Subject: [manet] CFP: special issue of IEEE WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS: WiMAX/MobileFi

From: Yang Xiao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:28:06 -0800 (PST)

[Our apologies if you receive multiple copies]

====================================================================
IEEE WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS - CALL FOR PAPERS

(http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/pcm/cfpwireless207.htm)

RADIO RESOURCE MANAGEMENT AND PROTOCOL ENGINEERING IN FUTURE IEEE
BROADBAND WIRELESS NETWORKS

Background: 

The IEEE Standard 802.16 and its evolutions (i.e., 802.16a, 802.16d,
802.16e, 802.16g) set the stage for a worldwide revolution in Broadband
Wireless Access (BWA). In addition, IEEE 802.20 working group is
developing new standards for both fixed and mobile broadband wireless
wide-area networking (WWAN). Also known as the WiMAX (Worldwide
Interoperability for Microwave Access), IEEE 802.16 (802.16a, 802.16d,
802.16e, WiBro)-based technology can potentially deliver fixed,
portable,
and mobile wireless solutions enabling high-bandwidth services with an
array of multimedia features, and it supports point-to-multipoint (PTM)
and mesh network architectures. With advantages in terms of high
transmission rate and coverage area, mobility support, and pre-defined
Quality-of-Service (QoS) framework, this IP-based wireless broadband
technology can be integrated with 3G mobile networks, 802.11-based
WLANs,
and wireline networks to provide seamless broadband connectivity to
mobile
users. With an exponential growth, the worldwide installed base for
WiMAX
technology is expected to reach the 200 million mark by 2006. A Mobile
Broadband Wireless Access (MBWA) Working Group has been approved by the
IEEE Standards Board for the establishment of IEEE 802.20 (also
referred
to as MobileFi) with specifications for Medium Access Control (MAC) as
well as PHYsical (PHY) layer that support mobility, packet data
services
and efficient adaptive antenna support.

Although the IEEE 802.16 specifications define the signaling messages
for
the multiple access mechanisms, the radio resource management protocols
for sub-carrier allocation, dynamic bandwidth adaptation, connection
admission control, and many aspects of network control and management
algorithms are unspecified on purpose and left open for innovations by
individual equipment vendors as a way to differentiate their products
in
the marketplace. Protocol engineering for 802.16/802.20-based broadband
wireless systems is an emerging research area where some results have
recently been published. However, it holds a greater potential for even
comprehensive results addressing relevant issues to support the
emerging
applications and the development of related concepts and technologies
are
critical. The emphasis of this special issue will be on design,
analysis,
and optimization of protocols (in Layer 2 and above) for WiMAX/MobileFi
networks.

Scope of Contributions: 

The papers in this feature topic will focus on state-of –the-art
research
in various aspects of protocol (Layer 2 and above) design and
engineering
for WiMAX/MobileFi networks. We solicit original unpublished
manuscripts
not currently being considered elsewhere for publication. The topics of
interest include, but are not limited to the following:

* MAC layer optimization for supporting PTM and mesh architectures in
WiMAX/ MobileFi networks

* Scheduling, resource reservation/sub-channel allocation, call
admission
control mechanisms for single-hop and multi-hop WiMAX networks

* Link adaptation, error control, hybrid-ARQ and other diversity
schemes
for WiMAX/ MobileFi networks

* Multi-hop routing in WiMAX/MobileFi mesh networks

* Integration of 3G, WiFi, WiMAX/MobileFi, and wireline networks

* Mobility, location and handoff management in converged WiMAX-3G-WiFi
environment

* IP address management and optimized IP mobility solution for
WiMAX/MobileFi networks

* TCP over WiMAX/MobileFi

* Pricing models for WiMAX/MobileFi networks

* QoS specification and metrics 

* Multimedia QoS and traffic management in multi-hop WiMAX mesh
networks 

* Privacy and security protocols

* Application-oriented protocols and usage scenarios

* Network control and signaling

* Proxies and middleware

* Cross-layer strategies and end-to-end quality of service

* Modeling, performance evaluation, and optimization techniques

* Implementation and test-bed results 

* Overview of the special projects underway and planned

* Standardization status reports 

Prospective authors should e-mail their manuscripts as a pdf attachment
along with the title, the abstract, and the address for correspondence
as
a separate text attachment to one of the Guest Editors no later than
June
15, 2006. Papers should be of tutorial in nature and the authors must
follow the IEEE Wireless Communications guidelines for preparation of
the
manuscripts. For further details, potential authors should refer to
“Information for Authors” in IEEE Wireless Communications website at

	http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/pcm/sub_guidelines
 
Schedule

* Manuscript Submission: 15 June 2006
* Notification of Acceptance: 1 September 2006
* Final Manuscript Due: 15 October  2006
* Expected Publication Date: February 2007

Guest Editors

Kin K. Leung, Imperial College, United Kingdom,
[email-masked]
(or [email-masked])

Ekram Hossain, University of Manitoba, Canada, [email-masked]
       
Yang Xiao, The University of Memphis, USA, [email-masked]  

Li-Chun Wang, National Chiao-Tung University, [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet