Subject: [manet] MANET management use cases

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 17:43:12 -0700

Hi,

we got a request (read: "DISCUSS") from Benoit Claise during NHDP-MIB IESG
evaluation to specify use cases how MANETs are monitored and managed using
SNMP. After discussion with Benoit and Adrian, we agreed that such
information would be useful, but that the MIB module (as pure APIs) would
likely be the wrong place. Moreover, the use cases would not necessarily be
specific to the NHDP-MIB, but concern all MIB modules. Benoit requested
that we come up with a new informational draft in the WG, which discusses
different MANET management use cases.

Bob started working on collecting management and monitoring scenarios from
the military experience. I believe that it would also be interesting to
cover other use cases, such as in disaster recovery (e.g., monitoring and
management of routers thrown out of an airplane over a disaster area) or in
community networks (e.g., FreiFunk/FunkFeuer networks in Europe).
Investigating these examples can help to come up with a more abstract model
of different management and monitoring approaches. It would be helpful if
participants in this WG with MANET deployment and management/monitoring
experience could contribute to such an effort.

As a side note, there is a new mailing list about management of constrained
networks and devices ([email-masked]), which may be of interest for some of
the WG participants.

Best regards
Ulrich