Subject: [manet] [CFP] Call for Book Chapter: Broadband Mobile Multimedia: Techniques and Applications (Deadline extended: 15, Dec. 2006)

From: "Yan ZHANG" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:51:08 +0100

We apologize in advance if you receive multiple copies of this CFP
=================================================================
CALL FOR BOOK CHAPTER

Title: Broadband Mobile Multimedia: Techniques and Applications (to be
published by Auerbach Publications, Taylor&Francis Group
http://www.crcpress.com/)

http://home.simula.no/~yanzhang/MMCFP.html

Introduction
============
Nowadays, we have experienced rich mediums and are expecting the new
services in both wire and wireless communications, e.g. voice, data, video,
text, image/picture, instant messenger etc. It is envisioned that more
services and mediums will appear in the Internet as well as wireless
scenarios. The increasing demand for multimedia communication drives the
development of consumer and enterprise markets as well as the evolution of
wireless technologies. The support of multimedia is believed to be one of
the pre-requisites to guarantee the success of the next generation wireless
networks.

However, a number of inherent challenges should be addressed in order to
smoothly transmit and delivery multimedia services. The first challenge is
the traffic characteristics. The second challenge is the emerging diversity
of wireless systems, architectures and standards. The traditional wireless
networks are infrastructure-based architecture, e.g. GSM and UMTS. Recently,
mobile ad hoc networks, sensor networks and mesh networks are emerging as
three typical multi-hop networks. The multimedia transmission in multi-hop
scenario is much more difficult than that in single-hop environment due to
the unavailability of coordinator in the procedures of topology formulation,
resource allocation and security management. As a consequence, the need to
develop techniques, protocols, algorithms, applications and architectures
for emerging wireless multimedia networks is at critical moment to achieve
the broadband high-speed, high-capacity and high-reliability requirements.

Recommended Topics(not limited to)
=================================
Techniques and Protocols
MIMO, smart antenna and distributed antenna systems 
Signal processing algorithms 
Cooperative transmission and reception 
Capacity and connectivity Spectrum management 
Cognitive radio 
OFDM, OFDM+MIMO 
Coding and transmission 
Medium Access Control protocol 
Routing, Broadcasting, Multicasting, Anycasting 
Channel assignment algorithms 
Adaptive/distributed algorithms 
Call admission control 
Topology control 
Scalability Fault-tolerance Load balancing algorithms 
Link adaptation algorithms 
Scheduling and congestion control 
Multimedia services 
Traffic modeling 
Quality-of-Service architecture, algorithms and provision 
Handoff management 
Mobility management architecture and strategy 
Network management and control 
Cross-layer design, modeling and optimization 
Resource, energy, security management mechanisms and interactions 
Access authentication, trustworthy networks, privacy and security Models 
End-to-end IP multimedia wireless communications 
Video, real-time streaming in wireless multimedia communications 
Multimedia content protection and security 
Pricing/Billing mechanisms Wireless multimedia systems introduction 
Testbed, prototype, practical system architecture 
Network planning and deployment 
Standardization activities, specifications and enhancements in the emerging
standards 
Performance analysis, simulation and experiment 
Anomaly, intrusion detection and error recovery 
Case studies and market analysis 
Multimedia information retrieval algorithms and tools 
Mobile middleware

In addition, multimedia communication in various mobile systems indicates
different properties and should employ different techniques to address the
issues. Accordingly, the recommended topics shalll be explored in the
following future wireless scenarios § Wireless ad hoc networks § Sensor
networks § Mesh networks § Wireless Personal Area Networks § Wireless Local
Area Networks § Wireless Metropolitan Area Networks § Wireless Wide Area
Networks § UMTS, TD-SCDMA, CDMA2000 § IMS § HSDPA § Wireless Internet §
Bluetooth, RFID, UWB, Zigbee, Wi-Fi, WiMAX § 3G, B3G and 4G Systems and
Networks § Peer-to-Peer networks § Grid networks

Important Dates
===============
You are invited to submit a 1-2 pages proposal discribing the topic of your
chapter. The proposal should include the chapter organization, number of
pages of the final manuscript and contact authors. 
Proposal Deadline: 15, Dec. 2006 
Notification of proposal acceptance: 30, Dec. 2006 
Full chapter submission: 30, March 2007 
Review report received: 30, May 2007 
Final version submission: 30, June 2007

Manuscript Submission
=====================
*Set as double-spaced
*Estimated, each chapter should has about 20 pages in the typeset format;
i.e. about 35-45 pages with double-space format.
***Note: each lead chapter author will get a free copy of the book.

Contact
=======
Please make correspondence and paper submissions to:

Dr. Yan ZHANG
Simula Research Laboratory, Norway
Email: yanzhang <AT> ieee.org

Dr. Shiwen Mao
Auburn University, USA
Email: smao <AT> ieee.org

Dr. Laurence T. Yang
St. Francis Xavier University, Canada
Email: lyang <AT> stfx.ca

Dr. Thomas M. Chen
Southern Methodist University, USA
Email: tchen <AT> engr.smu.edu 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet