Subject: [manet] #6: sequence number incrementation mandate

From: "manet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 05:07:35 -0000

#6: sequence number incrementation mandate

 Previous versions of DYMO *strongly recommend* incrementation of
 !OwnSeqNum upon generation of every new RREQ or RREP message, but do not
 impose a strict mandate.  This leads to some uncertainty about whether
 there are cases when the incrementation should not be performed.
 Demonstrations have been made in the past about the differences, but it is
 not clear that these differences have caused any performance degradation.

 For the purposes of making the current document more readable, and since
 there seems to be little downside, it is proposed to change "SHOULD"
 increment to "MUST" increment in all relevant cases, including RREQ
 retries.
 If future studies illustrate the circumstances under which sequence number
 incrementation may be avoided, description of those circumstances should
 be added to the document and the specification changed in those
 circumstances.

-- 
--------------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  charliep@…          |      Owner:  Charlie Perkins
     Type:  enhancement         |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major               |  Milestone:
Component:  dymo                |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |   Keywords:  Sequence number management
--------------------------------+----------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/6>
manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>