Subject: [manet] Testing DSR over ethernet

From: Pradeepkumar Mani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:59:32 -0600 (CST)

hi

My apologies if you get multiple copies of this email. My friend, who is
not a member of the group, tried to send the same email. Since he was not
successful, I am sending it now. Sorry about that!!

we are trying to run DSR (Alex Song's implementation) over an ethernet
LAN. we are trying to set up a network (with eight nodes) as follows:
node 1 is within the transmission range of nodes 2 and 3 but not other
nodes. if node 1 has to reach node 4, node 1 will broadcast a RREQ
(route request)  and only nodes 2 and 3 have to send RREPs (route
replies) and not the other  nodes (including node 4 though they are all
in the same broadcast medium - the  wired ethernet). this is just to
setup a multihop network.

at node 4, we tried to block broadcast packets from node 1 using
iptables so  that node 4 would not reply to RREQs from node 1.
when nodes 1 and 4 were the only ones up, this seemed to work (ie. we
were not  able to ping node 4 from node 1). then we up- ed node 3 (which
is in the  "transmission range" of both node 1 and node 4. we were able
to ping node 3  from both node 1 and node 4). but we still we were
unable to ping node 4 from  node 1 (we were expecting node 3, being
within the "transmission range" of  node 4 to aid node 1 in reaching
node 4. but this didnt happen).

could anyone help us in figuring out what the problem is ? Any suggestions
are most welcome (we have setting up VLANs in mind instead of using
iptables, but would like to explore other options before disturbing the
current network setup)

we have tried to be as clear as possible in stating our problem.

thanks in advance!
regards
girish & pradeep.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet