Subject: [manet] CFCh: Wireless Multimedia: Quality of Service and Solutions - Deadline Approaching

From: "Nikki Cranley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:12:24 +0000

Dear All,

My sincere apologies for mulitple copies this Call For Chapters.
We kindly invite you to submit book chapter proposals to the forthcoming
book:
Wireless Multimedia: Quality of Service and Solutions

Please, note that the deadline is January 1, 2007
Email Submissions, Queries and Questions To: [email-masked]

Kind regards,
Nikki Cranley

****************************** CALL FOR BOOK CHAPTER PROPOSALS
===============================
Title: Wireless Multimedia: Quality of Service and Solutions

To be published by Idea Group Inc.
www.idea-group.com/

Introduction
============
The rapid advances in wireless technologies have brought about a demand for
high quality multimedia applications and services such as video telephony,
multimedia streaming, video games, audio streaming e.g. podcasting, IP HDTV
broadcasting and voice over IP. These advanced multimedia applications bring
a new set of challenges for providing Quality of Service (QoS) for
delivering these services over wireless networks. Wireless technologies are
becoming increasingly sophisticated and efficient enabling support for
higher bit rates. However, high and variable error rates and delays in
wireless systems are still significant obstacles for providing QoS support
for multimedia applications, especially when such variations occur on short
timescales with respect to the applications being supported. Multimedia
applications, in particular, impose significant resource requirements on
bandwidth constrained wireless networks. Under these conditions it is
difficult to provide any QoS guarantees.

QoS is a crucial part of wireless multimedia design and delivery. Poor QoS
results in poor service uptake by users which will result in the potential
offered by recent advances in wireless and multimedia technologies not fully
utilized. There are many aspects to QoS provisioning. These include
Network-layer QoS, Application-layer QoS and ultimately End-user QoS.
Network-layer QoS is concerned with the reliable and fast delivery of
multimedia data over the wireless technologies. Many new and emerging
wireless technologies such as IEEE 802.11e have been designed and developed
with integrated QoS enabling controls. However these controls need to be
configured and optimized in order to provide Application-layer QoS.
Application-layer QoS on the other hand is concerned with the quality of the
multimedia encoding, delivery, adaptation, decoding and play out on the
client device. End-user QoS is concerned with the end-user experience in
terms of audio and visual quality.

Typically these QoS layers are treated independently and in isolation yet
the QoS schemes implemented at each of these layers have an effect on each
other. It is essential for network managers, engineers and application
developers to have an understanding of the QoS schemes that are in place at
the network, application and end-user layer in order to be able to provide a
fully end-to-end QoS solution. The ultimate goal of these QoS is to maximize
end-user QoS. With such diversity of QoS issues for multimedia and wireless
technologies, there is an opportunity for novel QoS techniques to be
developed at all layers.

This book is intended to:
    * Identify each of these different layers of QoS and highlight the
underlying QoS issues that arise and affect the performance of multimedia
applications over wireless networks.
    * Present the QoS issues that arise with different types of multimedia
applications and services over different types of wireless technologies.
    * Present novel solutions and state of the art research that has been
done to address QoS issues for different wireless multimedia applications.

The Target Audience
===================
The target audience of this book includes network managers, engineers,
application developers, multimedia service providers, and university
students following advanced courses and research in multimedia streaming.
This book is designed to present background information and state of the art
technologies and practices in the field of wireless multimedia.

Recommended Topics (includes, but not limited to)
=================================================
Fundamentals in Quality of Service (QoS)
*    Network-level QoS
*    Application-level QoS

End-User QoS
*    Measuring voice user perceived quality
*    Measuring video user perceived quality

QoS Support in Multimedia Technologies
*    Multimedia Technologies: Codecs, Audio codecs, Video codecs, Voice
codecs
*    Multimedia Applications: Video on Demand, Video Streaming, Voice over
IP
*    Transport protocols: Data, session and signaling protocols
*    End-user QoS for Voice, Audio and Video: Objective metrics and
Subjective methods

QoS Support in Wireless Technologies
*    Overview of Wireless Technologies and Topologies: 3G/UMTS, WLAN, Mesh
networks, WiMax
*    Medium Access Control protocol
*    Resource Management Schemes
*    Seamless Wireless Handover techniques
*    Cross-layer QoS Solutions

State of the Art
*    Testbed, prototype, practical system and case studies
*    Future research trend of QoS service in wireless networks
*    Performance analysis, simulation and experiment

===============
Important Dates
===============
You are invited to submit a *** 1-3 page proposal *** describing the topic
of your chapter by January 1, 2007. The proposal should include the chapter
organization, number of pages of the final manuscript, and contact author
information.

Authors of accepted proposals will be notified by February 15, 2007 about
the status of their proposals and sent chapter organizational guidelines.
Full chapters are expected to be submitted by May 1, 2007. All submitted
chapters will be reviewed on a blind review basis. The book is scheduled to
be published by Idea Group, Inc., www.idea-group.com, publisher of the Idea
Group Publishing, Information Science Publishing, IRM Press, CyberTech
Publishing and Idea Group Reference imprints, in 2007.

Chapter description proposal submission deadline: January 1, 2007
Notification of proposal acceptance: February 15, 2007
Full chapter submission: May 1, 2007
Review report received: August 7, 2007
Final chapter submission: October 1, 2007

=======
Contact
=======
Dr. Nikki Cranley
Dr. Liam Murphy
School of Computer Science and Informatics,
University College Dublin,
Belfield,
Dublin 4,
Ireland
Email: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet