Subject: [manet] Call for Papers for IEEE J-SAC Issue on Variable Topology QoS

From: Kenneth Brayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:43:25 -0400

To all Members of the MANET and NS-USERS Groups

The following is a call for papers for the IEEE Journal on Selected
Areas on Communications for Extended Abstracts for papers on Quality of
Service Delivery in Variable Topology Networks. Please feel free to
further distribute this call.

Call for Papers
Quality of Service Delivery in Variable Topology Networks
IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications

Topics of keen interest today in networking technology include methods
of delivering services over variable topology networks, such as variable
point-to-point and Ad Hoc networks, in which the user is mobile and
inter-router connections are time varying.  We seek here to gather a
body of work that reports the state of the art and practice in
assessment of the quality of service (QoS) that can be delivered over
such networks.  We specifically seek contributions that will be of value
to system architects in selecting collections of technologies and
methodologies that meet their needs and establish standards for user
responsive system performance.

We are especially seeking contributions that report QoS delivery in
clearly defined network settings under clearly defined metrics for a
specific service or collection of services.  Such contributions might
focus specifically on comparing alternative technological or
methodological approaches to delivering services with quality guarantee,
such as bi-directional versus unidirectional connectivity, source-based
versus dynamic routing, proactive versus reactive organization,
transmission control at the transport layer versus the MAC layer,
retransmission versus forward error correction and the relation of these
to timeliness and priority.  Variable topology peer-to-peer and Ad Hoc
constructions in both flat and hierarchical environments are of
interest.    

Alternatively, a contribution might focus on the performance that can be
achieved using a single technological and methodological approach, but
varying key factors of interest, such as the number of end systems,
end-system density, or the delivery physical environment.  Throughout,
the central theme should be service delivery, and the metrics used
should enable potential users to clearly see patterns of performance in
one or more of the following dimensions: cost, complexity, timely
delivery, traffic handling capacity, or the number of end systems the
system can handle.  Methods for achieving quality of service under
conditions of varying topology, and new concepts for providing quality
of service are likewise of interest.

In this context, the topics for this issue include:

Variable Point-to-Point and Ad Hoc Routing
  o New methodologies
  o Bi-directional vs. unidirectional connectivity
  o Source based vs. dynamic routing
  o Unicast vs. multicast, content-based routing

Variable Topology Network Architectures and Reconfiguration Techniques
  o Flat vs. hierarchical organizations
  o Proactive vs. reactive reconfiguration
  o MAC vs. upper layer implementations
  o Self-configurations
  o Distributed algorithms (group and resource management)

Quality of Service (QoS) Delivery
  o Methodologies for timely message delivery
  o Providing predictable performance
  o Error coding for achieving Quality of Service
  o Methods of measuring QoS in operational networks

Performance Analysis
  o Comparative study (analysis, simulation, emulation and/or implementation)
  o New analytical approaches
  o Definition of performance metrics
  o Optimizing the system performance (capacity, response time,
throughput, etc.)

Testbed and Applications
  o Testbed descriptions and objectives
  o Experimental results based on testbeds
  o Unique applications of testbeds

Standards
  o Definition of common and desirable features of standards
  o Matching current and emerging standards to applications
  o Applications requirements versus features provided by standards

Original, unpublished contributions and invited articles will be
considered for the issue. The call for papers is for extended abstracts
that propose development of papers to meet the goals of the issue.  The
proposal shall comprehensively describe the area of the paper relative
to the areas of interest of the call.  These extended abstracts will be
reviewed and the editors will invite final papers, which will be
refereed.  Extended abstracts not to exceed 5 pages in  .pdf format
should be submitted by April 1, 2003. To submit your extended abstract
1) go to http://edas.cs.columbia.edu, 2) establish an account, 3)
receive an e-mail from edas with your password, 4) login to the edas
system, 5) select the J-SAC issue, 6) click on view, 7) click on submit
paper and follow the instructions. Upon invitation papers should be
submitted in .pdf format.  Papers should follow the IEEE J-SAC
manuscript format described in the Information for Authors of the
Journal which can be found at
http://www.argreenhouse.com/society/J-SAC/Guidelines/info.html or in any
issue, and be no longer than 25 double-spaced pages, excluding
illustrations and graphs.

The name of the submitted file should be aaaaJsacVtn.pdf , where aaaa is
the first four letters of the authors surname.  If an author submits
more than one paper then aaaa shall be replaced by aaaan where n is a
sequential paper number (e.g. 1, 2, ...).  All submissions must be
electronically generated. Scanned documents are not acceptable.

All papers will be peer reviewed and revisions of acceptable papers may
be required prior to publication. 

The following timetable will apply:

Extended Abstract Submission Deadline: April 1, 2003
Acceptance Notification of Proposed Paper: June 1, 2003
Submission of Invited Papers: October 1, 2003
Acceptance Notification: February 1, 2004
Final Revised Manuscript Due: March 1, 2004
Publication of issue: 3rd-4th Quarter 2004

Guest Editors:
Nicola Blefari-Melazzi, University of Perugia, Italy , [email-masked]
Kenneth Brayer, The MITRE Corporation, USA, [email-masked]
John N. Daigle, The University of Mississippi, USA, [email-masked]
Jean-Yves Le Boudec, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne,
Switzerland, [email-masked]
Bo Li, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, China, [email-masked]

-- 
Kenneth Brayer
M/S B312
The MITRE Corporation
202 Burlington Road
Bedford, MA 01730

e-mail: [email-masked]
tele: 781-271-5254
fax: 781-271-2841

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet