Subject: [manet] Real emulation/testing (on a testbed) of ad hoc networks

From: Marwaha Shivanajay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:37:54 +0800

Dear all,

I've to emulate an ad hoc network using a few mobile devices. Kindly advice
on the following:

1. Which emulator/simulators have been used till now for this purpose and
how good they are?
2. How good is NS-2 for this purpose (emulating MANETs). Has anyone used it.
3. How many mobile devices should atleast be used.
4. What are the preffered wireless cards that are used. (like zircon, nokia,
lucent etc.) 
5. And what range should they be of.
6. Any experiences while emulating/testing (on a testbed) of MANETs. 

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Shivanajay Marwaha
Research Scholar,
Dept of Electrical and Comp Engg.
National University of Singapore.
www.nus.edu.sg

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Tao Lin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:31:43 -0500

We did simulations of wireless networks in a wired test bed. We build a
linux box with multiple interfaces as a dynamic switch. It can control the
connectivities between ports dynamically (it will not open any datagram,
just simply forward to one or more interfaces according to the local control
script.). By using it with some other end machines, we can build a star
topology network. The dynamic switch is the center node. Those leaves can
act as mobile hosts. The software for that swich is for Redhat 7.0 with
2.2.16 kernel. You can find it at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dynamic-switch.

Tao Lin
ECE Dept.
Virginia Tech.

---

From: "Tao Lin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:31:43 -0500

Tao Lin
ECE Dept.
Virginia Tech.