Subject: [manet] controlling virtual carrier sense in 802.11 radios

From: David Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 01:10:04 -0600

If researchers were able to exercise fine-grained control over the
virtual carrier sense in 802.11 radios, that would make possible a lot
of interesting experiments in arbitrating media access.

Just for an example of a desirable control, say it is possible to
upload to an 802.11b radio, at regular intervals of time, a bitmap
which describes the time slots where the radio should regard the virtual
carrier sense as "positive," regardless of what transpires on the medium.
Then certain sophisticated MAC algorithms can be implemented in the
radio's host computer, and the results transformed into a virtual carrier
sense bitmap which is uploaded to the radio. Now the radio can transmit
at its full speed under influence of the virtual carrier sense uploaded
by the host.

If consumer radios allowed this sort of control over the virtual carrier
sense, would that make them more desirable for research?

Dave

-- 
David Young             OJC Technologies
[email-masked]      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet