Subject: [manet] question about simultaneous use of different routing protocols in a single MANET

From: Faisal Adeem Siddiqui <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:03:18 +0900

Hi all,
I was wondering if it is possible and practical to use two different routing
protocols in a single MANET ? I think if we are using two routing protocols
then it will make two segments of MANET and there must be a node (gateway)
between these segments which understands both routing protocols to relay
traffic from one segment to another.
On the other hand, if we want to switch from one routing protocol to another
depending upon the network conditions, will it be practical ? For example,
initially we have a proactive routing protocol running but after some time
the mobility of nodes increase considerably and the performance of proactive
routing protocol is decreased. Now if we want to switch to a reactive
routing protocol, will it incur a lot of overhead ? Is it practical ? If
someone has done any experiments of this kind please refer it to me.
Thanks.

Faisal.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Prince Samar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:33:49 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Faisal,

The Independent Zone Routing (IZR) framework has the capability to switch
between proactive and reactive routing if the network characteristics
(e.g., mobility, call patterns and rate) so dictate. Perhaps more
importantly, the IZR framework has the ability to adaptively determine and
support the optimal proportions of proactive and reactive routing in the
network, leading to efficient and scalable performance. The decisions to 
vary the proportions of proactive and reactive routing is totally 
distributed, on a per node basis, resulting in reduced overhead and 
eliminating any inconsistency issues. Details are documented in the 
following paper:

* P. Samar, M.R. Pearlman, Z.J. Haas, "Independent Zone Routing: An 
   Adaptive Hybrid Routing Framework for Ad Hoc Wireless Networks," in 
   IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 12, Issue 4, pages 595-608, 
   Aug. 2004.

Regards,
Prince

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Faisal Adeem Siddiqui wrote:

: Hi all,
: I was wondering if it is possible and practical to use two different routing
: protocols in a single MANET ? I think if we are using two routing protocols
: then it will make two segments of MANET and there must be a node (gateway)
: between these segments which understands both routing protocols to relay
: traffic from one segment to another.
: On the other hand, if we want to switch from one routing protocol to another
: depending upon the network conditions, will it be practical ? For example,
: initially we have a proactive routing protocol running but after some time
: the mobility of nodes increase considerably and the performance of proactive
: routing protocol is decreased. Now if we want to switch to a reactive
: routing protocol, will it incur a lot of overhead ? Is it practical ? If
: someone has done any experiments of this kind please refer it to me.
: Thanks.
: 
: Faisal.
: 
: 
: _______________________________________________
: manet mailing list
: [email-masked]
: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
: 
: