Subject: [manet] AODV: Lifetime of reverse routes...

From: Erik Nordström <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Jun 2002 01:59:44 +0200

Hello

The AODV draft say (section 6.2) that the next hop along the reverse
path of a route should be updated when a data packet is forwarded (along
with the destination and next hop of the forward route). However, since
it is impossible to tell from the packet which node the packet is
received from, without keeping track of MAC-addresses, one must check
the reverse route entry for its next hop. 

The problem is that the draft does not mention anything about updating
the destination of the reverse route (or did I miss this?), so if the
communication is one way, the reverse route entry eventually is deleted
and the information about the reverse route's next hop is lost.
Therefore it is also impossible to update the lifetime of the next hop
along the reverse route when data packets along the forward route are
received.

The result is that the next hop along the reverse route also gets
deleted. This may hinder forwarding of RERRs and the source generating
the data is never informed when the route breaks.

The solution is of course to update the lifetime of the destination of
the reverse route too, so that the information about its next hop is
kept while the forward route is active.

Comments?

Best Regards

Erik Nordström

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet