Subject: Re: [manet] New FCC Regulation

From: Wesley Eddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:50:16 -0500

Instead of the various half-baked ideas of tenous usefulness floating
around this list, folks might want to look at some interesting work that
has already been done on applying ad hoc networking in a flight
environment:

Maggie X. Cheng and Yiyuan J. Zhao.  "Connectivity of Ad Hoc Networks for
Advanced Air Traffic Management". Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information,
and Communication, volume 1, May 2004.

This can be found in the electronic library at the www.aiaa.org website.
The focus is on air traffic management, which is a much different (and
more important) beast than providing user services.

-Wes
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "John Mullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:37:15 -0700

Hi,

This is what bothers me.  Given that there is a need to communicate for the
reason of air traffic management and that wireless signals might interfere
with navigation equipment (at least that has been the claim), can any sort
of wireless network be supported in the cabin of an airplane without causing
some undesirable side-effect, such as, say, planes falling from the sky?  

Might it make more sense to use a wired connection from the laptop to a port
in a seat back and leave the wireless bit to communications between the
airplane and other nodes or hubs?  That way, the wireless element can be
maintained and checked to assure there is no conflict and, in the case of an
emergency, all wireless emanations can be cut with a single switch, rather
than making an announcement and waiting for all the passengers with wireless
cards to comply.

Then again, maybe I worry too much.

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Wesley Eddy
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 7:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] New FCC Regulation

Instead of the various half-baked ideas of tenous usefulness floating around
this list, folks might want to look at some interesting work that has
already been done on applying ad hoc networking in a flight
environment:

Maggie X. Cheng and Yiyuan J. Zhao.  "Connectivity of Ad Hoc Networks for
Advanced Air Traffic Management". Journal of Aerospace Computing,
Information, and Communication, volume 1, May 2004.

This can be found in the electronic library at the www.aiaa.org website.
The focus is on air traffic management, which is a much different (and more
important) beast than providing user services.

-Wes