Subject: RE: [manet] New FCC Regulation

From: DANIEL BYRNE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:31:27 -0600

I'm just interrested in hte prospect of web browsing capabilites for airline
passengers.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wujciak, James (US SSA) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 2:09 PM
To: MANET Newsgroup
Subject: RE: [manet] New FCC Regulation

The routing protocol (level 3) should not have issues with "safety of
flight". The frequencies and power (level 2 & 1) used should not
interfere with the flight systems. Now if flight critical information is
to be sent through a manet network, it the would have to D0-178B (FAA)
compliant.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of DANIEL BYRNE
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 2:44 PM
To: MANET Newsgroup
Subject: [manet] New FCC Regulation

Would a manet be practical on an airplane in flight?  Now that the FCC
allows wireless networks to operate on airplanes in flight, what would
be
the method by which the plane connects to the ground communications
towers
or to the sattelites?  A MANET approach would allow the plane to shift
gateway routers as it passes over different geographic regions.  Also
individual users on the plane can contribute in a ad-hoc manner with one
another, sharing files, movies, chatting, etc. What physical layer, long
haul, wireless technologies can be used to communicate with the
sattelites
and towers?

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Kenneth Brayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:51:11 -0500

That is easy. Boeing has a product called Connexion. It is a Cisco 
Router on an Airplane with a satellite link to the ground. It is on 
Lufthansa with more to come. The FCC Regulation means they can put an 
802 net on board instead of running fibers to seats. Should make it come 
faster.
http://www.connexionbyboeing.com/
Ken

-- 
Kenneth Brayer
Fellow of the IEEE
M/S M370
The MITRE Corporation
202 Burlington Road
Bedford, MA 01730

e-mail: [email-masked]
tele: 781-271-5254
fax: 781-271-2841

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:42:22 -0800

For this kind of app, MANET has little applicability or value added.

Inside aircraft. MANET is designed to handle network topology
volatility.  That volatility will certainly not occur inside the
aircraft.  Even if you shift back and forth from one AP to another, that
doesn't entail changing routing tables.  

Outside aircraft -- the radio-WAN.  While aircraft are obviously mobile
platforms, that doesn't always translate into either layer 2 or layer 3
mobility issues -- it's entirely possible for an aircraft to take off
and fly to a destination and never change routing topology at all (e.g.
remains under the same satellite footprint for the entire flight).  

-- 

b