Subject: [manet] VANET

From: Anupam Jamatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 22:17:48 +0530

| Henning asked about context of your question - please provide more.
| Something like - is this simulation with ns or protocol implementation?
| Is it for a deployment of WAVE?  What is WAVE in your perspective?  Is
| there a list of primitive WAVE operations that you wonder how to combine?
\--

Hi , Actually I am trying to figure out the  possible ways to count
vehicles or to know the actual position when the vehicles are in stopping
position  in VANET  using WAVE technologies. One possible ways is from RSU
to  OBU a PDU can be sent and then OBU to OBU until the last vehicle . Every
vehicle periodically advertises this information to its neighbor vehicles
and a vehicle is thus informed about all other vehicles located within its
direct communication range. If a vehicle intends to send data to a known
target geographic location, it chooses another vehicle as a
message relay, which is located in the direction towards the target
position. The same procedure is executed by every vehicle on the multihop
path until the destination is reached and then again from Destination to
source.This can be require to implement in parking booking. ANY OTHER WAY
TO COUNT ? Next generation vehicles are expected to exchange information
not only beyond their immediate surroundings and line-of-sight with other
vehicles, but also with the road infrastructure and Internet databases. Not
yet decided the simulation with ns or other tools like NCTUns. I am very
novice in this field.

Regards
--
AJ

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 20:38:31 +0100

Dear Anupam,

I understand an Road Side Unit (RSU) would send data to On-Board Units
(OBUs) which would then relay from vehicle to vehicle, and back to
source.  I suppose a packet would hold a field (maybe the Hop Limit
field) that gets decremented or incremented as packets go.  And finally
the src would examine this packet to find the count.

Another means, which 'traceroute' uses, is for the src to send packets
in sequence: one to the first hop, another to the second hop, and so on,
until reaching the destination.  For each of these packets it expects a
reply.  There are as many vehicles as there are replies.

It is very easy to set up a testbed and try some of these techniques.
Suffices it of a few laptops, wireless interfaces and a unix software
distribution like linux, bsd or android.

But what is very difficult is to set up an IP addressing architecture
plan and implement it in these laptops, albeit manually first.  And also
see how the IP subnets are formed between each of these laptops.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Le 05/11/2012 17:47, Anupam Jamatia a écrit :
> | Something like - is this simulation with ns or protocol
> implementation? | Is it for a deployment of WAVE?  What is WAVE in
> your perspective?  Is | there a list of primitive WAVE operations
> that you wonder how to combine? \--
>
> vehicles or to know the actual position when the vehicles are in
> stopping position  in VANET  using WAVE technologies. One possible
> ways is from RSU to  OBU a PDU can be sent and then OBU to OBU until
> the last vehicle . Every vehicle periodically advertises this
> information to its neighbor vehicles and a vehicle is thus informed
> about all other vehicles located within its direct communication
> range. If a vehicle intends to send data to a known target
> geographic location, it chooses another vehicle as a message relay,
> which is located in the direction towards the target position. The
> same procedure is executed by every vehicle on the multihop path
> until the destination is reached and then again from Destination to
> source.This can be require to implement in parking booking. ANY OTHER
> WAY TO COUNT ? Next generation vehicles are expected to exchange
> information not only beyond their immediate surroundings and
> line-of-sight with other vehicles, but also with the road
> infrastructure and Internet databases. Not yet decided the simulation
> with ns or other tools like NCTUns. I am very novice in this field.
>
> Regards -- AJ