Subject: [manet] 802.11 ad-hoc mode and infrastructure mode

From: Claudio Lavecchia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:24:21 +0100

Hello you MANET ppl,

After last week discussion (for those who red it) that I found very 
helpful and interesting, I have another very general question:

Trying to investigate the causes of the delay that I was experiencing 
when running a multi-hop ftp session on a 802.11 mobile ad-hoc network 
(I recall the test scenario: 2 ipaqs equipped with Dell Truemobile 1150 
WLAN card and a laptop equipped withCisco Aironet 350, routing algo 
OLSR, ad-hoc mode, no mobility) I found an interesting article 
(http://dsonline.computer.org/0401/f/w1spotp.htm) claiming that five 
factors highly influence 802.11 link quality and those factors are:
- users shadowing (blocking) node links due to their own body orientation,
•- other people shadowing node links,
•- cars shadowing node links,
•- the wireless card model, and
•- node height.

Now the question that comes to my mind is: why when I use a WLAN card in 
infrastructure mode and connect to an Access Point I do not experience 
any delay and when I run ad-hoc mode tests I do? What can be the cause?

Thank you in advance

Claudio

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet