Subject: [manet] security performance evaluation

From: Bin - Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:56:31 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

Is there any standard to evaluate the performance of a security
mechanism for wireless networks, such as:

What detection rate (or false alarm rate) is good / acceptable?
How much delay (or message overhead) imposed by a security mechanism is
acceptable?

Are there any numeric answers (e.g. 10% - 20% or 50 bytes etc.) to these
questions?

I have seen some papers that include security performance evaluation. But
I just don't know why they said - say, a detection rate of 90% was good?

Thanks a lot!

Bin

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Panos Papadimitratos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:25:40 -0400

Hi Bin,

It is important to clarify the goal of the security mechanism(s). Also,
what are its *strongly* MANET-specific aspects?

Note that security enhancements are not limited to "reactive" mechanisms. A
great deal of work on security addresses the issue of countering attacks,
rather than sustaining them until an alarm can be raised.

It may be tricky to use "performance" as a "proof" of security - in some
cases, one successful attack (over a long period of time) could be more
than enough... ;-)

A distinct issue is: How intrusive is a security mechanism? I.e., to what
extent it allows your protocol/application to operate undisturbed/without
restrictions/efficiently, given the provided security?

For example, issues/concerns regarding the performance evaluation of a
secure routing protocol are discussed in the presentation
http://lcawww.epfl.ch/buttyan/June12/presentations/Zygmunt_Haas.pdf
Preliminary results are included as well. Up-to-date (and even more
encouraging ;-) results are to be presented (poster) in the upcoming 1st
ACM WiSe workshop.

Cheers,

Panos

---

From: Panos Papadimitratos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:25:40 -0400

Hi Bin,

Cheers,

Panos