Subject: [manet] SUMMER SCHOOL IN WIRELESS SENSOR NETWORKS: CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

From: "Mieso Denko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:56:53 -0500

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

          SUMMER SCHOOL IN WIRELESS SENSOR NETWORKS
             OTTAWA, CANADA, AUGUST 14-16, 2006

   http://kunz-pc.sce.carleton.ca/AdHocNow2006/sensors.html

Sponsored by Mathematics of Information Technology and Complex Systems
             (MITACS: http://www.mitacs.math.ca/)

Processors, sensors, and wireless radios are becoming extremely small
and inexpensive. We therefore foresee a world where many everyday objects
and physical environments are enriched by computational power. Wireless
sensor networks are a relatively recent and exciting example of networked
embedded sensing systems and significant research projects in this area
are under way throughout the world. The area provides a rich field of
research challenges and possibilities for technology transfer (for
example, RFID sensors and supply chain management, smart homes/cities,
health care, etc.).

Goals and Audience
==================

The intended audience are post-graduate students from primarily Canadian
universities at both the Master's and PhD level, and young researchers
from universities and industrial laboratories around the world. If there
is room, senior undergraduate students who have a strong research interest
in sensor networks will also be considered. The number of participants
will be limited to approximately 50.

The goal of the summer school is to provide a basic survey of the most
relevant subfields, to present the perspectives and the underlying
technologies, as well as to identify important research themes.
Furthermore, the school will provide the opportunity to get to know other
people working in the field, to meet other graduate students and to
interact with distinguished scholars. We hope that it will lead to the
establishment of contacts that may result in future research
collaborations as well.

Schedule/Topics (tentative)
===========================

The summer school will last for 3 days and will feature a number
of different activities.

* Lectures
* TinyOS and ZigBee tutorial
* Participants workshop. Some time will be reserved for a workshop
  where participants can present their own work and involvement in
  the field.
* Social event(s) to encourage the development of a community among
  the researchers.
* AdHoc NOW conference. The summer school will be held just before
  AdHoc NOW (http://kunz-pc.sce.carleton.ca/AdHocNow2006/). This
  will allow participants to register for and participate in the
  conference.

Registration, Costs, and Travelling
===================================

Participation is open to all qualified applicants, but the number of
participants is limited to a maximum of 50 (with 40 spots reserved for
graduate students). If we receive more applications, we will select
participants based on their work area and background, geographic
distribution, and date of registration. If you are interested in
participating, please send an e-mail with the pertinent information
(name, contact information, research area and background) to
[email-masked]. If you want to give a brief talk about your
own work, please also include a short title and abstract. Graduate
students should also provide their student ID and e-mail address of their
faculty advisor/supervisor, to allow us to verify their student status.

The nominal registration fee will be C$400, with the registration fee for
the graduate student participants covered through support from MITACS.
Participants are responsible to arrange for their own travel and
accomodation. For example, residence space at the University of Ottawa
is available for approximately C$35/day for a single room or C$50/day for
a shared room.

Participants are expected to arrive in the afternoon or evening of
Sunday, August 13. The school itself will begin on Monday
(Aug. 14) morning and end on Wednesday (Aug. 16) evening.

Important Dates
===============

Application deadline: May 6, 2006
Notification of admittance: May 20, 2006
Summer School: August 14-16, 2006
AdHoc-Now conference: August 17-19, 2006

Contact Information
===================

Thomas Kunz
Associate Professor
Carleton University
tkunz@.sce.carleton.ca

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet