Subject: RE: [manet] External Network support for DSR

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:39:46 -0500

Not sure what you're asking.

All that quote means is that the MANET can be connected to an edge router, or "border gateway," which ties the MANET to any other network. This router may be announced, for example, using ICMP Router Discovery protocol (RFC 1256). Or some other means may be used, such as static configuration (static config doesn't seem the best idea for a MANET).

Once you've reached this router, the network on the other side can be anything you like: the wired Internet, with perhaps OSPF, another MANET with some other routing protocol, or even another MANET with DSR. Whatever it is on the other side, that border router isolates that other network from this DSR MANET we're talking about here.

Bert

-----Original Message-----
From: Kartik Rao [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 3:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] External Network support for DSR

In the IETF Draft "draft-ietf-manet-dsr_07", "The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (DSR)",  in section "4.1 Route Cache", it states that "It is possible to interface a DSR network with other networks, external to this DSR network. Such external networks may, for example, be the Internet, or may be other ad hoc networks routed with a routing protocol other than DSR. Such external networks may also be other DSR networks that are treated as external networks in order to improve scalability. The complete handling of such external networks is beyond the scope of this document"

Does anyone know which document has this extension of connecting external networks to a DSR network?

Thanks,
Kartik 
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Sourabh Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:14:55 +0800 (GMT-8)

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Once you've reached this router, the network on the other side can be 
>anything you like: the wired Internet, with perhaps OSPF, another MANET 
>with some other routing protocol, or even another MANET with DSR. 
>Whatever it is on the other side, that border router isolates that 
>other network from this DSR MANET we're talking about here.
> 

  Hi all,
         just some food for thought...
             Here above,we are talking about different manets, where the
difference basically lies in the routing protocol ,addressibng scheme,
 etc.- basically connecting to IP Networks.
  What I was wondering was, has any body tried connecting
 2 manets with different MAC layers? which may or may no be running the
 same routing protocol.
     Like connecting a Bluetooth manet  with a 802.11 manet?
 Is there any paper which focuses on this ?

 Regards,
 Sourabh.

> Does anyone know which document has this extension of connecting external networks to a DSR network?

--------------------------------------------------
There is an answer to everything in this world.
   The only question which remains to be answered
     IS whether we know the answers or not.

---

From: Sourabh Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:14:55 +0800 (GMT-8)

Hi all,

 Regards,
 Sourabh.

---

From: David Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 01:25:16 -0600

Typically routing information is shared by one protocol with another
through the routing information block (RIB) in a routing daemon such as
GateD or Zebra.  I think that in open source, Zebra took the torch from
GateD, but you can license a high-quality commercial GateD.

Besides redistributing routes from one protocol to another, a routing
daemon typically contains an abstract API for controlling the operating
system's routing table, so you get some portability "for free" when you
implement for a routing daemon.

I am anxious to see ad hoc routing protocols brought to Zebra, myself.

Dave

-- 
David Young             OJC Technologies
[email-masked]      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: David Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 01:25:16 -0600

Dave

---

From: Rene Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:56:42 +0100

Hi all,

I am subsribed to this list since a few days, so please excuse if this
has already been discussed.

Sourabh Sharma wrote:
|          just some food for thought...
|              Here above,we are talking about different manets, where the
| difference basically lies in the routing protocol ,addressibng scheme,
|  etc.- basically connecting to IP Networks.
|   What I was wondering was, has any body tried connecting
|  2 manets with different MAC layers? which may or may no be running the
|  same routing protocol.
|      Like connecting a Bluetooth manet  with a 802.11 manet?
|  Is there any paper which focuses on this ?
As far as I understood some protocols (e.g. OLSR, please correct me if I
am wrong), they should be independent of the MAC layer. Therefore it
should in principle be possible to have a hybrid manet with the same
protocol and without "edge" routers (problems could arise when the
different MAC types have very different characteristics). E.g. when some
devices have Bluetooth as well as 802.11, both types of links can be
used between devices within the same manet.

Of course, this doesn't anser your question if anybody has already tried
such hybrid networks.

best regards,
Rene Mayrhofer

---

From: Rene Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:56:42 +0100

Hi all,

Sourabh Sharma wrote:

best regards,
Rene Mayrhofer