Subject: [manet] How to increase packet delivery ratio in MANETs

From: "Marwaha Shivanajay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:55:58 +0800

Dear All,
How would we select routes in MANETs if we want to ensure/meet high
packet delivery ratio (PDR) requirements. Are there any papers which
deal with this. Also are there any papers/mechanisms developed for
achieving higher packet delivery ratio for certain class of traffic
which have specific packet loss requirements. Can we compromise delay to
ensure high PDR in MANETs??

(In my view, we need to know the stability of the links in a route to
ensure high packet delivery ratio. For this we may use eiter "HELLO
Messages" or "GPS information". Using HELLO messages has the
disadvantage of more power & bandwidth consumption and NS-2 results have
shown that HELLO messages (when used with AODV) decrease the PDR in the
first place by 5-10% compared to AODV with link layer notification. On
the other hand, GPS assisted routing has constraints working indoors.)

So how to ensure/meet packet loss requirement (atleast for some classes
of traffic) ?

Regards,
Shivanajay Marwaha
***********************
Research Scholar
ECE Dept, NUS,
10 Kent Ridge Crescent,
Singapore 119260
***********************

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
An expert is someone who can tell you exactly afterwards, why his
prognosis was not correct.
Winston Churchill
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Philippe Jacquet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:46:44 +0200

Is not the PDR discrepancy between AODV with link layer notification and
AODV with HELLO due to
the fact that with the latter one has to wait for a periodic hello to detect
link failure and meanwhile packets are lost?

Philippe

---

From: "Philippe Jacquet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:46:44 +0200

Philippe