Subject: [manet] WG Action: RECHARTER: Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:44:01 -0500

The Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet) working group in the Routing Area of the IETF 
has been rechartered. For additional information, please contact the Area 
Directors or the working group Chairs.

Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)
================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Joseph Macker <[email-masked]>
Ian Chakeres <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe manet
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The purpose of the MANET working group is to standardize IP routing protocol
functionality suitable for wireless routing application within both static
and dynamic topologies with increased dynamics due to node motion or other
factors.

Approaches are intended to be relatively lightweight in nature, suitable for
multiple hardware and wireless environments, and address scenarios where
MANETs are deployed at the edges of an IP infrastructure. Hybrid mesh
infrastructures (e.g., a mixture of fixed and mobile routers) should also be
supported by MANET specifications and management features.

Using mature components from previous work on experimental reactive and
proactive protocols, the WG will develop two Standards track routing
protocol
specifications:

- Reactive MANET Protocol (RMP)
- Proactive MANET Protocol (PMP)

If significant commonality between RMRP and PMRP protocol modules is
observed, the WG may decide to go with a converged approach. Both IPv4 and
IPv6 will be supported. Routing security requirements and issues will also
be addressed.

The MANET WG will also develop a scoped forwarding protocol that can
efficiently flood data packets to all participating MANET nodes. The primary
purpose of this mechanism is a simplified best effort multicast forwarding
function. The use of this protocol is intended to be applied ONLY within
MANET routing areas and the WG effort will be limited to routing layer
design issues.

The MANET WG will pay attention to the OSPF-MANET protocol work within the
OSPF WG and IRTF work that is addressing research topics related to MANET
environments.

Goals and Milestones:

[all current milestones are DONE]

Mar 05 Submit initial ID of RMP for WG review

Mar 05 Submit initial ID of PMP for WG review

Mar 05 Submit inital ID of generalized MANET flooding approach

Jun 05 Revise WG documents and review

Nov 05 Document initial implementation progress and experience
Revise documents based upon implementation experience

Feb 06 Submit RMP specification and supporting documentation to IESG for
publications as Proposed Standard

Feb 06 Submit PMP specification and supporting documentation to IESG for
publications as Proposed Standard

Feb 06 Submit MANET flooding specification to IESG for publication as
Experimental Standard

Mar 06 Review and update milestones

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:10:35 +0100

Folks,  
 
We have submitted an internet draft that describes 
a phenomenon called "routing hyperactivity" in reactive 
MANET routing. Please find the abstract below. 
 
We have good reasons to believe that the problem  
will happen sooner or later. Note also that the simplest  
solution (described in the I-D) is ~ 15 times more  
energy-efficient than standard route discovery. We are  
actually working on a 35 times more efficient route discovery 
algorithm using Bloom filters. 
 
The I-D can be received by clicking: 
 
http://www-sop.inria.fr/rodeo/personnel/Pars.Mutaf/draft-mutaf-manet-hyperactivity-00.txt 

Comments are of course welcome. 
Thank you. 
 
Pars Mutaf 
INRIA 
 
--- 

          Routing hyperactivity problem statement 
 
Abstract 
 
   The optimization offered by reactive routing relies on the 
   observation that under normal activity a host makes a low rate 
   of outgoing sessions to new or different hosts, and connections 
   are locally correlated. This contrasts the fundamental behavior 
   of address scanning worms that search for new hosts to infect at 
   high speeds. Consequently, each infected node will frequently 
   flood the network with route request messages targeted at 
   possibly non-existing addresses. 
 
   This phenomenon that can be called "routing hyperactivity", will 
   probably result in excessive energy loss in mobile ad hoc networks, 
   (in addition to other well-known impacts of Internet worms). 
   Accordingly a simple technique is described for reducing the energy 
   loss ~ 15 times for every node in a network.