Subject: [manet] Small question to draft-dean-manet-metriclv-00

From: "Dominik Kaspar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 09:54:16 +0900

Hi Justin,

In Step 2 of the algorithm for computing the exponential metric
(Section 5.2), what is the variable "t"?

Regards,
Dominik

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Justin Dean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 14:54:08 -0400

The t should be a v and the "time value"  should just be value.  Sorry for
missing that change and thanks for pointing it out.
The method of representation is the same that the time tlv document uses.

Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominik Kaspar [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 8:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Small question to draft-dean-manet-metriclv-00

Hi Justin,

In Step 2 of the algorithm for computing the exponential metric (Section
5.2), what is the variable "t"?

Regards,
Dominik

---

From: Bo Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 08:01:07 -0400

Justin:

Could you please provide a few message/TLV node/link
examples showing the use of the metric TLV in the context
of packetbb. It is not clear (yet) how to put it all
together given the two drafts.  It appears that there is
substantial overhead if a node only needs to send one or
two (8-bit) metric values as defined in the drafts. It would
help to see the metric data as compared to the TLV data, and
how the metric TLVs fit within the packetbb format.

Thanks in advance
-Bo

draft-dean-manet-metriclv-00
=====================================
6.  Metric TLVs

   This document defines one message block TLV and one address block
   metric TLV.  Address block TLVs are broken down further into four
   different generalized types; node, outbound, inbound, and symmetric.

6.1.  Message TLV

   The message block TLV is used for signaling values associated with
   the local node.  If a metric message TLV is to be included in a
   message, the 0 bit of the msg-semantics field MUST be cleared and the
   originator-address MUST be included in the msg-header-info as defined
   in [1] .

6.2.  Address Block TLV

   The address block TVL is used for signaling values associated with
   addresses contained within the address block.

6.2.1.  Other Node Metric TLV

   The cost value carried by the metric is associated with the
   appropriate address contained in the address block.

6.2.2.  Outbound Link Metric TLV

   The cost value carried by the metric is associated with the
   directional link originating from the originator address and ending
   at the associated address contained in the address block.

6.2.3.  Inbound Link Metric TLV

   The cost value carried by the metric is associated with the
   directional link originating from the originator address and ending
   at the associated address contained in the address block.

6.2.4.  Symmetric Link Metric TLV

   The cost value carried by the metric is associated with the bi-
   directional link formed from the originator address and the
   associated address contained in the address block.

7.  Metric Subtype

   TLVs defined in this document MUST have the hassubtype bit set to 1
   in the tlv-semantics field as defined in [1] .  The subtype field of
   a metric TLV as defined in this document is comprised of two parts,
   the metric representation and the value type.  The three upper bits
   define which metric representation the values represent.  Usage of
   these bits is defined below.  The five lower bits allow for differing
   value types (delay and power being examples of differing value types)
   Usage and definitions for values included in this field is not
   defined in this document.

>From packetbb
======================================
5.3.  TLVs and TLV Blocks

   A TLV block is defined by:

       <tlv-block> = <tlvs-length>
                     <tlv>*

   where:

   <tlvs-length>  is a 16 bit field, which contains the total length (in
      octets) of all of the immediately following <tlv> elements.

   <tlv>  is defined in Section 5.3.1.

5.3.1.  TLVs

   There are three kinds of TLV, each represented by an element <tlv>:

   o  A packet TLV, included in a packet header.

   o  A message TLV, included in a message before all address blocks.

   o  An address block TLV, included in a TLV block following an address
      block.  An address block TLV applies to:

      *  all addresses in the address block; OR

      *  any continuous sequence of addresses in the address block; OR

      *  a single address in the address block.

   <tlv> is defined by:

       <tlv> = <tlv-type>
               <tlv-semantics>
               <tlv-subtype>?
               <index-start>?
               <index-stop>?
               <length>?
               <value>?

   where:

   <tlv-type>  is an 8 bit field, specifying the type of the TLV,
      specific to the TLV kind (i.e. packet, message, or address block
      TLV).