Subject: [manet] Last CFP Special issue IEEE TPDS on 'Localized communication and topology protocols for ad hoc networks'

From: "David Simplot-Ryl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:25:24 +0100

Please accept our apologies in case you receive this information from
multiple sources. 
==================================================================

			LAST CALL FOR PAPERS
  Localized communication and topology protocols for ad hoc networks
	IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
			    Special Issue
			 April Issue of 2006

IEEE Transaction on Parallel and Distributed Systems seeks original
manuscripts for a Special Issue on Localized Communication and
Topology Protocols for Ad Hoc Networks scheduled to appear in the
April issue of 2006.

This special issue covers comprehensively the algorithmic issues in
the "hot" area of ad hoc and sensor networking. It concentrates on the
network layer problems which can be divided into two groups: data
communication, and topology control problems. In data communication
problems, such as routing, quality-of-service routing, geocasting,
multicasting, and broadcasting, the primary goal is to fulfill a given
communication task successfully between nodes in ad hoc network. The
secondary task is to minimize the communication overhead and power
consumption by battery operated nodes. Topology control problems are
further subdivided into neighbour discovery and network organization
problems. In the neighbour discovery problem, the problem is to detect
neighboring nodes located within transmission radius. In the network
organization problem, each node should decide what communication links
to establish with neighbouring nodes (an example is Bluetooth
scatternet formation problem), and what power management schemes to
adopt (examples are "sleep" period operations and adjusting
transmission radii). Sensor networks are currently recognized as one
of the priority research areas and research activities are booming
recently. The applications of sensor networks are envisioned primarily
for monitoring the environment (e.g. motion detection, chemicals,
temperature) or as embedded systems (e.g. biomedical sensor
engineering). This special issue will also review ongoing research on
this "hot" topic, including problems such as: physical properties,
sensor training, security through intelligent node cooperation, medium
access, sensor area coverage with random and deterministic placement,
object location, sensor position determination, energy efficient
broadcasting and activity scheduling, routing, connectivity, data
dissemination and gathering, sensor centric quality of routing, path
exposure, tree reconfiguration, topology construction, and transport
layer.

The main paradigm shift is to apply localized schemes as opposed to
existing protocols requiring global information. Localized algorithms
are distributed algorithms where simple local node behaviour achieves
a desired global objective. Localized protocols provide scalable
solutions, that is, solutions for wireless networks with an arbitrary
number of nodes, which is the main goal of this plan. Sensor and
rooftop/mesh networks, for instance, have hundreds or thousands of
nodes.

Submitted articles must not have been previously published or
currently submitted for journal publication elsewhere. As an author,
you are responsible for understanding and adhering to our submission
guidelines. You can access them by clicking on
http://www.computer.org/tpds/author_new.htm. Please thoroughly read
these before submitting your manuscript.

Please submit your paper to Manuscript Central at
http://cs-ieee.manuscriptcentral.com/. Please feel free to contact the
Peer Review Supervisor, Suzanne Werner at [email-masked] or the
guest editors.

Important dates:

Submission Deadline:  February 15, 2005
Reviews Completed: March 29, 2005
Major Revisions Due (if Needed): May 30, 2005
Reviews of Revisions Completed (if Needed): July 14, 2005
Minor Revisions Due (if Needed): August 15,  2005
Notification of Final Acceptance: August 23,  2005
Publication Materials for Final Manuscripts Due: September 9, 2005

GUEST EDITORS

Stephan Olariu
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA, USA
[email-masked]
http://www.cs.odu.edu/~olariu

David Simplot-Ryl
IRCICA/LIFL, University of Lille, INRIA Futurs, France
[email-masked]
http://www.lifl.fr/~simplot

Ivan Stojmenovic
SITE, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6N5, Canada
[email-masked]
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~ivan

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet