Subject: [manet] Ph.D. positions in wireless sensor networks

From: Hongwei Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 11:13:27 -0500

To Prospective Students:

I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science at 
Wayne State University (a Research-I university, the highest rating 
issued by the Carnegie Foundation), USA. I am looking for talented 
students to join my research program, and I am writing to announce the 
Ph.D. positions currently available in my research group.

Our research focuses on foundational and systems issues in designing 
dependable services for dynamic and large scale systems (such as 
wireless sensor networks and the Internet). Examples of our work include 
application-adaptive messaging, reliable and real-time communication, 
and scalable dependability for wireless sensor networks. Presently, we 
are especially interested in the modeling and algorithmic issues in 
building dependable sensornet systems. Our work has provided dependable 
messaging services for several large scale sensor networks (including 
the one where more than 1,400 sensor nodes were deployed, the largest 
sensor network ever deployed so far), as a part of our effort in 
building the foundations and services for dependable sensornets. For 
more information about our research, please visit my webpage at 
http://www.cs.wayne.edu/~hzhang/.

By focusing on high-quality research, and by collaborating with other 
research groups in academia (e.g., The Ohio State University) and 
industry labs (e.g., Motorola Labs), my research program provides 
students with access to world-class facilities, real-world experience, 
and ample opportunities of contributing to the research community. 
Students in my research group will be supported financially in various 
forms, such as Fellowship, Graduate Research Assistantship, and Graduate 
Teaching Assistantship. Being in a strong department at an urban 
research university, you will also have a great life experience on 
campus here at the cultural center of Detroit, Michigan. (On a related 
note, The Scientist has recently ranked WSU as one of the best academic 
institutions to work in USA.)

As a part of my research effort, I am currently looking for talented 
students to join my research program as Ph.D. students. If you plan to 
apply for a Ph.D. position in my group, I will expect you to have strong 
academic background, to be self-motivated and goal-oriented, and to take 
initiative in executing research plans. Experience in systems building 
and mathematical modeling, experience in original research, and/or a 
Master degree in related fields (e.g., Computer Science, Computer 
Engineering)  are big pluses.

If you are interested in working with me as a Ph.D. student to conduct 
high-quality research, please feel free to contact me and share with me 
your background, career plan, and expectations for Ph.D. study. I will 
call or email you if there is a good match between us.

Thanks and best wishes.

Hongwei Zhang, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
Wayne State University, USA
Tel: +1 313 577 0731
E-mail: [email-masked]
Web: http://www.cs.wayne.edu/~hzhang/

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet