Subject: [manet] CFP: MONET Journal ; Special Issue on WPANs

From: Gergely Zaruba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:06:04 -0600

Please feel free to distribute this CFP among friends and colleagues...

[Our apologies for duplicate transmissions]

            Announcement and Call for Papers

    Journal on Special Topics in Mobile Networking and
                    Applications (MONET)

                             on

       Advances in Research of Wireless Personal Area
          Networking and Bluetooth Enabled Networks

                http://crystal.uta.edu/~zaruba/monet.html

With Guest Editors:

  Dr. Gergely V. Zaruba
  Center for Research in Wireless Mobility and Networking
  Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE@UTA)
  The University of Texas at Arlington
  E-mail: [email-masked]
  Phone: +1 (817) 272-3602
  Fax: +1 (817) 272-3784

  Per Johansson
  Berkeley Wireless Center
  Ericsson Inc.
  E-mail: [email-masked]
  Phone: +1 (310) 592-9796
  Fax: +1 (510) 666-3999

Overview:
  Wireless personal area networks (WPANs) are short to very
  short-range (from a couple centimeters to a couple of
  meters) wireless networks that can be used to exchange
  information between devices in the reach of a person. WPANs
  can be used to replace cables between computers and their
  peripherals, to establish communities helping people do
  their everyday chores making them more productive, or to
  establish location aware services.

  The best example representing WPANs is the recent industry
  standard: Bluetooth, other examples include Spike (for real
  time gaming - proprietary technology), and in the broad
  sense HomeRF. The IEEE 802 committee has also realized the
  importance of short-range wireless networking and initiated
  the establishment of the IEEE 802.15 working group to
  standardize protocols and interfaces for wireless personal
  area networking.

  One key issue of the feasibility of WPANs is the cost of the
  chips enabling the actual wireless data transfer. Companies
  developing Bluetooth chips claim, that in the near future
  complex one-chip solutions of the Bluetooth specification
  will be available in the $5 price range. With this target
  price it is predicted that not only will most PDAs, phones,
  laptops include such technology but that the number of small
  WPAN enabled devices (e.g., pens, cameras, headsets, various
  sensors) will soon outnumber the computers on the internet.

  Another key issue is the inter-working of wireless technologies
  to create heterogeneous wireless networks. For instance, WPANs
  will enable an extension of the third generation (3G) cellular
  networks (i.e. UMTS and cdma2000) into devices without direct
  cellular access. Moreover, devices interconnected in a WPAN
  will able to utilize a combination of 3G access and WLAN access
  by selecting the access that is best for the moment. In such
  networks 3G, WLAN and WPAN technologies do not compete against
  each other but enable the user to select the best connectivity
  for his/her purposes.

  We expect that the availability of a cheap short-range wireless
  technology will further fuel research and development in what,
  where and most importantly how these technologies could be used
  for.

Scope:
  This special issue will concentrate on completed or ongoing
  research in the area of wireless personal area networking (not
  manufacturing). Areas of interest include but are not limited
  to research in:

  * Bluetooth technology
  * Bluetooth scatternet formation
  * IP over Bluetooth
  * Bluetooth performance evaluation
  * Using WPAN devices to create wireless ad hoc networks
  * Routing in Bluetooth scatternets
  * Security issues of WPANs
  * Mobility management and seamless integration of WPANs
  * Heterogeneous wireless infrastructures employing WPANs
  * 3G and WLAN multi-access networking via WPAN
  * Interoperability, interference and co-existence issues
  * WPANs vs. WLANs
  * Protocols tailored to WPANs
  * Caching in WPANs
  * Service discovery in WPANs
  * QoS provisioning in WPANs

Important Deadlines:
  Submission Deadline: April 15, 2002
  Acceptance Notification: June 30, 2002
  Final Manuscripts Due: July 30, 2002

Submission Guidelines:
  Authors should email an electronic Postscript or PDF copy
  of their papers to Gergely Záruba ([email-masked]) by
  April15th 2002. Submissions should be limited to 20 double
  spaced pages excluding figures, graphs, and illustrations.
  If e-mail submission is impossible then six (6) hardcopies
  of the paper should be sent (arriving prior to the due date)
  to:

  Dr. Gergely V. Zaruba
  Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE@UTA)
  The University of Texas at Arlington
  Box 19015
  416 Yates, 305 Nedderman Hall,
  Arlington, TX  76019-0015
  U.S.A.

--
***********************************************************
Gergely V. Zaruba Ph.D. C.S.                [email-masked]
Assistant Professor  Computer Science and Engineering Dept.
Center for Research in Wireless Mobility and Networking
The University of Texas at Arlington   phone:(817) 272 3602
***********************************************************

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet