Subject: [manet] Call for Papers

From: "Amoakoh Gyasi-Agyei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:28:57 +1000

Please pardon me if this email is a disturbance to you in any form. 

The 10th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and
Informatics (WMSCI 2006)
http://www.iiisci.org/wmsci2006/website/ProgramCommitte.asp

July 16-19, 2006 - Orlando, Florida, USA

CALL FOR PAPERS, INVITED SESSION

CROSS-LAYER PROTOCOL ENGINEERING & RADIO RESOURCE MANAGEMENT IN
Terrestrial & Satellite WIRELESS NETWORKS 

Background:
Packaging of communications functionalities into independent protocol
layers has been the traditional way of designing communications
protocols, whereby each layer receives service from the underlying layer
through the abstracted service access points. This way of protocol
design is now viewed by many practitioners to be more of a bust than a
boom; and hence the current drive towards cross-layer protocol design
and inter-layer communications/interactions. The efficient performance
of every multiuser (communications) system depends largely on its Media
Access Control (MAC) scheme. There are, in general, two main
philosophies by which MAC schemes for wireless networks can be designed:
link/rate adaptation (LRA) and opportunistic scheduling (OS). Both MAC
design philosophies require cross-layer protocol design and/or
optimization. The transmission medium used by wireless networks is
inherently varying in spectral, spatial and temporal domains, i.e.
specto-spatio-temporally varying. This is attributed to various factors,
such as multipath signal propagation, user mobility, and nonstationary
clutter in the vicinity of either of the two nodes forming the wireless
link. Hence, different users competing for the same wireless resource
experience different channel qualities at different times and at
different spatial positions within a cell. Unlike link/rate adaptation
based schemes, OS exploits the multiuser diversity inherent in
independent channel fading across different users sharing the same radio
resource to maximize system throughput, rather than combating it.
Traditionally, channel variation is considered bad and intricate
measures (e.g. interleaving, power control, antenna diversity,
equalization) are taken to combat it. Now, there is the realization to
exploit it to boost throughput at a cheaper cost. Hence, instead of
mitigating fast fading, recent trends induce it (if needed) in order to
enhance the gains achievable in multiuser diversity based scheduling
Opportunistic Scheduling is a relatively new MAC design technique which
exploits the inherent randomization in wireless channels, especially
when used for multiuser communications. There are many research issues
that are yet to be fully explored in this area.  For instance,
applications of Opportunistic Scheduling in distributed wireless
networks (e.g. MANETs and WSNs) have not been (fully) explored yet.
Many professionals in the communications industry view cross-layer MAC
design as the future of fully optimized protocols for end-to-end
(wireless) communications.  Hence, the need to collect experiences and
viewpoints of researchers and practitioners with background in the area.
Optimum tradeoff between competing design issues, such as throughput
(spectral efficiency) and traffic QoS requirements (e.g. delay
constraints) are not fully answered yet.  Another issue yet to be
explored is the potential impacts (advantages) of Opportunistic
Scheduling on device energy consumption.

Scope of Contributions:
This invited session of the WMSCI conference is devoted to the research,
implementation and regulatory activities within the industry, regulatory
bodies and academia on all topics related to cross-layer protocol
engineering and RRM for wireless networks. Articles on terrestrial or
satellite wireless networks, single-hop or multi-hop wireless networks,
or mesh networks are welcome. Topics of interest include, but not
limited to:

o	The state-of-art of cross-layer MAC design and opportunistic
scheduling 
o	Framework for cross-layer MAC design and opportunistic
scheduling 
o	Pertinent design issues in opportunistic scheduling and/or
cross-layer MAC design 
o	Cross-layer RRM in MIMO-OFDM networks: single-hop or multi-hop
o	The pros and cons of opportunistic scheduling and/or cross-layer
MAC design  
o	Challenges in cross-layer MAC design   
o	The future of opportunistic scheduling and/or cross-layer MAC
design 
o	Impacts of opportunistic scheduling and/or cross-layer MAC
design on overall wireless system design 
o	Comparison between link/rate adaptation based MAC and
opportunistic scheduling based MAC 
o	Architectural differences between link/rate adaptation based MAC
and opportunistic scheduling based MAC 
o	Efficient techniques for obtaining link quality feedback to MAC
sublayer for optimum scheduling 
o	Efficient techniques for obtaining feedback on traffic
QoS-related parameters to MAC sublayer for optimum scheduling 
o	Applications of opportunistic scheduling in distributed wireless
networks (e.g. MANETs and Wireless Sensor Networks)   
o	 Impacts (advantages) of Opportunistic Scheduling on device
energy consumption have NOT been covered well yet in the current
literature 
o	Optimum tradeoff between competing design issues like throughput
(spectral efficiency) and QoS (e.g . delay constraints) 
o	Implementations and simulation experiences in opportunistic
scheduling and cross-layer MAC design 
Submission 
Prospective authors may please e-mail extended abstracts or full papers
of their contributions as a PDF attachment along with the title, the
abstract, and the address for correspondence as a separate text
attachment to [email-masked] as per the schedule below. 

*	All conference papers will be published in the conference
proceedings
*	Best papers will be published in The Journal of Systemics,
Cybernetics and Informatics (JSCI),
http://www.iiisci.org/Journal/SCI/InfoCont.asp?var=
*	Selected papers will also be published in a multiple-author
book. 

Schedule: 
*	February 10th, 2006: Submission of extended abstracts (500-1500)
words or paper drafts (2000-5000) words or full papers
*	March 5th, 2006: Acceptance notifications 
*	April 10th, 2006: Submission of camera-ready papers (hard
deadline)

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet