Subject: [manet] data rate Vs Channel BW

From: cidambaram ramanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 01:35:31 +0000 (GMT)

Dear All,
 As I have gone through many papers in MANET, All authors describe that dta rate
varies from 4 - 10 packets per sec for about 30 or 50 node scenario. and the channel
BW is kept as 2 Mbps.
Considering, packets size to fixed may be at 512 bytes , The traffic rate may be
only in some 100 kbps.This seems to be very low for channel bw in Mbps.
Why is dta rate kept very low in these simulations?
Can anyone help me in this regard?
Thanks in advance.
Gomathy

Gomathy

___________________________________________________________ 
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:36:32 -0800

Gomathy,

In the papers you went through, do any of them:
	- describe experiments that use the layer 2 MAC?  Or are they simply
using something like WiFi in a point-to-point configuration?
	- use layer 2 multicast (e.g. ethernet addressing)?  

If you ignore the layer 2 shared use functionality of a radio net and
only model the layer 3 MANET characteristics, the numbers you're
describing are about par for the course.  If you ignore layer 2
multicast, then the bandwidth efficiency that a multi-point radio
network can offer are obviated.  

Help?

-- 
b