Subject: Re: [manet] Help me with AODV destination sequence number

From: Cindy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:13:20 +1000

Hi Jackson,

I'm not quite sure about that. 

To my knowledege, the value of destination sequence number 
(DSN) has no effect on the generation of RREP. It is 
supposed to be used by forwarding nodes (forwarding RREP) to 
update their route table, i.e. if the value of DSN is 
greater than the maintained one, the route is recognized as 
fresh and the node will update its route table entry. When 
an intermediate node wants to generate RREP, it simpley 
drops the RREQ, and copies the DSN maintained into RREP. 

Beside, go back to the previous question. If a node 
maintains the DSN in its route table, this means it should 
have an active route toward that destination. So why doesn't 
it generate RREP itself? 

So, what i can reason about these above is: either the 
forwarding has a route but set as "invalid", or it only 
works for the siatuation that only the destination node can 
generate RREP.

Expecting your correction!

Cheers!
Cindy

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Jackson Oh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:55:52 +0800 (GMT-8)

Hi Cindy,

If the intermediate node has a valid and higher DSN value, and assuming
that intermediate nodes are allowed to generate RREPs, i don't see why
any won't be generated.

My guess to your question would be that intermediate nodes are not
allowed to generate RREPs.

Cheers,
Jackson