Subject: [manet] AODV RREP timeout for expanding ring search changed

From: "Gerben A. Kuijpers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:39:15 +0200

Hello everyone,

The value of the RREP timeout used in expanding ring searches seems to have 
changed between AODV draft-10 and draft-11. In v10 the timeout is defined as 
follows:

2 * TTL * NODE_TRAVERSAL_TIME  (section 6.4)

while in v11 it is set to NET_TRAVERSAL_TIME, regardless of the TTL, see section 
5.4:

"...In an expanding ring search, the originating node initially uses a TTL = 
TTL_START in the RREQ packet IP header and sets the timeout for receiving a RREP 
to NET_TRAVERSAL_TIME milliseconds..."

A few lines below that:

"...Each time, the timeout for receiving a RREP is calculated as described in 
Section 5.4..."

But as far as I can see, no calculation for the RREP timeout is given in section 
5.4, except maybe for RREP timeout = NET_TRAVERSAL_TIME.

Why did the value of the RREP timeout used in expanding ring searches change in 
draft-11? The old definition seems more appropriate to me, leading to quicker 
route discovery.

regards,

/Gerben Kuijpers

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet