Subject: [manet] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath-00.txt

From: Jiazi YI <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 00:15:11 +0200

Hi,

A new draft  draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath (
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath-00.txt)
has been submitted.

It is a multipath extension of OLSRv2 (and fully interoperable with
OLSRv2), which explores multiple disjoint paths to improve the reliability
of data forwarding in MANETs.

Several open source implementations of the protocol (for both testbed and
simulations) have been existed for years, and a lot of study has been
conducted. More details about the implementations can be found at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath-00#section-10

We have requested a slot in the next IETF meeting. Your comments on the
draft are appreciated.

regards

Jiazi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath-00.txt
To: Jiazi Yi <[email-masked]>, Benoit Parrein <
[email-masked]>, Benoit Parrein <
[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Jiazi Yi and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath
Revision:       00
Title:          Multi-path Extension for the Optimized Link State Routing
Protocol version 2 (OLSRv2)
Document date:  2014-07-04
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          15
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath/
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath-00

Abstract:
   This document specifies a multi-path extension to the Optimized Link
   State Routing Protocol version 2 (OLSRv2) to discover multiple
   disjoint paths, so as to improve reliability of the OLSRv2 protocol.
   The interoperability with OLSRv2 is retained.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 08:23:24 +0200

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:15 AM, Jiazi YI <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A new draft  draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath
> (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath-00.txt)
> has been submitted.
>
> It is a multipath extension of OLSRv2 (and fully interoperable with OLSRv2),
> which explores multiple disjoint paths to improve the reliability of data
> forwarding in MANETs.

Is this extension inter-operable with the Multi-Topology extension of
Christopher?

> simulations) have been existed for years,

OLSRv2 implementations?

Is there an open source implementation of OLSRv2 (RFC7181 compliant)
that could be used for an interop test?

> and a lot of study has been

The source code link for SEREADMO gives me a 404 error.

The other implementation(s) seem to be simulation only, right?

Henning Rogge

---

From: Jiazi YI <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 12:25:42 +0200

Hi Henning,

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Henning Rogge <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > (
> )
> OLSRv2),

Yes. The multipath extension just makes use of the topology information
obtained by OLSRv2. It doesn't care what kind of metric is used. In fact,
it might be even interesting to make use of the multi-topology information
to build multiple paths.

> The source code link for SEREADMO gives me a 404 error.
Sorry. should work now.

> The other implementation(s) seem to be simulation only, right?

The umOLSR and olsrd based implementations are OLSR implementations. The
umOLSR is for NS2 simulation.
The implementation based on nOLSRv2 is now mainly for Qualnet simulations.
But as nOLSRv2 can run with both simulation and real devices, the multipath
extension can be exported to run with real network interface in the future.

Although some of the implementations are for OLSR (when the extension was
first developed, OLSRv2 was still in preliminary phase), the multipath
algorithm can be applied to both OLSR and OLSRv2. The experience obtained
can be helpful to understand the performance of the algorithm.

The reasons that the simulation code is developed and published are 1) it
can allow us to estimate the performance in large-scale networks (of
course, it's still have some distance to the real world :).  2) for a lot
of developers and researchers, the simulation is still the most convenient
and cost effective way to study and analyse a protocol.

best

Jiazi