Subject: [manet] CFP Special Issue on Management of Active and Programmable Networks

From: "Bush, Stephen F \(Research\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:00:25 -0500

Dear Colleagues, 

Below please find a call-for-papers for a JSNM Special Issue on 
Active and Programmable Networks. Draft manuscripts  are due 
Mar 30, 2005 with Notification of Acceptance by May 31, 2005. 

Stephen F. Bush and Shivkumar Kalyanaraman, co-editors 

------------------------------------------------------------ 

                    ** CALL FOR PAPERS ** 
  
JOURNAL OF NETWORK AND SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT 
  
    Special Issue on Management of Active and Programmable 
                                Networks 
  
                Manuscript due March 30, 2005 
  
------------------------------------------------------------ 

Active  networks provide a framework enabling code and  data 
to reside within network packets such that injected code can 
modify  behavior  of low-level network layers.  Programmable 
networks  allow customization o data-plane and control-plane 
services  (e.g.:  using network processor methods  in  high- 
speed   routers  or  software  radio  methods  in   wireless 
networks).   This   raises  fundamental  management   issues 
regarding the relation and tradeoffs among communication and 
computation,  configuration, fault,  security,  performance, 
and accounting management. 

AD  HOC  WIRELESS  NETWORKS and SOFTWARE  RADIOS  are  being 
facilitated by the advancement of active networks;  however, 
they   add  another  level  of  complexity  to  active   and 
programmable  network  management. The relationship  between 
computation  and communication can be addressed by  concepts 
from   algorithmic  information  theory  (e.g.:  Kolmogorov- 
Chaitin  Complexity). Active and programmable networks  form 
an  ideal  environment  in which to  study  the  effects  of 
tradeoffs    in    algorithmic   and   static    information 
representation. Active code can contain either the  protocol 
or  a  compressed form of the data to be transported.  Other 
divisions  of  code and state are possible  between  packets 
(e.g.:  routers  with dynamic packet state and  customizable 
data-plane code). 

------------------------------------------------------------ 

This  special  issue of the Journal of Network  and  Systems 
Management   will  consider  topics  associated   with   the 
management  of active and programmable networks. Submissions 
will span a broad range of topics, e.g.: 

*  Bridging the gap among the large and growing body of work 
in  algorithmic information theory and applications  to  the 
health,   management,  and  security   of   an   active   or 
programmable network 

*  Fundamental   relationships  between   computation   and 
communication  applied  to active or programmable  networks; 
relationship of code vs. data tradeoffs utilized to  control 
access   of  information,  system  vulnerability  detection, 
policy  enforcement, etc. within an active  or  programmable 
network 

*  Self-organization  and  composition  of  active  network 
services;   self-configuration  of  active  or  programmable 
networks 

*  Case   studies  involving  the  management  of   dynamic 
adaptation and performance enabled by active networks 

*  Active or programmable networks used to manage and control 
mobile ad hoc network operation and legacy networks 

*  Active  or  programmable  network  management  of   QoS: 
controlled  amounts  of code vs. data  that  adapt  to  link 
quality 

*  Management of active packets in constrained devices  such 
as sensors 

*  Active  and  programmable network  management  techniques 
applied  to link and physical layer network components  e.g. 
software radio waveforms 

*  Improvement or replacement of defacto management standard 
access  and control such as SNMP with active or programmable 
mechanisms 

------------------------------------------------------------ 

Instructions to Contributors: 

Authors are invited to submit papers for peer-review to  the 
guest editors. Only electronic submissions will be accepted. 
Please  prepare  the  manuscripts in single-column,  double- 
spaced format and submit Word, PDF, or Postscript files. 

------------------------------------------------------------ 

Guest Editors: 

Dr. Stephen F. Bush 
Research Scientist 
GE Global Research 
Niskayuna, NY 
bushsf at research.ge.com 
Email: http://www.research.ge.com/~bushsf 

Dr. Shivkumar Kalyanaraman 
Associate Professor, Dept of ECSE 
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) 
Troy NY 12180-3590 
Email: shivkuma at ecse.rpi.edu 
http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma 

------------------------------------------------------------ 

Schedule: 

 Manuscript due:   Mar 30, 2005 
 Notification of Acceptance:   May 31, 2005 
 Final Manuscript due:   Jul 30, 2005 
 Publication Date:   Mar 2006 

------------------------------------------------------------ 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet