Subject: RE: [manet] RE: [Aodvimpl] Reaction of AODV by receiving more rou te replies!!

From: "Mullen, John P. (Contractor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:12:08 -0600

Hi Sharma,

The thing to remember is that a stored route with a lower sequence number is
based on older information.  Even if it has a smaller number of hops than
one with a higher sequence number, it needs to be discarded in favor of the
more recent one because the implication is that the stored route no longer
exists.  

A node will not update its table if it receives a route with an older
sequence number, regardless of any other considerations.  Again, the older
number implies that the information is outdated and no longer valid.  Any
anticipated improvement in the routing would simply be an illusion.

The other considerations come into play only if the new route has exactly
the same sequence number as that of the stored route.  Now, both routes are
based on current information and, of course, the better one would be chosen.

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----
From: Sourabh Sharma [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 12:43 PM
To: Ian Chakeres
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [manet] RE: [Aodvimpl] Reaction of AODV by receiving more
route replies!!

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Ian Chakeres wrote:

> A higher destination sequence number is always preferred, since it is an
> indicator of the freshness of the information contained.

  	 should a node update its  route just because its  getting a fresher

  route now? What if this newer route actually has more no. of hops
  or it already has lot of traffic on it, or is unidirectional?
 
> 
> In the draft it says that you will not update a route under many
> conditions.  One of those conditions is if a nodes sequence number (as
> indicated in the control message) is lower than the sequence number
> stored in the routing table.

  I think there should be a few more factors ( hop count,bandwidth
available, etc ) which a node should take in to consideration
 before updating its routing table.

  I am sure AODV-implementors must've give this a thought.
 If not, let me know, I'll study in to this matter then.
 Reagrds,
 Sourabh Sharma
 Centre for Internet Research
 National University of Singapore
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet