Subject: [manet] scalability

From: "Dmitri D. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:28:49 -0500 (CDT)

Hello:

I have read several papers on routing in ad hoc networks (i.e., manet
and sensor). The term scalability is often used. Does the manet group
have some specific idea of what is meant by scalable? I have a few
questions here.

1. Are we saying an algorithm is scalable depending on its performance
   (e.g., packet delivery ratio) versus network density? traffic load?
   control overhead? or some combination of performance measures?

2. What is considered a small, medium, or large network?

These questions are motivated by some simulations done using
glomosim. For example, for various network sizes, mobility
patterns and traffic loads, protocol A and protocol B achieve very
very similar throughput, but protocol A produces significantly more
control packets.

3. While, we may conclude that protocol B uses control packet more
efficienty (number of packet deliver per control packet), can we say
that is more scalable since the performance of both protocols is the
same (at least from an external view)? That is, both protocols
deliver the same number of packets, but one must work harder to do
so, which may impact battery usage.

Thanks for your time and thoughtful responses.

==================================================
Dmitri D. Perkins, Assistant Professor
The Center for Advanced Computer Studies
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
P.O. Box 44330, Lafayette, LA 70503

office: (337)482-6732	fax: (337)482-5791
http://www.cacs.louisiana.edu/~perkins
==================================================

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet