Subject: re: [manet] security performance evaluation

From: "Michael E. Locasto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:57:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

> Well, security is important.  However, to be effective, the key elements of
> the security system need to be kept secret.

Are you talking about cryptographic keys or the essential mechanism
behind the security system when you say 'key elements'?

If the latter, why should the security of the system should be based on
the secrecy of a mechanism? Obviously, in crypto, you shouldn't broadcast
your secret key [or make it easily guessable :-)], but the mechanism
itself need not be secret if it is strong enough.

I think the more people that look at and debug/analyze a mechanism, the
better, and working security in on the ground floor as an integral part of
the protocols will establish a higher level of confidence than attempting
to tie some other mechanism on top.

So how do we begin to standardize the approach to security in MANET?

Regards,
Michael Locasto

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:16:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Everyone,

> the security system need to be kept secret.

That's not entirely true ... see Public Key security systems. Also,
clearly, a security system should *not* rely on the secrecy of the
protocols themselves.

There has been a lot of work done already in the area of ad hoc networks 
security and there were even a number of workshops held on this topic - for
example, see:  http://lcawww.epfl.ch/buttyan/June12/index.html

In addition, there have been schemes proposed for specific protocols
(e.g., AODV), as well as works on general ad hoc security concerns.

Also, (to put in a plug for our work) see:

* L. Zhou and Z.J. Haas, "Securing Ad Hoc Networks," IEEE Network
  Magazine, vol. 13, no.6, November/December 1999 

* P.Papadimitratos and Z.J. Haas, "Secure Routing for Mobile Ad Hoc
  Networks," SCS Communication Networks and Distributed Systems Modeling
  and Simulation Conference (CNDS 2002), San Antonio, TX, January 27-31, 2002. 

Zygmunt.
===--======
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas                    http://people.ece.cornell.edu/haas 
Wireless Networks Laboratory		 http://wnl.ece.cornell.edu
School of Electrical Engineering         
Cornell University			 tel: +1-607-255-3454
323 Frank Rhodes Hall			 fax: +1-607-255-9072
Ithaca, NY 14853			 e-mail: [email-masked]
U.S.A                             
	WNL web page: http://wnl.ece.cornell.edu
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:16:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Everyone,

Zygmunt.
===--======

---

From: Saad Biaz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:52:36 -0500 (CDT)

> example, see:  http://lcawww.epfl.ch/buttyan/June12/index.html

There will also be a workshop held in conjunction with ACM Mobicom 2002
in Atlanta on September 28th:

ACM Workshop on Wireless Security (WiSe)

http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~nhv/wise/

There will certainly be a lot of discussions regarding security issues for
MANET routing protocols. In most of the current MANET drafts, there have
not been much dedicated sections to security.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Saad Biaz, Ph.D., Assistant Prof.     Voice: (334) 844 6307
114 Dunstan Hall Auburn University    Fax  : (334) 844 6329
Auburn, AL 36849-5347, USA            http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~sbiaz
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Saad Biaz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:52:36 -0500 (CDT)

---

From: Gildas Avoine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:39:32 +0200

>http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~nhv/wise/
Another link is http://lasecwww.epfl.ch/terminodes/ which is the web 
site of the sub-project "Security and cryptographic issues", part of the 
project  "Mobile Information and Communication Systems" 
(http://www.terminodes.org/).

Regards,

Gildas Avoine.

---

From: Gildas Avoine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:39:32 +0200

Regards,

Gildas Avoine.