Subject: [manet] on-demand routing for BSD?

From: David Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:16:03 -0500

Does any AODV implementation exist for *BSD?

It seems like a purely "userland" implementation of AODV, DSR, and
other varieties of on-demand ad hoc routing are impossible because they
require the kernel queue packets without nexthops for long enough that
route discovery can be attempted. BSD kernels, however, discard packets
immediately when they do not know a nexthop.

It seems like an ioctl for BSD routing sockets which would be useful to
on-demand routing implementors would command the kernel to briefly hold
onto a small number of packets whose nexthops are unknown. This way a
routing daemon has some time, after it reads an RTM_MISS message from
the routing socket, to produce routes for the queued packets on demand.

Would such an ioctl be useful to the MANET experimenter?  Has anyone
patched any existing *BSD with such an ioctl?

Dave

-- 
David Young             OJC Technologies
[email-masked]     Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet