Subject: [manet] RE: [rohc] ROHC - IP Broadcast

From: "Ray O'Connell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:26:57 -0500

L-E,
Thanks for the response.  

I can see a benefit in the products we currently have deployed and in
development for this type of technology and would like to hear from
others   with similar interest.  The ability to define a compression
mechanism to run within wireless ad-hoc nodes using periodic hello
messaging employing IPv6 seems to be justification enough for its
development. The method does not need to go to extreme compression
levels to get the message size to a few bytes as in the voice over RTP
work already performed.  The intent is to reduce the large impact that
IPv6 imposes to broadcast/multicast messages in a wireless network. 

In my travels I have also noticed that Qualcomm has a patent application
"Header compression enhancement for broadcast/multicast services" for
similar technology based on extending the work performed in the ROHC
working group which indicates to me that there are other interests out
there.

I would appreciate anyone with similar interest in the MANET or ROHC
working group to contact me for the purpose of pursuing a draft rfc
covering the broadcast and multicast compression profiles.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray O'Connell
Nova Systems Solutions
A Division of Nova Engineering, Inc.
9928 Windisch Rd
West Chester, OH 45069
Voice: 513-483-6305
Fax:    513-554-3898
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB) [mailto:[email-masked]]

Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:09 AM
To: Ray O'Connell; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [rohc] ROHC - IP Broadcast

Ray, 

> Is the current thinking one or more of the following:
> 
> 1)      The U-mode and current UDP/IP profiles all ready
>         cover the broadcast case sufficiently.
> 2)      This is an issue though it just has not been a
>         priority at this point.
> 3)      No interest in addressing this in the ROHC working group.  
> 4)      Other ?

As always, IETF work is never started before someone asks for it
to be done, justifies the need for it, gets support from others,
makes sure there are volunteers to do the work, and find
(sometimes creates) a proper IETF working group where it fits.

In this case, we have not yet seen any case presented that
there is ROHC work needed for this purpose. From a ROHC WG
point of view, one can thus say that this is (so far) a
non-existing issue. My personal assumption (at the moment)
would be that either there is no interest in running ROHC over
broadcasting links, or implementer's have found 1) to be fine.

If you do believe otherwise, you are welcome to introduce the
problem case to the ROHC working group (in Internet-Draft form).

BR,
/L-E

_____________________________________________
From: Ray O'Connell 
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 5:03 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: ROHC - IP Broadcast 

All,

Is anyone currently working on an ROHC IP over broadcast draft at this
point or have any plans to do so in the future ?

For certain periodic broadcast messaging in wireless networks it seems
as if it would be highly desirable from an channel efficiency standpoint
to permit header compression.  Applications involving sensor networks as
well as MANET routing protocols that use broadcast messages could
benefit greatly from standards based broadcast message compression.  

The compression used in these cases does not need to be to the high
levels required by voice over cellular as reflected in most of the
activity in the ROHC working group.  Just the ability to compress the
static fields would result in a significant advantage when sending small
packets in a wireless environment.   

Is the current thinking one or more of the following:

1)	The U-mode and current UDP/IP profiles all ready cover the
broadcast case sufficiently.
2)	This is an issue though it just has not been a priority at this
point.
3)	No interest in addressing this in the ROHC working group.
4)	Other ?

Any help in clarifying this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray O'Connell
Nova Systems Solutions
A Division of Nova Engineering, Inc.
9928 Windisch Rd
West Chester, OH 45069
Voice: 513-483-6305
Fax:    513-554-3898
[email-masked]

"This email contains confidential and/or privileged material.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the person or entity to whom they are addressed.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer."

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: gabriel montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:30:27 -0800 (PST)

One example of similar work is going on in 6lowpan.
Please see header compression (section 8) in 

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6lowpan-format-01.txt

tnx,

-gabriel

--- Ray O'Connell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> "This email contains confidential and/or privileged material.  This email and any files
> transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the person or entity to whom they
> are addressed.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
> action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
> recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender
> and delete the material from any computer."
>