Subject: [manet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-manet-tlv-naming-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 12:44:05 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : TLV Naming in the MANET Generalized Packet/Message Format
        Authors         : Christopher Dearlove
                          Thomas Heide Clausen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-manet-tlv-naming-02.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2015-05-07

Abstract:
   TLVs (type-length-value structures) as defined by RFC5444 have both a
   type (one octet) and a type extension (one octet), together forming a
   full type (of two octets).  RFC5444 sets up IANA registries for TLV
   types, specifying that an allocation of a TLV type entails creation
   of an IANA registry for the corresponding type extensions.

   In some cases, reserving all 256 type extensions for use for a common
   purpose for a given TLV is meaningful, and thus it makes sense to
   record a common name for such a TLV type (and all of its type
   extensions) in the corresponding IANA registries.  An example of such
   is a LINK_METRIC TLV Type, with its type extensions reserved for use
   to be indicating the "kind" of metric expressed by the value of the
   TLV.

   In some other cases, there may not be 256 full types that share a
   common purpose and, as such, it is not meaningful to record a common
   name for all the type extensions for a TLV type in the corresponding
   IANA registries.  Rather, it is appropriate to record an individual
   name per full type.

   This document reorganizes the naming of already allocated TLV types
   and type extensions in those registries to use names appropriately.
   It has no consequences in terms of any protocol implementation.

   This document also updates the Expert Review guidelines from RFC5444,
   so as to establish a policy for consistent naming of future TLV type
   and type extension allocations.  It makes no other changes to
   RFC5444.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-tlv-naming/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-manet-tlv-naming-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-manet-tlv-naming-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/