Subject: [manet] CfP Wireless LAn/PAN minitrack at HICSS-36

From: Gergely Zaruba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:06:43 -0600

Dear Colleagues,

(We apologize if you receive multiple copies.)
Please feel free to distribute the below CfP
among colleagues, interested parties, and related lists.

Best Regards,
Sajal Das, Gergely Zaruba and Kalyan Basu

====================================================================
                          CALL FOR PAPERS

                       HICSS-36 Minitrack on

                      WIRELESS LANs AND PANs

               http://crystal.uta.edu/~zaruba/hicss36/

               Part of the Software Technology Track
                       Thirty-sixth Annual
          HAWAI'I INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SYSTEM SCIENCES
                       January 6 - 9, 2003,
          Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island of Hawaii

---------------------------------------------------------------------

   Abstracts due:   March 31, 2002
   Full Papers due: June 1, 2002

=====================================================================

Minitrack Co-Chairs and Technical Committee

* Sajal K. Das
* Gergely V. Zaruba
* Kalyan Basu

    Center for Research in Wireless Mobility and Networking (CReWMaN)
    Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE@UTA)
    The University of Texas at Arlington
    Email: {das,zaruba,[email-masked]

Overview:
In the past quarter century we have seen the rollout of three
generations of wireless cellular systems attracting end-users by
providing efficient mobile communications. On another front wireless
technology became an important component in providing networking
infrastructure for localized data delivery. This later revolution was
made possible by the induction of new networking technologies and
paradigms, such as wireless local area networks (WLAN) and wireless
personal area networks (WPAN).

Wireless personal area networks (WPANs) are short to very short-range
(from a couple centimeters to a couple of meters) wireless networks
that can be used to exchange information between devices in the reach
of a person. WPANs can be used to replace cables between computers
and their peripherals, to establish communities helping people do
their everyday chores making them more productive, or to establish
location aware services. Wireless local area networks (WLANs) on the
other hand provide with a larger transmission range. Although WLAN
equipment usually carries the capability to be set up for ad hoc
networking, the premier choice of deployment is yet a cellular like
infrastructure mode to interface wireless users with the Internet.

The best example representing WPANs is the recent industry standard:
Bluetooth, other examples include Spike (for real time gaming -
proprietary technology), and in the broad sense HomeRF. The IEEE 802
committee has also realized the importance of short-range wireless
networking and initiated the establishment of the IEEE 802.15 working
group to standardize protocols and interfaces for wireless personal
area networking. For WLANs the most well known representatives are
based on the standards IEEE802.11 and HiperLAN with all their
different variations.

One key issue of the feasibility of WPANs is the cost of the chips
enabling the actual wireless data transfer. Companies developing
Bluetooth chips claim, that in the near future complex one-chip
solutions of the Bluetooth specification will be available in the $5
price range. With this target price it is predicted that not only
will most PDAs, phones, laptops include such technology but that the
number of small WPAN enabled devices (e.g., pens, cameras, headsets,
various sensors) will soon outnumber the computers on the Internet.

Another key issue is the inter-working of wireless technologies to
create heterogeneous wireless networks. For instance, WPANs and WLANs
will enable an extension of the third generation (3G) cellular
networks (i.e., UMTS and cdma2000) into devices without direct
cellular access. Moreover, devices interconnected in a WPAN may be
able to utilize a combination of 3G access and WLAN access by
selecting the access that is best for the moment. In such networks
3G, WLAN and WPAN technologies do not compete against each other but
enable the user to select the best connectivity for his/her purposes.

We expect that the availability of a cheap short-range wireless
technology will further fuel research and development in what, where
and most importantly how WLAN and WPAN technologies could be used
for.

Scope:
The minitrack will concentrate on completed or ongoing research in
the area of wireless local area networking and wireless personal area
networking (excluding manufacturing). Areas of interest include but
are not limited to research in:
  * QoS provisioning in WLANs and WPANs
  * TCP performance of WLANs and WPANs
  * Bluetooth for ad hoc networks (scatternets)
  * IP over Bluetooth
  * Bluetooth performance evaluation
  * Routing in Bluetooth scatternets
  * Security issues of WPANs and WLANs
  * Mobility management and seamless integration of WLANs and PANs
  * Heterogeneous wireless infrastructures employing WLANS
    and/or WPANs
  * Interoperability, interference and co-existence issues
  * WPANs vs. WLANs
  * Protocols tailored to WLANs and WPANs
  * Caching in WLANs and WPANs
  * Service discovery using WLANs and WPANs

Important Deadlines in 2002:
  * March 31, 2002 Abstracts submitted for guidance and indication of
    appropriate content.
  * June 1, 2002 Full papers submitted to Minitrack Chairs.
    Contact minitrack chairs for submission instructions.
  * August 31, 2002 Notice of acceptance or rejections of papers sent
    to Authors by Minitrack Chairs.
  * October 1, 2002 Accepted manuscripts submitted electronically to
    the publisher of the conference proceedings. At least one author
    of each accepted paper must register to attend the conference by
    this date. Registration cancellations after this date may result
    in the paper being pulled from the Proceedings prior to printing.
    See conference web site for registration fee refund policy.

NOTE:
Because HICSS is a nonprofit activity funded entirely by registration
fees, all participants and speakers are expected to have their
university/organization bear the costs of their expenses and
registration. HICSS is not able to subsidize registrations or offer
reduced fees.

Instructions for the Authors:
1. Contact Gergely Zaruba in advance for specific submission
instructions. Otherwise, submit six (6) copies of the full paper,
consisting of 22-26 double- spaced pages, including diagrams,
directly to Gergely Zaruba. (NOTE: The final paper will be 10 pages,
double-column, single-spaced.)
2. Do not submit the manuscript to more than one Minitrack Chair.
Papers should contain original material and not be previously
published, or currently submitted for consideration elsewhere.
3. Each paper must have a title page to include title of the paper,
full name of all authors, and complete addresses including
affiliation(s), telephone number(s), and e-mail address(es).
4. The first page of the manuscript should include only the title and
a 300-word abstract of the paper.
5. Individuals interested in refereeing papers should contact the
minitrack chairs directly.
6. If you have more questions or want to find out more about other
minitracks in the track, please go to the Software Technology Track
homepage.

Other Useful Information:
  Tracks at HICSS-36
    * Collaboration Systems; Co-Chairs: Jay Nunamaker; Email:
      [email-masked] and Robert O. Briggs; Email:
      [email-masked]
    * Complex Systems; Chair: Robert Thomas; Email: [email-masked]
    * Decision Tech. for Management; Chair: Dan Dolk; Email:
      [email-masked]
    * Digital Documents and Media; Chair: Michael Shepherd; Email:
      [email-masked]
    * Emerging Technologies; Co-Chairs Ralph H. Sprague; Email:
      [email-masked] and Hesham El-Rewini; Email:
      [email-masked]
    * Information Technology in Health Care; Chair: William Chismar;
      Email: [email-masked]
    * Internet & the Digital Economy; Co-Chairs: David King; Email:
      [email-masked] and Alan Dennis; Email: [email-masked]
    * Organizational Systems & Tech.; Chair: Hugh Watson; Email:
      [email-masked]
    * Software Technology; Chair: Hesham El-Rewini; Email:
      [email-masked]

  HICSS conferences are devoted to advances in the information,
  computer, and system sciences, and encompass developments in both
  theory and practice. Invited papers may be theoretical, conceptual,
  tutorial or descriptive in nature. Submissions undergo a peer
  referee process and those selected for presentation will be
  published in the Conference Proceedings. Submissions must not have
  been previously published. For the latest information visit the
  HICSS web site at:
  http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu

  Conference Administration
    * Ralph Sprague, Conference Chair
      Email: [email-masked]
    * Eileen Dennis, Track Administrator
      Email: [email-masked]
      Tel: 1-812-331-0551
      Fax: 1-812-331-0564
    * Sandra Laney, Conference Administrator
      Email: [email-masked]
      Tel: 1-808-956-3251
      Fax: 1-808-956-5759

  2003 HICSS-36 Conference Venue
    Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island of Hawaii
    425 Waikoloa Beach Drive
    Waikoloa, Hawaii 96738
    Tel: 1-808-886-1234
    Fax: 1-808-886-2900
    www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

--
***********************************************************
Gergely V. Zaruba Ph.D. C.S.                [email-masked]
Assistant Professor  Computer Science and Engineering Dept.
Center for Research in Wireless Mobility and Networking
The University of Texas at Arlington   phone:(817) 272 3602
***********************************************************

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet