Subject: [manet] Default metric in OLSRv2

From: L. Aaron Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:09:39 +0200

(re-sending due to 25KB limit on the mailing list).

On Oct 14, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:

> Can people please read the draft. Use of just hop count is NOT what
> is in the proposal. You only get hop count if you don't even use the
> metric TLV (so you get a default value, and all values default is -  
> for
> any metric - equivalent to hop count, just not one per hop).
>
> And adding more to the base draft is not the way to go. (In fact in an
> ideal world I'd go in exactly the opposite direction and break the  
> base
> draft into about three modular pieces.) A specific discussion of the
> particular merits of specific metrics, and reservation of a code point
> (group of TLV type extensions) is highly suited as a separate  
> document.
>

Maybe from the design point of documents you are right (adding stuff  
just creates big clogs).
But - try to read it from the perspective of OLSR implementors.
They will - as you stated above - try to read as little as possible ;))

So, I am also in favor of ETX *as an example* for how to add metrics  
but *within the v2* draft.
In that example section then you can point to further documents.
It is also about how people read it.

a.

---
there's no place like 127.0.0.1

(üäö)