Subject: [manet] DLEP and broadcast/multicast

From: Vikram KAUL <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:14:30 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Folks

  I have some questions about how DLEP handles multicast/broadcast traffic 
and the intents that the router might have to send to the modem device. 
Some of this might have been answered; but I couldn't find it in the 
archives

  The inherent nature of DLEP seems focused on neighbor relationships and 
link characteristics (MDR, CDR, Latency, etc) are focused on individual 
neighbors as identifed by the 'MAC Address Sub-TLV' which is mandatory in 
most of the messages

  My question is related to broadcast and/or multicast traffic that would 
emanate from a router. Let us presume that the underlying multicast 
protocol is SMF for ease of discussion... but it could be anything that 
forwards native multicast packets, either via flooding or after creating 
trees.

  How can one use DLEP to specify the MDR/CDR or latency requirements for 
those flows ? Is it even possible to do so ? I understand how one could do 
it for individual links to neighbors. But if I presume that multicast and 
broadcast is the predominant traffic (say 70%-80%, and I don't believe I 
am wrong about that), how can one use DLEP   "Link Characteristics Request 
Message" to specify that traffic to a particular MAC address should be 
able to get at least what is specified by the CDR Sub-TLV

  Typically (but not always) MAC addresses for multicast IP packets are set 
to  01:00:xx:yy:zz:aa for a destination multicast address of xx.yy.zz.aa. 
Could one not have that 01:00:xx:yy:zz:aa MAC Address Sub-TLV so that the 
modem could identify that traffic to that MAC Address (and hence traffic 
to that destination multicast IP address) needs to get at least that data 
rate. How the modems would achieve that is a separate question, but DLEP 
does not delve into those answers anyway

  Again, it might be that the charter for DLEP is to focus specifically on 
one-to-one relationships (and hence one-to-one specifications and 
conditions). Could the specs not be augmented to support something on 
one-to-many specifications ? Just thinking aloud.

regards..
Vikram

---

From: "A. Riley Eller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:01:47 -0700

Perhaps the DLEP specification would benefit from accepting a pseudo-link identifier for multicast messages? 

My team's research shows that EFT implementations achieve higher overall accuracy by measuring multicast messages as a universal estimator for queuing-plus-congestion. Giving DLEP the ability to describe that value, and also gaining the ability to control the radio's performance for multicast traffic, would be a valuable addition.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Vikram KAUL
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 8:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] DLEP and broadcast/multicast

Folks

regards..
Vikram
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet