Subject: Re: [manet] route aggregation

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:01:33 -0400

At 03:39 PM 9/26/2002 +0100, John Paul O'Grady wrote:
>Hello
>
>I have a question in regard to ip addresses. In the fixed internet
>there is a thing called classless inter domain routing. Here an ip
>address is directly related to the nodes position in relation to the
>rest of the network. This allows for route aggregation of routing
>updates. 
>
>If this was applied to an ad hoc network, it would probably require
>the ip address of an node to change as it moves around which in turn
>would result in significant updating of routing tables.
>
>Is it therefore possible to have route aggregation in an ad hoc
>environment?

Its done all the time.  A typical application is using a manet for a mobile stub network area.  The area border router can use aggregation to advertise the mobile area to external networks.  I run such a network frequently and even have nodes entering autoconfigure within the aggregated address space.

Also, manets should also be able to handle prefix advertisements internally as well for various purposes. 

-joe

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:01:33 -0400

-joe