Subject: [manet] Basic routing protocol of ad hoc networks

From: "moez gadri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:4:14 +0100

Hi,
I want to know what are the basic routing protocols used in ad hoc
networks.
thanks.

____________________________________________________________________
- http://www.WebMailSPro.com - >> 
VOTRE service d'email sans pub avec VOTRE nom de domaine

---

From: "Efrayim Metin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:17:45 +0200

Check http://www.google.com and type in Ad-hoc routing Protocols.
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: moez gadri 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 4:00 PM
  Subject: [manet] Basic routing protocol of ad hoc networks

Hi,

---

From: "Efrayim Metin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:17:45 +0200

----- Original Message ----- 
  From: moez gadri 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 4:00 PM
  Subject: [manet] Basic routing protocol of ad hoc networks

Hi,

---

From: Sachin Ganu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:33:23 -0400 (EDT)

HI Moez,

The routing protocols in ad-hoc networks fall under the following
categories

1) Proactive protocols
OLSR, DSDV etc

2) Reactive protocols

E.g Dynamic Source Routing, AODV

There are some versions that do power aware routing, or location aware
routing..

You may want to look at an useful presentation/tutorial on various routing
mechanisms by Dr. Vaidya at

http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~nhv/presentations.html

Thanks
Sachin

> I want to know what are the basic routing protocols used in ad hoc

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Sachin Ganu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:33:23 -0400 (EDT)

HI Moez,

1) Proactive protocols
OLSR, DSDV etc

2) Reactive protocols

Thanks
Sachin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:01:26 -0400 (EDT)

And then, of course, are also *hybrid* routing protcols, such as
Fisheye State Routing (FSR), Zone Routing Protocol (ZRP),
Zone-Based Hierarchical link State (ZHLS), etc.

Zygmunt.
==-=-====
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas                    http://people.ece.cornell.edu/haas 
Wireless Networks Laboratory		 http://wnl.ece.cornell.edu
School of Electrical Engineering         
Cornell University			 tel: +1-607-255-3454
323 Frank Rhodes Hall			 fax: +1-607-255-9072
Ithaca, NY 14853			 e-mail: [email-masked]
U.S.A                             
	WNL web page: http://wnl.ece.cornell.edu
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:01:26 -0400 (EDT)

Zygmunt.
==-=-====

---

From: "A. Bruce McDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:12:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Efrayim;

In all honesty there is no such thing as the topic remains widely
contested in many dimensions.  The answer in some sense depends on your
precise definition of ad hoc network, which, ought to imply your expected
range of operational scenarios. Enough vague narratives...

At the risk of sounding like I am preaching:
Routing in ad hoc networks remains a wide open topic largely because there
is so much that remains (a) not well understood; and, (b) not well
integrated across disciplines---ergo, the ad hoc folks need to incorporate
the massive knowledge of the wireless comms folks into their (our)
approaches in a rigorous manner...

I suggest that you scan the literature---recent Proc from Infocom,
Mobicom, MobiHoc, etc., will reveal a wide range of approaches and
problems.  Journals such as IEEE Trans. on Wireless, IEEE J-Sac, Wireless
Networks etc., will also show the range of approaches and where we are. In
short---there is no short answer in a practical sense.  From a
conceptual/tactical perspective there are indeed, however, some basic
strategies that have been receiving a great deal of attention---these
include the 'reactive or on-demand' route search approaches, 'geographic
or location' based approaches (which are typically reactive but need not
be), 'minimal energy' approaches, hybrid table-driven/on-demand,
cluster-based approaches, 'virtual' backbone approaches, stable-path
approaches etc.... These are not neccessarily mutually exclusive.

Look at the literature :-)

Best regards,

--bruce

--------------------------------------------------------
A. Bruce McDonald	f:617.373.8970
Assistant Prof.		v:617.373.3028
ECE Dept., 417 Dana     [email-masked]
360 Huntington Ave.     www.ece.neu.edu/faculty/mcdonald
Northeastern University
Boston, MA 02115
--------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "A. Bruce McDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:12:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Efrayim;

Best regards,

--bruce