy consumption of ad hoc
network protocol. I demonstrated how one can use this theory to optimize
different protocol strategies to reduce energy consumption of a protocol.

This paper is available on my webpage at
http://www.utdallas.edu/~rajesh/resume/mobihoc02.pdf
Currently i am working on an improved model of the same idea. I'll let you
know once it is ready.

sincerely,
raesh

> resource on it.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Rajesh

===============================================================================

Rajesh Bhairampally
Graduate Research Assistant
Scalable Network Engineering Techniques Lab (NET Lab)
University of Texas at Dallas
Richardson, TX 75080

[email-masked]
http://www.utdallas.edu/~rajesh
===============================================================================

---

From: Hridesh Rajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 09:24:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi 

Some publications on power/energy consumption:

Rodoplu, V.; Meng, T.H., “Minimum energy mobile wireless networks” IEEE Journal 
on Selected Areas in Communications, Volume: 17 Issue: 8, Aug. 1999 Page(s): 
1333 –1344 

Javier Gomez, Andrew T. Campbell, Mahmoud Naghshineh, Chatschik 
Bisdikian, “Conserving Transmission Power in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks”, Proc. 
9th International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2001), Riverside, 
California, November 11 - 14, 2001. 

Javier Gomez, and Andrew T. Campbell, Mahmoud Naghshineh and C. 
Bisdikian "Power-Aware Routing in Wireless Packet Radio" , Proc. 6th IEEE 
International Workshop on Mobile Multimedia Communications (MOMUC99) , San 
Diego, 15-17 November 1999. 

J. Gomez, A.T. Campbell, M. Naghshineh, C. Bisdikian "PARO: A Power-Aware 
Routing Optimization Scheme for Mobile Ad hoc Networks", Internet Draft draft-
gomez-paro-manet-00.txt IETF MANET Working Group, 50th IETF - Minneapolis, MN, 
March 2001. 

Ya Xu, John Heidemann, and Deborah Estrin. Geography-informed Energy 
Conservation for Ad Hoc Routing. In Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE International 
Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 70-84. Rome, Italy, ACM. 
July 2001. 
 
I hope you will find them usefull.

Hridesh

---

From: "Andrew T. Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:31:59 -0500

For those interested in the Columbia papers
Hao points to; they can be found at:

http://comet.columbia.edu/armstrong/

---
Andrew
http://comet.columbia.edu/~campbell

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Hridesh Rajan
> Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 9:24 AM
> To: Hao Zhang
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: resource about the power optimization on ad hoc network
>
>
>
> Hi
>
> > ad-hoc networking. Could someone tell me a link to find
> some papers or
> > tech

---

From: Vikas Kawadia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:04:59 -0600 (CST)

We have developed the COMPOW protocol for power control in ad hoc
networks. It has also been implemented and tested in a Linux testbed.

``Power Control in Ad-Hoc Networks: Theory, Architecture, Algorithm and
Implementation of the COMPOW protocol.'' 
* Swetha Narayanaswamy, Vikas Kawadia, R. S. Sreenivas and P. R. Kumar,

To appear in European Wireless 2002. Next Generation Wireless Networks:
Technologies, Protocols, Services and Applications, February 25-28, 2002.
Florence, Italy. 

The paper can be found here.

http://black1.csl.uiuc.edu/~prkumar/postscript_files.html#Wireless%20Networks

There is also a farily comprehensive list of references.

..vikas

> on Selected Areas in Communications, Volume: 17 Issue: 8, Aug. 1999 Page(s): 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                          Vikas Kawadia
                          -------------
                    http://www.uiuc.edu/~kawadia
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---

From: Jeff Wieselthier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:11:38 -0500

>resource on it.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Here is the message I posted to the manet list on 11/28/01.
I hope this is helpful.

    -- Jeff

In response to the recent request for references on power-aware 
routing on the manet list, here is a listing of our publications in 
this area.

We have recently published numerous papers on energy-aware 
broadcasting and multicasting.

Most of our work addresses energy-efficient operation, in which the 
goal is to produce energy-efficient trees.

We address the impact of finite transceiver and bandwidth resources.

Papers [4], [13], [14] and [16] address the important case of 
energy-limited operation, in which a node dies when its energy is 
depleted.  We show how network lifetime can be extended dramatically 
by appropriate changes to the cost function used in constructing the 
trees.

These papers are not yet available on our website, although we hope 
to post them in the near future.

In the meantime, we would be happy to email our papers to anyone who 
is interested.

      Best regards,
      Jeff 

   Papers on Energy-Aware Broadcasting and Multicasting
   Naval Research Laboratory

Journal Articles

[1]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Algorithms 
for Energy-Efficient Multicasting in Static Ad Hoc Wireless 
Networks," Journal on Special Topics in Mobile Networking and 
Applications (MONET), 6-3, pp. 251-263, June 2001.

[2]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Energy-Efficient Broadcast and Multicast Trees in Wireless 
Networks," to appear in the Journal on Special Topics in Mobile 
Networking and Applications (MONET).

[3]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Energy-Efficient Multicasting of Session Traffic in Bandwidth- and 
Transceiver-Limited Wireless Networks," to appear in Journal of 
Cluster Computing.

[4]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Resource 
Management in Energy-Limited, Bandwidth-Limited, Transceiver Limited 
Wireless Networks for Session-Based Multicasting," to appear in 
Computer Networks.

Conference Papers

[5]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Multicasting in Energy-Limited Ad-Hoc Wireless Networks," 
Proceedings of IEEE MILCOM'98, Bedford, MA, pp. 723-729, October 1998.

[6]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Energy-Efficient Wireless Networking Techniques: Fundamental Issues 
and an Application to Multicasting in Ad Hoc Networks," Proceedings 
of the NATO RTO Information Systems Technology (IST) Symposium on 
Tactical Mobile Communications (RTO-MP-26), Lillehammer, Norway, pp. 
5-1-5-13, June 1999.

[7]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Algorithms 
for Energy-Efficient Multicasting in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks," 
Proceedings of MILCOM'99, Atlantic City, NJ, October/November 1999.

[8]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "On the 
Construction of Energy-Efficient Broadcast and Multicast Trees in 
Wireless Networks," Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2000, Tel Aviv, 
Israel, pp. 585-594, March 2000.

[9]  G. D. Nguyen, J. E. Wieselthier, and A. Ephremides, "The Effect 
of Bandwidth Limitations on Wireless Broadcasting and Multicasting," 
2000 Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, Princeton 
University, pp. TA7a-7-TA7a-12, March 2000.

[10]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Algorithms 
for Bandwidth-Limited Energy-Efficient Wireless Broadcasting and 
Multicasting," Proceedings of IEEE MILCOM 2000, Los Angeles, CA, 
October 2000.

[11]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Energy 
Efficiency, Energy Constraints, and Admission Control in Wireless 
Networks: A Case Study in Session Multicasting," Proceedings of the 
38th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and 
Computing, pp. 103-112, October 2000.

[12]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Resource-Limited Energy-Efficient Wireless Multicast of Session 
Traffic," Proceedings of Hawaii International Conference on System 
Sciences (HICSS-34), Maui, Hawaii, January 2001.

[13]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "Energy 
Efficiency in Energy-Limited Wireless Networks for Session-Based 
Multicasting," Proceedings of the 2001 Spring Vehicular Technology 
Conference, May 2001.

[14]  G. D. Nguyen, J. E. Wieselthier, and A. Ephremides, "The 
Effects of Multicast Group Size and Antenna Directivity on 
Energy-Constrained Multicasting," Proceedings of the 2001 Conference 
on Information Sciences and Systems, Johns Hopkins University, 
Baltimore, MD, March 2001.

[15]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, "The Impact 
of Directional Antennas on Energy-Aware, Session-Based Multicasting 
in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks," Proceedings of IEEE MILCOM 2001, 2001.

[16]  J. E. Wieselthier, G. D. Nguyen, and A. Ephremides, 
"Energy-Limited Wireless Networking with Directional Antennas: The 
Case of Session-Based Multicasting," to appear in Proceedings of IEEE 
INFOCOM 2002, New York, NY, to take place June 2002.