Subject: Re: [manet] need help on tools.....

From: "Andras Varga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:37:58 +0100

Hello Parag,

Another choice would be the Mobility Framework
(http://mobility-fw.sourceforge.net/) for OMNeT++ (www.omnetpp.org). There's
a precompiled demo at
http://www.omnest.com/show.php?page=download&right=right2.

Best regards,
Andras

> Hi all,
> I am an undergraduate student of Computer science and engineering.I need
> help on the various tools that can be used for the simulation purpose in
> my project. Please explain me these tools NS-2 and OPNET. I have to choose
> one from these two tools for my simulation purpose.Please provide
> information about :
> 1. Which one is better?
> 2. How do they work both OPNET and NS-2 ?
>
> Look further to recieve soon response.
>
> Best Regards,
> Parag Goswami
> http://www.geocities.com/paragboom2k
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
>  The all-new My Yahoo! ? Get yours free!
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> manet at ietf.org
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Kevin Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:12:00 -0500 (EST)

Parag,

You have many options for tools, and it really depends on what you are 
trying to do. NS-2 is the "standard" tool for academic research. I have a 
version called SNS which is exactly compatible with NS-2, but can run 
much larger simulations and can run them much quicker (minutes instead of 
hours or days). OPNET and GloMoSim are also somewhat popular, and may be 
somewhat easier to learn to use, but possibly less powerful than SNS and 
NS-2. They both have the same very slow performance problems that NS-2 
has. SWANS/Jist is another Cornell simulator with good performance, and is 
probably the easiest to learn to use, but 
has less support for all the hundreds of protocols and scenarios included 
in SNS, since it is very new. The amount of documentation also varies alot 
between these tools. So it depends on your situation, and what you will be 
doing with the tools, and how much you will need to know about the 
simulator to do your experiments.

You can find SNS at http://www.cs.cornell.edu/People/egs/sns/.

Regards,
Kevin