Subject: [manet] draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-dat-metric-00 - Datarate Encoding (DAT_MINIMUM_BITRATE)

From: Hagen Paul Pfeifer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 14:28:12 +0200

Hello Henning,

one short note? Why is DAT_MINIMUM_BITRATE (1024) a basis 2 constant
(2^n) and not basis 10 constant (10^n). I mean it is just a constant
and can be anything. But networking natural way is to use kbit/s
(kilobit) opposed to Kibit/s (kibibit). Any thoughts on that?

Cheers, Hagen

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 14:31:55 +0200

Hi,

I did it in a power of 2 because the encoding of the metric is also in
factors of a power of 2... I have no real preference here, we could
change this.

Henning

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Hagen Paul Pfeifer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Hagen Paul Pfeifer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 17:50:12 +0200

> factors of a power of 2... I have no real preference here, we could

Then I vote for a change in -01 Henning. Just because it is common to use
decimal prefix for bandwidth/datarate.

Thank you, Hagen