Subject: [manet] MANIAC Challenge 2013 - Call for Papers/Hacking

From: Emmanuel Baccelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:55:42 +0100 (CET)

Folks, 

You like to work on mobile ad hoc networking? 
You like to code? 
You like to compete? 
Join us and consider the following Call for Papers and Hacking! 

** Call for Short Papers for the 3rd MANIAC Challenge ** 

Co-located with the 87th IETF meeting in Berlin, Germany 
July 27 - August 2, 2013 

http://2013.maniacchallenge. org 

Sponsored by: Google, ISOC, IETF, IRTF, ANR, and BMBF 

The MANIAC Challenge is a competition to better understand cooperation and 
interoperability in ad hoc networks. Competing teams students/researchers 
come together to form a wireless ad hoc network, while simultaneously 
connected to a backbone of access points. The organizers will generate 
traffic coming from the backbone, destined to somewhere in the network. A 
hop-by-hop bidding contest decides the path of each data packet towards its 
destination. 

Each team usually consists of two to three people. Teams will be judged 
based on how much of the traffic they relay gets to its destination. To get 
their traffic across the network, each team must rely on other teams 
willingness to forward traffic for them. We have developed software and an 
API over Android to allow teams to program their nodes, in particular 
override forwarding decisions made by the routing protocol and participate 
in the hop-by-hop bidding contest. 

------------------------------ ------------------ 
Topic of 3rd MANIAC Challenge: Mobile Offloading 
------------------------------ ------------------ 

The specific focus of the MANIAC Challenge 2013 is on developing and 
comparatively evaluating strategies to offload infrastructure access points 
via customer ad hoc forwarding using handhelds (e.g., smartphones, 
tablets). The incentive for customers is discounted monthly fees, and the 
incentive for operators is decreased infrastructure costs. The idea is to 
demonstrate scenarios/strategies that do not degrade user experience while 
offering significant mobile offloading on the infrastructure. 
Details about the scenario and competition rules are available at 
http://2013.maniacchallenge. org/rules-setup . 

---------- 
Submission 
---------- 

We solicit the submission of short papers (max. 2 pages IEEE double-column 
format) describing strategies for mobile offloading. After being 
peer-reviewed, authors of selected submissions will be invited to 
participate in the MANIAC Challenge and to attend the IETF meeting. We 
highly encourage authors to continue the development of the offloading 
strategy during the review time. 

Please, submit your short paper via email to [email-masked]. de . 

------------- 
Participation 
------------- 

Author participation will consist in attending the MANIAC Challenge in 
Berlin, Germany, July 27 - 28, 2013. Authors are also invited to attend the 
IETF/IRTF meeting July 28 - August 2, 2013. Participation in the MANIAC 
Challenge is free of charge. Registration costs (at full-time student rate) 
for the IETF/IRTF meeting are sponsored by ISOC. 

Authors bring an implementation of the strategy described in the paper 
submitted by the author, running on the common API and the common hardware 
used for the event: the Nexus 7 tablet. The MANIAC API and software will be 
released with the notification of acceptance. Hardware will be provided by 
the organizers if necessary. 

Each participant will then concurrently run its strategy during the 
contest, taking place on July 27th at the Freie Universität Berlin. The 
following day, a workshop will take place at the IETF venue, where we will 
summarize and discuss the results of the contest. 

The winners of the MANIAC Challenge 2013 will be announced during the IRTF 
Open Meeting, which is part of the IETF/IRTF week with high visibility. The 
IRTF Open Meeting usually will be attended by more than 100 experts from 
industry and academia working on Internet Engineering. 

Winners will take home some prizes to be determined with sponsors. Competing 
teams will be provided complimentary IETF registration enabling them to attend 
the 87th IETF meeting in Berlin, July 28 - August 2nd. 

Details about the submission and participation are available at 
http://2013.maniacchallenge. org/participation/ 

------------ 
Mailing List 
------------ 

If you are interested in the MANIAC Challenge 2013, please subscribe to 
the mailing list [email-masked] berlin.de . We will inform you 
about updates. 
https://lists.fu-berlin.de/ listinfo/maniac2013-info# subscribe 

--------------- 
Important Dates 
--------------- 
- Deadline for short paper submission: May 5, 2013 
- Notification of acceptance: May 12, 2013 
- Release of API and software: May 12, 2013 
- MANIAC challenge dates: July 27 - 28, 2013 
- IETF/IRTF meeting: July 28 - August 2, 2013 

---------------- 
MANIAC Co-Chairs 
---------------- 

- Emmanuel Baccelli (INRIA) 
- Oliver Hahm (INRIA) 
- Felix Juraschek (Freie Universität Berlin) 
- Thomas Schmidt (HAW Hamburg) 
- Heiko Will (Freie Universität Berlin) 
- Matthias W ählisch (Freie Universität Berlin) 

------- 
Contact 
------- 
For questions, please contact [email-masked] berlin.de