Subject: Re: [manet] request for WG adoption: draft-yi-manet-olsrv2-multipath

From: "Xiangren Hui" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 06:25:15 +0800 (CST)

hello,

Our team has done some work based on the reference you provided, and I think it's interesting to have it specified as RFC.
Some questions to the authors:

1. This draft is actually a bit different from the papers you published. Some functions are removed. Could you please explain what's your consideration?

2. In the internet draft, it seems that the protocol only allows the OLSR-mp routers do source routing. In fact, some routers have source routing option, so they can be used also?

cheers

Xiangren

---

From: Jiazi YI <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:54:49 +0200

Hi,

Glad to see your comments on the mailing list. Please check inline:

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Xiangren Hui <[email-masked]> wrote:

> hello,
>
> Our team has done some work based on the reference you provided, and I
> think it's interesting to have it specified as RFC.
> 1. This draft is actually a bit different from the papers you published.
> Some functions are removed. Could you please explain what's your
> consideration?
>

The papers in the reference were mainly finished before 2010, and published
in 2011. After that, there are continuous improvement of the protocol,
especially "engineering" improvements.
The research papers are mainly introducing ideas, and provide performance
analyses. It's hard to produce interoperable implementations (for example,
it won't specify what a TLV looks like, and its code point).
Before we bring the draft to IETF, we eliminated some "research" functions,
mainly for simplicity, efficiency and interoperability (especially the
interoperability with OLSRv2).
However, the idea and algorithm are not changed. Therefore, the results in
the references are still valid.

>
> 2. In the internet draft, it seems that the protocol only allows the
> OLSR-mp routers do source routing. In fact, some routers have source
> routing option, so they can be used also?
>

Geoff proposed similar concern on this off the list a few days ago. So
please just allow me to copy the reply directly :)

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Geoff Ladwig <[email-masked]>
 wrote:

> Hi Jiazi,
>
>
>
> Is there an assumption that only MP-OLSR routers can do source routing?
>
> Source routing is a fairly common dataplane feature on commercial routers.
>
>
>
It's true that a lot of commercial routers support source routing. But at
least, based on our experience, it's probably not the case for MANET
routers.

For example, in IPv6, the original source routing header Type 0 is
deprecated (RFC 5095). For some routers that support source routing, it's
possible that the source routing function is turned off by default.
The source routing header for IPv6 used by MP-OLSR is RFC 6554 -- we don't
know if an OLSRv2 router will support it or not. By default, it's not
supported.

Therefore, a safe assumption is that only let MP-OLSR routers take care of
the source routing header.

best

Jiazi