Subject: [manet] Journal of Systems and Network Management Special Issue on Manage ment of Active and Programmable Networks (LoI Jan 15)

From: "Bush, Stephen F (Research)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:04:08 -0500

Dear Colleagues,

Below please find a call-for-papers for a JSNM Special Issue on Active and
Programmable Networks. Draft manuscripts are due Mar 30, 2005 with
Notification of Acceptance by May 31, 2005.

Stephen F. Bush and Shivkumar Kalyanaraman, co-editors

---------------------------------------------------------------------

** CALL FOR PAPERS **

JOURNAL OF NETWORK AND SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT

Special Issue on Management of Active and Programmable
Networks

Manuscript due March 30, 2005

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Active networks provide a framework enabling code and data to reside within
network packets such that injected code can modify behavior of low-level
network layers. Programmable networks allow customization o data-plane and
control-plane services (e.g.: using network processor methods in high-speed
routers or software radio methods in wireless networks). This raises
fundamental management issues regarding the relation and tradeoffs among
communication and computation, configuration, fault, security, performance,
and accounting management. 

AD HOC WIRELESS NETWORKS and SOFTWARE RADIOS are being facilitated by the
advancement of active networks; however, they add another level of
complexity to active and programmable network management. The relationship
between computation and communication can be addressed by concepts from
algorithmic information theory (e.g.: Kolmogorov-Chaitin Complexity). Active
and programmable networks form an ideal environment in which to study the
effects of tradeoffs in algorithmic and static information representation.
Active code can contain either the protocol or a compressed form of the data
to be transported. Other divisions of code and state are possible between
packets (e.g.: routers with dynamic packet state and customizable data-plane
code).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This special issue of the Journal of Network and Systems Management will
consider topics associated with the management of active and programmable
networks. Submissions will span a broad range of topics, e.g.:

* Bridging the gap among the large and growing body of work in algorithmic
information theory and applications to the health, management, and security
of an active or programmable network

* Fundamental relationships between computation and communication applied to
active or programmable networks; relationship of code vs. data tradeoffs
utilized to control access of information, system vulnerability detection,
policy enforcement, etc. within an active or programmable network

* Self-organization and composition of active network services;
self-configuration of active or programmable networks

* Case studies involving the management of dynamic adaptation and
performance enabled by active networks

* Active or programmable networks used to manage and control mobile ad hoc
network operation and legacy networks

* Active or programmable network management of QoS: controlled amounts of
code vs. data that adapt to link quality

* Management of active packets in constrained devices such as sensors

* Active and programmable network management techniques applied to link and
physical layer network components e.g. software radio waveforms

* Improvement or replacement of defacto management standard access and
control such as SNMP with active or programmable mechanisms

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions to Contributors:

Authors are invited to submit papers for peer-review to the guest editors.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please prepare the manuscripts
in single-column, double-spaced format and submit Word, PDF, or Postscript
files.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest Editors:

Dr. Stephen F. Bush
Research Scientist
GE Global Research 
Niskayuna, NY 
[email-masked]
Email: http://www.research.ge.com/~bushsf

Dr. Shivkumar Kalyanaraman    
Associate Professor, Dept of ECSE      
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
Troy NY 12180-3590
Email: [email-masked]
http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Schedule:

 Optional letter of intent: 	Jan 15, 2005
            Manuscript due:  	Mar 30, 2005
Notification of Acceptance:  	May 31, 2005
      Final Manuscript due: 	Jul 30, 2005
          Publication Date:	Mar 2006

---------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet