Subject: [manet] care about the perspective of fragmentation

From: wjf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:58:49 +0900

hello, all.

     it is obvious that the fragmentation is very useful to increase the transmission reliability 
against the channel noise, fading. but whether this way can improve the throughput of WLAN and 
raise the efficiency of bandwidth is still vague. i simulated the conventional fragmentation
algorithm by using HR/DSSS, and found there is not any merit to use this way. even, the 
fragmentation can result in the performance degradation(maybe, my simulation model is too common 
to discover the value of fragmentation). i think the redundant overhead (like the SIFS, ACK 
& PLCP preamble..) is the primary reason on performance deterioration, especially under the 
high rate environment.
    and today, like the frame aggregation technology, to decrease the needless overhead, it permits 
to concatenate some smaller frames headed for the same next hop into a big frame at mac layer. 
however, the fragmentation runs in the opposite direction(maybe, the reason is only available 1M or
2M bandwidth in the past). i think the coming 802.11n will provide more high rate sets and more
technologies for users. So, is the fragmentation promising yet?

    thank for any help.

WANG JF

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet