Subject: RE: [manet] MANETs and 802.11?

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:19:47 +0000

> The question you raise it's, IMO, quite a hot topic. It's
> clear enough that current IEEE 802.11 implementations are
> not yet prepared for deploying real test-beds.

Except that some of us have done it.

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Ramón Agüero<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:51:04 +0100

Hi Chris,

I did not have the intention of bothering any of you. I know that some 
organizations (here I include mine) are working on real testbeds with 
802.11. This is clear enough; maybe I was not too concrete with my 
statement. My current belief is that existing technologies have a lot of 
drawbacks to be fully usable and, therefore, some tricks/hacks are 
required. If this is not your opinion, I would be really interested in 
knowing how this could be achieved.

Here, we are using sort of customized MAC filtering schemes. I don't know 
whether this is the more appropriate thing, but we couldn't think of 
something better. Again, if you have better ideas, I would be really 
interested in them.

Indeed, one of the major issues that are being pursued by MANET is real 
experimentation, so I guess this is the way to follow.

Again, sorry if I bothered you, this was clearly out of my intention.

Regards

Ramón