Subject: [manet] wireless interface not brought up in a Gateway Solo1450 SE laptop

From: Edward Hua <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:50:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

    I have two Gateway laptops. One is Solo 1400 SE (node01), and the 
other Solo 1450 SE (node02). Both have RedHat 7.3 installed (with Linux 
kernel version 2.4.18-3). I also have two Cisco Aironet 350 wireless PC 
cards and use them on the laptops.

    I'm working on integrating a routing algorithm, Zone Routing Protocol 
(ZRP), into a testbed called Ad hoc Performance Evaluation (APE). APE is 
nothing but a stripped-down version of the Linux kernl, including only the 
essential commands and some Wireless Tools (iwconfig, etc.). Of course, 
APE-related files are bundled into the kernel, and the whole thing is 
called an APE distribution package. The idea is that once a distribution 
package is created  (it's nothing but a .zip file) in one laptop, it can 
be transferred to the other laptops and installed there. Then these 
laptops can be used to form an ad hoc network, and you can run tests using 
scripts written in APE to gather and analyze the data. 

     My problems are the following. Following the APE developers' manual, 
I was able to create the APE distrubtion package on node01. I then 
transferred it to node02, and installed it there. Then, on both machines, 
I booted into the APE mode (which is essentially Run Level 3 in the 
Linux mode). I then ran an APE-provided script, which would bring up the 
PCMCIAinterface (with the Aironet card), allow you to choose a routing 
algorithm you wish to test (ZRP, OLSR, AODV, etc.), and initiate the test. 
Anyways, what happened after I ran this script is that only node01 brought 
up the PCMCIA interface (eth0), whereas node02, with all the identical 
APE-related system files as node01 uses, did not. 

      I then took a different approach: I created the APE distribution 
package on node02 and transferred it to node01 to be installed. Yet this 
time, result was the same: node01 could bring up the wireless PC card 
interface with no problem, and node02 was still unable to do that.

      I did a number of trials, and installed and re-installed Linux on 
both laptops a couple times, but couldn't find out what was wrong with 
node02 not being able to bring up the wireless interface. It must be said, 
however, that in the Linux mode in both machines, the wireless interface 
was brought up normally without a problem. 

      One error message that I got in the APE mode on node02 that is 
related to my problem is:

      cs: socket 0 timed out during rest

      Further investigation shows that this error message comes up when a 
module called ds (i.e., is installed (insmod ds, which is done 
by the APE script). But I don't know anything about ds, and am not 
familiar with the kernel source code either. Does anybody have an idea as 
to what might have caused my problem of not getting the wireless interface 
up in the Solo 1450SE in the APE mode?

      Thanks.

-Ed

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Ankur Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:24:37 +0800

Hi,

Does anybody working on Directional Antennas with Multipath Routing? Please
tell me who all are currently working on this and where I can find some good
papers.

Also, is there any actual device like Lucent's Orinoco card which has
directional antenna and the modified MAC?

Regards
Ankur

~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...
ANKUR JAIN

Institute for Communications Research (ICR)
(formerly Centre for Wireless Communications)
20 Science Park Road, #02-34/37,
TeleTech Park, Singapore Science Park II,
SINGAPORE 117674

Website: http://www.icr.a-star.edu.sg

Phone #    68709266
Email  #     [email-masked]
                 [email-masked]
                 [email-masked]
~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...

---

From: "Ankur Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:24:37 +0800

Hi,

Regards
Ankur

Phone #    68709266