Subject: [manet] SAODV(corrected)

From: zhen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:51:54 -0400

hello,

while reading SAODV, I can't understand the digital signature part very
well. The second signature is signed by source or destination? If it is by
the source, how come to prevent intermediate nodes from spoofing to have a 
route to the distination?

thanks for any help

Zhen

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Manel Guerrero Zapata <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:36:57 +0200

Hi :)

If you are talking about the 'Signature for RREP' in the 'RREQ Double Signature
Extension', it is signed by the originatior of the RREQ. But it will not be used
for the RREP of this Route Request. As it says in section #7, it will be used by
some intermediate node when/if it receives a different RREQ that asks for the
originator of the first RREQ.
So, although it is signed by the originator (A) it will only be used for a
different Route Request in which the destination is A.

If you are talking about the 'Signature of the new Lifetime' in the 'RREP
Double Signature Extension', it is signed by the intermediate node that
originates the RREP (as it explains section #8).

The use of Double signatures is optional. It is designed to allow intermediate
nodes to reply to RREQs but it is slightly less secure. So it is your desition
to use the sigle signatures (that it is more secure but does not allow
intermediate nodes to reply) or the doble signatures. Desition that should, of
course, depend in your security requirements.

I hope that it's more clear now.

BR/Manel