Subject: Re: Address Allocation with IPV6

From: "Richard Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:31:42 +0000

Hello list, hello Kilian,

   would it really be necessary to tie the IPv6 address to the hardware? 
Rather you could buy your IP address from your (Mobile IP) Service Provider 
and assign it to whatever device you are currently using. For IP addresses 
there is already a central registration, namely the IANA. Wouldn't this be 
the straightforward solution?

   Related to wired IPv6 SAA, it would still not be obsolete, because it is 
a convenient means for companies to configure their infrastructure network 
in a plug and play manner.

regards,
Richard

--- Original Message ---

Hello Djamal,

I have two comments on that:

Firstly, in your scenario routing would only work if every existing
device has an unique IPv6 address assigned by the manufacturer.
This is not the case today and even
if EVERY manufacturer would start doing so at some point of time in the
future (I don't see any such effort, yet), there are still
thousands of devices without addresses, that were sold before.
Furthermore, you would need some sort of central registration, as there is
for IEEE MAC-addresses. And even the MAC-addresses are not unique today
(some manufacturers sell devices with unregistered MAC-addresses; you can 
change
the MAC-address of some devices,...). So even in the case you would have
this central registry, you probably want to have a backup solution to
guarantee unique addresses.

By the way, if you argue against IPv6 SAA in ad hoc networks, you
could also argue against IPv6 SAA in general (in wired LANs). You
wouldn't need that, too, if all (wired) network devices would have unique,
pre-assigned IPv6 addresses.

Secondly, a hierarchy is established by the architecture described in the
paper, which can be used by routing protocols to achieve an improved
scalability (route aggregation...). You wouldn't have this with
preassigned addresses.

Kilian Weniger

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, MEDDOUR Djamal Eddine thesard FTRD/DAC/LAN wrote:

>hi all
>I am reading a paper which talk about Address Allocation with IPV6 (IPv6
>Autoconfiguration in Large Scale Mobile Ad Hoc Networks). do you think
>really that a same scheme is needed?. in IPV6 we have a huge number of IP
>address, we can attribute statically one adresse by node (when we buy a
>terminal we can buy an IP address with it).
>any comments ?
>
>

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Dipl.-Ing. Kilian Weniger phone: (+49)(0)721-608 6415 Institute of 
Telematics fax: (+49)(0)721-388097 Department of Computer Science email: 
[email-masked] University of Karlsruhe homepage: 
http://www.tm.uka.de/~weniger/ D-76128 Karlsruhe

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Kilian Weniger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:39:15 +0100 (CET)

Hello Richard,

even if you would have this possiblity of buying a permanent IP address,
you probably also want a independent plug-and-play solution for
spontaneous networking scenarios without internet connection.
(Independent in terms of being able to communicate
in an ad hoc network even if you don't have a contract with a Service
Provider.)

By the way, I don't think that it's a good solution, that users have to reconfigure
the IP stack each time they change their devices. At least they should
have an seperate IP address for each device, which would be quite
expensive and you would have to remember several IP addresses.

And you also don't have the possiblity of hierarchical routing
within the ad hoc network with pre-assigned addresses.

I would prefer a self-organizing, autoconfiguring and
independent (from any commercial organizations) ad hoc network.
If I want to access the internet via Mobile IP,
I get a routable address assigned by the FA (e.g. as
described in draft-wakikawa-manet-globalv6-00.txt) and, potentially, use
the IP address bought from a Mobile IP Service Provider as Home Address. This
would be a device-independent plug-and-play solution for internet access.

regards,

Kilian

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Ing. Kilian Weniger           phone: (+49)(0)721-608 6415
Institute of Telematics             fax:   (+49)(0)721-388097
Department of Computer Science      email: [email-masked]
University of Karlsruhe 	    homepage: http://www.tm.uka.de/~weniger/
D-76128 Karlsruhe