Subject: [manet] route aggregation

From: "John Paul O'Grady" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:39:22 +0100

Hello

I have a question in regard to ip addresses. In the fixed internet
there is a thing called classless inter domain routing. Here an ip
address is directly related to the nodes position in relation to the
rest of the network. This allows for route aggregation of routing
updates. 

If this was applied to an ad hoc network, it would probably require
the ip address of an node to change as it moves around which in turn
would result in significant updating of routing tables.

Is it therefore possible to have route aggregation in an ad hoc
environment?

john paul o gady
cit
ireland

-------------------Legal  Disclaimer---------------------------------------

The above electronic mail transmission is confidential and intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Its contents may be protected by legal and/or professional privilege. Should it be received by you in error please contact the sender at the above quoted email address. Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. The Institute does not guarantee the security of any information electronically transmitted and is not liable if the information contained in this communication is not a proper and complete record of the message as transmitted by the sender nor for any delay in its receipt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Phil Neumiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:15:43 -0400

Hi Paul,    

pdn>Ah, a subject near and dear to my heart.  I am looking at using OSPF to handle 
pdn>backbone routing and put FAs into OSPF areas.  The areas can support CIDR
pdn>or classful addresses.  More on that later...

-----Original Message-----
From: John Paul O'Grady [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 10:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] route aggregation

Hello

pdn>Not really any different than if the address stays the same.
pdn>A logical choice for a fixed address to route on in the MANET
pdn>is the mobile IP home address right?  If that's what you want
pdn>to do.  That gives the node global reachability.  The only trick
pdn>is how do you advertise FAs (in MIPv4) etc without incurring
pdn>some extra flooding overhead?  Also, your FA may be an
pdn>OSPF, RIP, or some other IGP on the backside and you need
pdn>to ask yourself if you want to populate it with the mobile nodes
pdn>unicast addresses or simply use local addresses under a particular
pdn>set of masks in that network.  I think the latter makes more sense.

pdn>Not only is it possible, it is likely to be required. A flat
pdn>address space will not scale very well.  I don't see ANY reason
pdn>why MANET protocols can not support classles addresses.  They
pdn>need to be able to propagate network addresses with variable
pdn>subnet masks in addition to unicasts addresses as they all
pdn>do now.  An alternative may be to simply have the MANET punt
pdn>all unknown addresses to a gateway that has an IGP running
pdn>on it (provided the MANET node can discover this beast (more
pdn>flooding :-( )).

pdn>Best regards,
pdn>Phil

--
Phillip D. Neumiller ([email-masked])
My PGP key can be imported from the following URL: http://pgpkeys.mit.edu
BTW:  It is undecidable whether an arithmetical formula is true!
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Mullen, John P. (Contractor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:11:17 -0600

Hi John,

The answer is yes and no.

:-)

There are clustering schemes in which nodes are given such changeable IP
addresses.  In these, the hierarchal nature of the IP is an aid to routing.
A forwarding scheme is included to ensure that messages addressed to a
node's former IP address are forwarded to the new one.  Details vary by
scheme.

Depending on the nature of the network, this sort of thing may or may not be
helpful.  The basic tradeoff is the increased efficiency due to route
aggregation vs. the increased amount of overhead.  In the most general form
of an ad-hoc network where nodes frequently join, leave, and move around,
such a scheme is not likely to pay off.  However, in some applications,
there is enough stability to make it worthwhile.

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----
From: John Paul O'Grady [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 8:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] route aggregation

Hello

john paul o gady
cit
ireland

-------------------Legal  Disclaimer---------------------------------------

The above electronic mail transmission is confidential and intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed. Its contents may be protected by legal
and/or professional privilege. Should it be received by you in error please
contact the sender at the above quoted email address. Any unauthorised form
of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. The Institute does
not guarantee the security of any information electronically transmitted and
is not liable if the information contained in this communication is not a
proper and complete record of the message as transmitted by the sender nor
for any delay in its receipt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------