Subject: [manet] About the 802.11 SIFS value

From: "Brahim Ben" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 16:48:19 -0600

Hello,

I have two questions about the value of SIFS. 

1- Why it is not set to a zero?
2- how does any OS decide its value?

Thank you,
Taha Ben Brahim  

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Townsend, Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:15:34 -0500

> 1- Why it is not set to a zero?

Primarily this is to allow for processing time. The 802.11 Spec has to
allow for multiple implementations and allow them to work together.
While the relatively large values for SIFS may seem extreme in one
system, they may be challenging to meet in others. (At least when the
spec was written).

> 2- how does any OS decide its value?

Each 802.11 Phy has defined values. The 802.11g defines the SIFS to be
10us. The SIFS is the same for all data rates, again to allow multiple
user types equal access.

> Taha Ben Brahim  

Matt Townsend