Subject: [manet] NHDP-MIB: ifType

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 17:29:43 -0700

Hi,

we are currently working on a revised ID of the NHDP-MIB, as follow-up on
requests during the IESG review. Amongst others, one request from Thomas
Nadeau may affect other MIB documents as well, which is why I post it on
the mailing list.

The current interface table in the NHDP-MIB is a copy of the interface MIB,
with potentially many entries that are not MANET interfaces (but still
waste space). What we are really interested in is monitoring and managing
NHDP interfaces. Thomas Nadeau suggested to ask IANA to specify a ifType=MANET
(as allowed by RFC2863 and the IANAifType registry), and to list only those
in the NHDP-MIB. Bob and I propose that IANA allocates such an ifType,
which covers all MANET WG protocols, i.e. ifType=MANET would be used for
interfaces running NHDP, OLSRv2, SMF, DYMO, etc. In the NhdpIfTable, there
is an additional boolean flag which determines whether the interface uses
NHDP or not (i.e., if a router runs both DYMO and NHDP, the DYMO-only
interfaces would be listed in the nhdpIfTable, but the boolean flag is
false).

Best regards
Ulrich