Subject: [manet] External Network support for DSR

From: Kartik Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:16:21 -0500

In the IETF Draft "draft-ietf-manet-dsr_07", "The Dynamic Source Routing 
Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (DSR)",  in section "4.1 Route Cache", 
it states that "It is possible to interface a DSR network with other 
networks, external to this DSR network. Such external networks may, for 
example, be the Internet, or may be other ad hoc networks routed with a 
routing protocol other than DSR. Such external networks may also be other 
DSR networks that are treated as external networks in order to improve 
scalability. The complete handling of such external networks is beyond the 
scope of this document"

Does anyone know which document has this extension of connecting external 
networks to a DSR network?

Thanks,
Kartik

---

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:39:46 -0500

Not sure what you're asking.

All that quote means is that the MANET can be connected to an edge router, or "border gateway," which ties the MANET to any other network. This router may be announced, for example, using ICMP Router Discovery protocol (RFC 1256). Or some other means may be used, such as static configuration (static config doesn't seem the best idea for a MANET).

Once you've reached this router, the network on the other side can be anything you like: the wired Internet, with perhaps OSPF, another MANET with some other routing protocol, or even another MANET with DSR. Whatever it is on the other side, that border router isolates that other network from this DSR MANET we're talking about here.

Bert

-----Original Message-----
From: Kartik Rao [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 3:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] External Network support for DSR

In the IETF Draft "draft-ietf-manet-dsr_07", "The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (DSR)",  in section "4.1 Route Cache", it states that "It is possible to interface a DSR network with other networks, external to this DSR network. Such external networks may, for example, be the Internet, or may be other ad hoc networks routed with a routing protocol other than DSR. Such external networks may also be other DSR networks that are treated as external networks in order to improve scalability. The complete handling of such external networks is beyond the scope of this document"

Does anyone know which document has this extension of connecting external networks to a DSR network?

Thanks,
Kartik 
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet