Subject: [manet] Regarding use of Reed-Solomon code in wireless networks

From: Debarshi Sanyal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 19:43:32 +0530

Hi,

We were working on design of wormhole detection methods in MANETs.
To achieve detection, we propose to measure the time taken for a test nonce
to move from one node to it's neighbor node.

Now to combat channel errors, is it worth to encode the nonce with
Reed-Solomon code?

Our understanding is that propagation time between neighbor nodes in
commodity wi-fi setups is much smaller than the time taken to encode and
decode a nonce (say, 64 bytes long).

We would be immensely thankful if you could throw some light on this since
we do not have access to hardware platforms to get real measurements.

Regards,
Debarshi Kumar Sanyal

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 18:56:24 +0200

> decode a nonce (say, 64 bytes long).

It depends on a lot of things... while transmission might be fast,
media access can be very slow in the presence of traffic and hidden
terminals.

Henning Rogge