Subject: [manet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 07:50:58 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : An Optimization for the MANET Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)
        Authors         : Christopher Dearlove
                          Thomas Heide Clausen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-03.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2014-09-05

Abstract:
   The link quality mechanism of the MANET Neighborhood Discovery
   Protocol (NHDP) enables "ignoring" some 1-hop neighbors if the
   measured link quality from that 1-hop neighbor is below an acceptable
   threshold, while still retaining the corresponding link information
   as acquired from HELLO message exchange.  This allows immediate
   reinstatement of the 1-hop neighbor if the link quality later
   improves sufficiently.

   NHDP also collects information about symmetric 2-hop neighbors.
   However it specifies that if a link from a symmetric 1-hop neighbor
   ceases being symmetric, including while "ignored" as described above,
   then corresponding symmetric 2-hop neighbors are removed.  This may
   lead to symmetric 2-hop neighborhood information being permanently
   removed (until further HELLO messages are received) if the link
   quality of a symmetric 1-hop neighbor drops below the acceptable
   threshold, even if only for a moment.

   This specification updates RFC6130 "Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET)
   Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)", and RFC7181 "The Optimized
   Link State Routing Protocol version 2 (OLSRv2)" to permit retaining,
   but ignoring, symmetric 2-hop information when the link quality from
   the corresponding 1-hop neighbor drops below the acceptable
   threshold.  This allows immediate reinstatement of the symmetric
   2-hop neighbor if the link quality later improves sufficiently, thus
   making the symmetric 2-hop neighborhood more "robust".

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/