Subject: [manet] FW: Wifi Ad-hoc mode IBSS ID

From: "Azalea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:55:58 +0800

In total i have 6 SanDisk Wifi card that is attached to 6 PDAs. I have no
connectivity problem which means that i can connect all 6 PDAs, transfer
information, PING each other, make and receive IP calls etc with little
problem. I am using SanDisk Wifi SD card's Ad-hoc mode to connect all my
PDAs. I do not have DHCP server so my PDA's IPs are 169.254.x.x. I do not
use Access Point.

So this is what I have, I have 6 PDA and 6 NICs (SanDisk Wifi). I setup a
wireless network named PUT from my desktop and obtained the network key from
here. My desktop PCI wireless LAN adapter MAC address is 00:0C:85:FC:06:50.
I then disable my desktop wireless LAN adpter. I key in the network key for
"PUT" into PDA #1 of SanDisk Wifi card MAC address 00:0B:6C:20:10:E1. When i
switch on PDA #2's wifi (MAC 00:0B:62:20:10:FD) it sees Network PUT. I
select this network for PDA #2 to connect to. I do the same connection for
all the other 4 PDAs; connecting to network PUT.

During the first session, the IBSS ID for PUT is 02:0B:57:53:10:FD. When
this session ends, all PDAs were disconnected. When a new session was made
to network PUT I got a different IBSS ID. Listed below are all my SanDisk
wifi card MAC's:
1.00:0B:6C:20:10:E1
2.00:0B:62:20:10:FD
3.00:0B:6C:1F:D1:78
4.00:0B:6C:1F:D1:74
5.00:0B:6C:1F:D1:86
6.00:0B:6C:1F:0A:C5

And here were the IBSS ID that I got for network PUT
1. PUT : 02:0B:57:53:10:FD
2. PUT : 02:0B:0F:E6:10:FD
3. PUT : 02:0B:13:E4:D1:78

I need to know why were the IBSS ID different and where does the IBSS ID
come from? Any clue ?

Regards,
Azalea

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:56:44 +0100

> I need to know why were the IBSS ID different and where does the IBSS ID

Looks like these are randomly generated 020B-prefixed numbers.  They're 
used as a replacement for the MAC address of the AP (there's no AP in 
ad-hoc mode).  Why do those number bother your setting?

Can you make the same stuff work with IPv6 too?

Alex