Subject: [manet] RE: Maximum MANET size

From: "Mullen, John P. (Contractor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:29:11 -0600

Hi Hai Wang,
 
I just came across this in Hass and Pearlman's description of Zone Routing
Protocol (ZRP).
 
"RWNs (Reconfigurable Wireless Networks) are distinguishable from other ad
hoc networks by rapidly changing network topologies, influenced by network
size and node mobility.  Typically, such networks have a large span and
contain hundreds to thousands of nodes." [Ad Hoc Networking, p. 222]. (my
emphasis).
 
I'd say "hundreds to thousands" qualifies as "large" in my book!
 
As to what a RWN is, as far as I can tell, it is simply a very large, very
dynamic MANET that has to be ready to go as soon as it is deployed.  If a
protocol works under those conditions, it will probably work anywhere and
anytime. (Though it could be overkill in simpler cases).
 
Incidentally, I think Zygmunt Hass is on this working group, so if you want
to learn more about ZRP, this is the place to ask.  (Also the place for
other MANET protocols, too :-)  
 
All I know is what I'm reading in books and papers.
 
John Mullen