Subject: [manet] call arrival rate and call holding times in ad hoc network simulations!

From: Raja Sombhotla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:46:20 -0800 (PST)

Dear all,
 
The call arrival rate is described as a poisson process and holding times are exponentially distributed in a mobile ad hoc network. Isn't it? What are the average values of the call arrival rate and call holding rate? Can anyone please let me know this? I am trying to simulate voice calls in mobile ad hoc networks and i am not sure for how long i should have my call on and how frequent should they be initiated. So any help will be greatly appreciated. Also when i consider a voice call in ad hoc network; should the voice packet generator ( i am using exponential packet generator in ns-2 for this purpose) be attached to both the nodes involved in the call? If so, should they be sending packets at the same time or different? Why?
 
Kindly do the needful at the earliest.
 
Regards,
Raja.

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
 Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today! 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "John P. Mullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:38:38 -0700

Hi Raja,

It is commonly assumed that arrivals are Poisson and hold times are
exponential.  The Poisson arrivals are often borne up in practice, but
exponential service times may not be the case.  Because the call frequency
and duration distribution will depend upon the application (I mean,
"military," "police," "transportation," not a particular software
application), there is really no universally accepted traffic model.  If you
do not have a particular application in mind, I suggest you try a search for
papers discussing traffic models in MANETs and use them to motivate your
choice of values.  Also, explore performance over a reasonable range of
intensity values, since different applications may require different
capabilities.   

John Mullen

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Raja Sombhotla
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 12:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] call arrival rate and call holding times in ad hoc
networksimulations!

Dear all,

The call arrival rate is described as a poisson process and holding times
are exponentially distributed in a mobile ad hoc network. Isn't it? What are
the average values of the call arrival rate and call holding rate? Can
anyone please let me know this? I am trying to simulate voice calls in
mobile ad hoc networks and i am not sure for how long i should have my call
on and how frequent should they be initiated. So any help will be greatly
appreciated. Also when i consider a voice call in ad hoc network; should the
voice packet generator ( i am using exponential packet generator in ns-2 for
this purpose) be attached to both the nodes involved in the call? If so,
should they be sending packets at the same time or different? Why?

Regards,

Raja.

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?
Meet the all-new My Yahoo! <http://my.yahoo.com>   Try it today!