Subject: [manet] Multicast Protocol for Ad Hoc Wireless Networks

From: "Anshul Gupta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 06:43:37 +1000

Hi all,

I was searching for efficient and reliable multicast protocol for ad hoc
wireless networks on google but I was amazed to see how many are there.

Which is the most reliable and efficient protocol ? Does anybody has
experience with any of them ?

Cheers,
Anshul Gupta

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Einar Vollset" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:54:35 +0100

Hi Anshul.

As you mention, there are several multicast protocols available,
and when it comes down to it, which one you choose is often determined
by which operating environment you are targeting and various other
considerations.

That being said, there are several studies which look at the performance
(in terms of messaging overhead) and reliability (in terms of packet
delivery ratio). 

Here is one done at UCLA. I think it's fairly comprehensive except it
doesn't cover MAODV:

A Performance Comparison Study of Ad Hoc Wireless Multicast Protocols:
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cache/papers/cs/12975/http:zSzzSzwww.ieee-inf
ocom.orgzSz2000zSzpaperszSz361.pdf/lee00performance.pdf
(cached citeseer copies)

As for actual implementations, we implemented a Java, application-level
version of ODMRP (On Demand Multicast Routing Protocol), which has
performed well for our purposes.
If you are interested, the following page describes it in a bit more
detail (also allows you to download it):
http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/people/einar.vollset/home.formal/jomp.html

Hope that helps,

Einar

---------------------------
Einar Vollset
PhD Student
School of Computing Science
University of Newcastle
http://vollset.org
----------------------------

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Anshul Gupta
> Sent: 24 October 2002 21:44
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [manet] Multicast Protocol for Ad Hoc Wireless Networks
> 
> Hi all,
>

---

From: "Einar Vollset" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:54:35 +0100

Hi Anshul.

Hope that helps,

Einar