Subject: [manet] key management

From: stream stream <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:39:17 +0100 (CET)

hi everybody,

i've read most article concerning key management in ad hoc networks. most of them eliminate the centralised solution saying that it is not suitable for this type of network. i would be very pleased if anyone sends me the reasons.

any help would be appreciated

regards 

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Móviles
Personaliza tu móvil con tu logo y melodía favorito

---

From: Seung Yi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:24:06 -0600

stream stream wrote:
> hi everybody,
> 
> i've read most article concerning key management in ad hoc networks. 
> most of them eliminate the centralised solution saying that it is not 
> suitable for this type of network. i would be very pleased if anyone 
> sends me the reasons.
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *Yahoo! Móviles*
> <http://es.rd.yahoo.com/mail_es/tagline/moviles/*http://es.mobile.yahoo.com/> 
> 

Mainly three reasons I can think of:

1. Security - The security of the centralized key management solutions
   depend on a single node. Once that node is compromised, whole scheme
   collapses. Also the central makes a too tempting target for adversaries. :)
2. Fault Tolerance - Same argument holds for fault tolerance. If the
   central node fails, whole system fails.
3. Availability - In ad hoc networks, connectivity to any one node is
   not always guaranteed. Even when the central node is up and operating
   normally, there may be simply many nodes that cannot contact the
   central nodes due to network partition, inteference, congestion, etc.

Hmm. What did I miss?

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Stefan Schlott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:08:30 +0100

> 1. Security
> 2. Fault Tolerance
> 3. Availability

I would add

4. Missing infrastructure - in some ad-hoc scenarios, the network is formed
spontaneously, with no dedicated server/master. Who should do the key
management here? Does everyone trust this entity? What if the elected key
server quits the net?

Stefan.

-- 
*--- please cut here... -------------------------------------- thanks! ---*
|-> E-Mail: [email-masked]    PGP-Key: 0x2F36F4FE <-|
| Heh, heh, I have an "NSA Hitachi" monitor on my desk... Must have a     |
| hidden camera in it?                                                    |
|   -- Seen in the thread "NSA and MS windows" on sci.crypt (06.09.1999)  |
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: John Tapsell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:34:09 +0000

By key management, are we talking about, for an example, a central pgp server 
signing others pgp keys?
If so, you can have distributed authorited servers..

John

---

From: Shweta Bhandare <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:14:24 -0700

Is Manet Key Management centralized or distributed, public key or not, 
etc. Can anyone give me pointers to find information in this context?

Thanks,
	Shweta

---

From: Stefano Basagni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:36:21 -0500 (EST)

> etc. Can anyone give me pointers to find information in this context?

  Something on ad hoc key management has been discussed in:

@InProceedings{Pebblenets,
  author =           {Basagni, S. and Herrin, K. and Bruschi, D. and
                      Rosti, E.},
  title =            {Secure Pebblenet},
  booktitle = 	     {Proceedings of the 2001 ACM Iternational Symposium
                      on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking \& Computing, MobiHoc 2001},
  pages = 	     {156--163},
  year = 	     {2001},
  address =          {Long Beach, CA},
  month = 	     {October 4--5}
}

  Hope this helps. St.

--
Stefano Basagni, Ph.D.     Assistant Professor of Computer  Engineering
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering   312 Dana Research Center
Northeastern University             360 Huntigton Ave. Boston, MA 02115
Tel. 617 373 3061, Fax 617 373 8970         E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "Seung Yi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:08:44 -0600

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Shweta Bhandare" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: [manet] key management

> etc. Can anyone give me pointers to find information in this context?

We have a extended version of last year's ICNP presentation in a technical report.

Key Management for Heterogeneous Ad Hoc Wireless Networks
Seung Yi, Robin Kravets
Poster Presentation, 10th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2002)
Detailed version is available as a technical report UIUCDCS-R-2002-2290

Should be enough as a starting point.

Regards,

- Seung

---

From: Caner Budakoglu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:42:18 -0800

Hi Sweta,

There are some other solutions for key management in Ad-Hoc Networks.The
complete survey-analysis for key management solutions can be found in
the following Master Thesis:

"Key management in Ad Hoc Networks" Klas Fokine, September,2002
www.ep.liu.se/exjobb/isy/2002/3322/exjobb.pdf

Caner

---

From: feng zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:47:17 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Shweta,
I think you can find more solutions and papers for key
management in Ad-Hoc Networks form my reading list. 

The page contains a list of papers on security for ad
hoc networks, including 
security for Routing Protocols; 
Key Exchange, Distribution and management, 
security for Group Communication and Multicast,
security for Sensor Network and so on.

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/zhufeng/security_manet.html

Best
--Feng      

> information in this context?

=====
==============================
ZHU, Feng
[email-masked]
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/zhufeng/security_manet.html

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Wenjing Lou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:02:48 -0500 (EST)

Centralized control mechanism (such as CA) is not suitable in a MANET
because of the node mobility and the lack
of infrastructure. I saw two interesting approaches for the key
management in MANET. One is to retain the concept of CA but distribute its
functionality into multiple servers using secret sharing. Papers adopting
this approach include

L. Zhou, Z. Haas, "Securing ad hoc networks", IEEE networks magazine,
vol.13, no.6, 1999
J. Kong, P. Zerfos, H. Luo, S. Lu, L. Zhang, "Providing robust and
ubiquitous security support for manet", ICNP'01
and the one mentioned in Yi's email.

The other appoach is totally distributed key management similar to that
used in PGP. The paper proposed this approach is
J-P. Hubaux, L. Buttyan, and S. Capkun, "The quest for security in mobile
ad hoc networks", MobiHOC'01

Wenjing

---

From: Pablo Serrano Yáñez-Mingot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:05:06 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

I think the Master Thesis

Key Management in Ad Hoc Networks
Klas Fokine
LITH-ISY-EX-3322-2002
2002-09-11

is a good starting point also, available at

http://www.ep.liu.se/exjobb/isy/2002/3322/exjobb.pdf

Pbl